RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

Stickbuilder 03-11-2007 07:30 PM

RE: WACO YMF

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the rest of the tail assembled. I sluffed off today (the wife and I went down to Disney for a little while). You gotta take a break every now and then, and we have annual passes (we could go every day), and she told me that I wanted to go, and well, you know:eek: I think that they were holding the ugliest woman in the universe contest at Disney today. I've never seen so many at one time and in one place....[:@]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

HarryJ 03-11-2007 09:23 PM

What happend to the 45 degree angle you were going to put on the rudder? Can't say I blame you for making it straight, probably do the same myself. [sm=49_49.gif]

Stickbuilder 03-12-2007 04:18 AM

Harry,

From everything that I have been able to find, the counterbalanced rudder has only/ was only used on a couple of the YMF's and they appear to be the newer WACO from Classic Aircraft. I have not been able to find any mention of that rudder design ever being used on an original WACO YMF. Maybe I overlooked something, so if anyone has information to the contrary, please post it. Some of the more modern tailwheels that we see are also on the Classic version, since virtually every one that I have found on the originals used the fairing for the strut. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with the New WACO, these are not what I wish to model, but am more interested in the WACO's from the 30's.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

ctflyboy 03-12-2007 01:37 PM

***** MEMBERS OF THE WACO BROTHERHOOD*****
As I was skimming thru my April issue of R/C Report, I just so happen to see a 1/5th scale WACO pictured,hanging from a ceiling,I said to myself,self I have seen that plane before,as I read further into the article I see that we should feel HONORED, as the plane belongs to none other than our "FOUNDER" ( STICKBUILDER ) .

NICE GOING, BILL

George
WACO Brotherhood # 5

Stickbuilder 03-12-2007 04:12 PM

Dang, I don't have my copy yet.....Slobber....Drool.....I can't wait to see it. I guess that this is going to be, "My Year".....I have another announcement to make. I'll post it later.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

khodges 03-12-2007 07:41 PM

Diggin' around the 'net today, have a look:

www.nationalwacoclub.com/f3f5album

lots of original Wacos, some good shots to compare things like V-tail and rudder, ribbed ailerons, and UMF and YMF cowls. A few are even in color.

Nightstalker 03-12-2007 08:08 PM

VERRRRY Cool, Lt! The Master Chief is gonna be "up" all night lookin' at those photos :D. Oh, and nice job on the spring gear mechanism in your previous post... you were an Air Force officer???... Well done, Sir!!!

And Bravo Zulu to you Master Chief for gettin' da"Tink" published in the RC Report.

On another note Bill, you and the Lt. have been writing about Koverall techniques in another forum and I would like to request some semi-detailed photos when you guys start covering. I got a container of some lightweight spackle, and I can't get the stuff to adhere to my clean, smooth balsa... am I not holding my mouth right? Or do I need to moisten it up somehow? Water?Thinner? Beer?... It's already over a hunder'd degrees in my shop and my barometer doesn't go that low for a humidity reading... man I'm thirsty... at least my beer is refrigerated out there[8D]. I have a some planes I want to re-cover with Koverall and paint'em up real "Shiney" like, but I want to do it right.

Thanks,

Nightstalker (Doggie 47)

Stickbuilder 03-12-2007 08:21 PM

Try spraying a little (that is really a little ) water on the surface that you want to fill. Moisten your fingertip when applying the Spackle, and that should cure your problem (as if you should need to tell a helicopter driver not to suck his thumb or finger). The stuff just needs to be poked in the low spot, and don't try to get it smooth (that's what sandpaper is for). Give it 24 hours to dry and lightly sand it off (the excess). You'll get the hang of it.

I can't stay up all night reading about the plane, Dang it...My copy didn't come today. All I got today was my new issue of Hot Boat, with all the Bikini Girls hiding those beautiful high horsepower engines...;)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 03-12-2007 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

you were an Air Force officer???

Nightstalker (Doggie 47)
Yeah, he was an Officer and a Gentleman, but it took an act of Congress to make him one!!!:D:D:D

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Nightstalker 03-12-2007 08:56 PM

Hey thanks Bill - I don't know if you realize how dry and hot it is here in the desert... Stuff is light though. Just like you said. I picked up the container at Home Depot, and I could have sworn it was empty.. 'nfact... the container would feel heavier if I scooped out all of the contents. I'll try the water method... and with this heat and humidity it should be ready for sanding in a matter of minutes... (I'll sand tommorow).

