Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Top Flight Stinson Reliant wing incidence

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 07:21 PM
puddler10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flight Stinson Reliant wing incidence

with the plane on a level surface and the tail set level at 0 deg.
when wings are positioned at the plan incidenc of +1 deg. It looks terrible-- the tips of the wings are 1/4" above the wing saddle base.
The instructions state that the tips should meet even with the bottom of the wing saddles--- not so on my plane.
Did I do something wrong? Should I be more concerned with the 1/4" gaps at +1 deg? or should I keep it at 0 deg. and have it look nice?
Thanks for any info...
Old 07-19-2004, 11:18 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Top Flight Stinson Reliant wing incidence

We are a bit confused. What part of the wing are you referring to when you mention the "tips". The wingtip is the farthest outboard end of the wing. The farthest inboard is the "root" Do you mean to say that the trailing edge of the wing at the root isn't lining up properly?

To set up the incidence angles of the wing and stabilizer, you must first get the fuselage leveled. The main stringer is the main fore-and-aft reference. You level the fuselage front-to-back and side-to-side according the the main stringer. When the main stringer is level, then the wing's incidence is set at +1 degree in reference to that. The stabilizer is then set at 0 degrees with reference to the main stringer. If you level the stabilizer at 0 degrees and the wing is off, then most likely, the stabilzer's not set properly.

Please double-check how you set the stabilizer angle. When the stabilzer's properly-set, the wing should have no difficulties mounting per the plans.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:04 PM
puddler10

I meant to say that the root wing TE tips are not looking to good set up at + 1deg
This is the first BIG scale plane I have tried to build so please bear with me....
I had assumed that like the instructions stated the stab. was to seat into the saddles at the proper angle as built in. -- so I adjusted the stab. to fit the saddles with no gaps believing that it was set properly-- I epoxied the stab into position.
So does this mean that I have to break the epoxy joint apart to re-set the stab angle. OR is this +1 deg very critical ?? we can manage to get +1/2 deg. THANK you so much for the help ........Mike Gillis
Old 07-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Bax

To match the incidence angles in the plans, you'll likely have to remove the stabilizer and re-set it.

The incidence angles of the stabilizer and wing are needed so that the fuselage is at the correct angle when the model is in flight, and make it easiest to trim the elevator for level flight at the designed-in c.g. ranges.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:05 PM
puddler10

hello again thanks for the replies-- so quick
The fuse main stringer is at level
The stab incidence needle reads 0 as per plans state
The wings are then mounted as per plans state---root rib centered on wing saddle--
wings incidence reads 0 NOT +1
so I'm still lost as to how to remedy this thing.Maybe the incidence meter is faulty-The needle moves free both directions
Maybe I'm missing something?? like warped wings?but I can't find any thing odd looking all looks straight and even when viewed from front or rear of plane--
Old 07-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Bax

If the fuselage and horizontal stabilizer are properly-aligned, and then the wing isn't, you'll have to modify the wing mountin to get the wing to seat at the proper incidence. This is a normal procedure in building kits. Shim under the wing joiner tube to get the incidence set up correctly.