Got a bunch of Sig nitrate dope, thinner and the K-all is on order. Can't wait to try it out. Great tips!!! I am going to start on some of my 30 year old control line planes for starters and see what this "Shiney" airplane thang is all about... Then some of my "non-shiney" RC's and future RC's... good practice.

Helicopter guys can't suck their finger and thumb at the same time... takes too much concentration and coordination... unlike Barn Buzzin' [8D] Or beer guzzlin'... Off to spackle...

Out Here,

Todd

Doggie 47

bart5495 03-12-2007 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok you Guys. Here is the plane that I drove to Sacomento from Seattle to pick up. It had been hanging in a hobby shop for sometime, but overall I think it's in pretty good shape. I'm having a little problem wondering how the servo's would mount when the floor to the cocpit is so low. The push rods are bound up resting on the bottom of the floor. I think I may have to cut the floor out. Also, take a look at the gear transition. Looks like I need to remove it or fill the gaps. Any Idea's? I've had the plane for about a month now. My business is taking much of time these days.

Thanks for reading

Doug
Waco Brotherhood #11

damifino 03-12-2007 10:00 PM

Looks like you've got a good head start on having a really nice looking airplane. Is the main color real creamy or more like off-white? I like the color scheme a lot.

bart5495 03-12-2007 10:35 PM

damifino: It's off white. The surface is not smooth. I't will need a good wet sanding and then maybe a clear coat. I'm not sure what type of paint was used. I ment to ask you how the pit crewman is that got run over during the 'Daytona 500. On TV ,it look like his ankle got twisted really bad.
Hope all is well in NC.

Doug
Waco Brotherhood #11

HarryJ 03-12-2007 11:52 PM

Bill,
A garden hose like a light sprinkling here. Everything is dry by the time you get your finger in the spackle. The 24 hour drying time is reduced to an hour or less. I'm using Koverall also and the nitrate dope has to be thinned to about 50/50.

Nightstalker 03-13-2007 12:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

you were an Air Force officer???

Nightstalker (Doggie 47)
Yeah, he was an Officer and a Gentleman, but it took an act of Congress to make him one!!!:D:D:D

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Well, our Congress has been known to make a few good decisions once in awhile...
;)

Now, how do you get this ***** (spackle) out from under your fingernails...??? Lickin' and suckin' ain't workin'...

Time for Grandpa's bedtime....

Oh yeah, forgot the latest news... Just got a brand new Grandkid (#2)... 9 lbs 3 oz UAW... first "boy" in my family since me and my Dad (if you include this Doggie)...:D Already gettin' him used to spackle, Nitrate fumes and balsa dust. Gotta wait for the X-acto's and straight edges... those are dangerous for li'l tikes...

'night 'night

Todd (Nightstalker)

Doggie 47

Stickbuilder 03-13-2007 04:06 AM

Todd,

Congratulations on the newbie...As to how to get the spackle out from under your fingernails, get in the shower (with the water running)(warm to hot is better)(ya gotta tell them doggies everything to do) and grab the shampoo and pour some in your hand. Wash your hair, massaging your scalp. The spackle is now gone from under your fingernails. How do you get lightweight spackle out of your hair????? Good question.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 03-13-2007 04:12 AM

Doug,

Looks as if you got lucky, and got one of the later kits (judging from the plastic parts like the gear cuffs, and the wing fillet) I would suggest that you remove the dowell pushrods, and go with something like the Sullivan Pushrods that use a tube-in-tube system. Then mount the servo's ahead of the cockpit floor. As to the gaps that you are talking about...fill them with lightweight spackle, hit the filler with some clear sealer (since you don't know what the plane is painted with) and spot the paint in.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

HarryJ 03-13-2007 11:12 AM

Todd,
Try rubber gloves, they work great for spackle and epoxies. When finished just toss them in the trash and your hands are clean.

Nightstalker 03-13-2007 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: HarryJ

Todd,
Try rubber gloves, they work great for spackle and epoxies. When finished just toss them in the trash and your hands are clean.
Thanks Harry - You mean toss the gloves in the trash? Or my planes? :D

The spackle under the nails wasn't really a problem. More or less just being a wise *****. But for the more toxic stuff I use chemical resistant finger cots and they work great.

Good tip about the shower thing Bill... I always wondered what those knobs were for in there... I feel cleaner than ever now that I know how to turn the water on.... ain't technology great? :)

Harry, PM me when you're going to be out at your field. I'm assuming it's the one in east Mesa ('bout an hour drive for me), but I'd like to meet up with you some time.

Todd

Doggie 47

old git 03-13-2007 03:54 PM

I have found by observation that by pushing the tongue through the lips and contorting it helps considerably when carrying out delicate tasks.

Helicopter guys can't suck their finger and thumb at the same time... takes too much concentration and coordination... unlike Barn Buzzin' [8D] Or beer guzzlin'... Off to spackle...

Out Here,

Todd

Doggie 47
Another gratuitous suggestion I can make from personal experience on the subject of removing spackle or other substances from the skin.
If hands become contaminated (with for example old engine oil), making bread removes every trace of the discolouration.

Enjoy your meal!

old git - - - - - - - aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

Nightstalker 03-13-2007 04:35 PM

Note to Self.... Pass on the bread while traveling in the U.K. :D

Thanks John!

Doggie 47

Stickbuilder 03-13-2007 07:11 PM

Note to Self.... Pass on the bread while traveling in the U.K. :D

Thanks John!

Doggie 47
Lemme see....Don't drink the water in Mexico....Don't eat the bread in the U.K....Don't eat chittlins anywhere.... Don't eat the Cranberrys in Maine...Dang, I'm gonna fet skinny. :D

I spent a little while forming the headrest this evening. That's the logical procession when starting at the tail. The Robart Razor Plane and the old sanding block made fairly short work of the piece. It's ready to cover. I'm going to re-do the tail wheel strut, I think that it makes the plane sit at an odd angle (it's too dang short) So since I'm going to do the fairing on this one, I'm going to need to draw it out, and just make one.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

damifino 03-13-2007 09:16 PM

BART- Don't know about the guy who got injured in Daytona. I don't travel to the races and we've been so darned busy at the shop I only have time to worry about our stuff. Hope things turn around for us real soon. One of our cars (22) can't get to the checkered flag and the other one (36) hasn't seen the green flag yet this year. I've been doing the racing gig for 15 years now, it will get better, just gotta keep on diggin'.

Cut out all my parts' patterns last night, separated them into categories of 'one each', 'cut two' and 'cut four', etc. Now, when I begin cutting wood, I'll be able to quickly nest my patterns on the balsa to eliminate waste. I'll stack sheets for the two's, four's, etc. I picked up an alphabet/number rubber stamp set ($15.99) at Michael's craft store and have been using it to label my parts as I cut them. The characters are 3/8" tall in a Times Roman font. Looks cool and I can keep up with the parts a lot easier that way. I had to order a sheet of 1/4" aircraft ply from the LHS, their in-stock ply was too friendly..........:)wavey..............you know, warped.......ya get it?:)

Recap to date- I have built the adjustable h-stab, elevators, fin and rudder. The crutch is glued up (balsa laminations) with the 1/8 X 1/4 stiffeners in place. Have to begin cutting formers etc. next.

Stickbuilder 03-14-2007 03:59 AM

Last night, in addition to the headrest, I rebuilt the tail wheel strut, and laminated the Cabane assemblys, and installed them. I guess I was busier than I thought. Next comes levelling the crutch, and checking the cabanes for level, and trimming them until the tips of the cabanes are level front to back, side to side, and diagonally. That is somewhat time consuming, but makes for a plane with the correct incidences. I'll post pics as I go on this. I think that normally this is a step that gets missed, and you end up with a misaligned model.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

old git 03-14-2007 08:35 AM

Looking at the post of all those SEDUCTIVE Waco aircraft (4 pages), this pic - 1934 Waco UMF-3 NC13571 (I think it was the second one but my short term memory lasts little more than 2 seconds) seems to illustrate perfectly the longitudinal dihedral - relative incidence both between the mainplane and stabiliser and also relative to the fuselage. The wing is POSITIVE to the stabiliser!

I don't know of the magazine mentioned as having our revered leader's model, will someone please post a pic?

By the way BART, I love your new ARTF.

old git - - - - - - - aka John L.