Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

TF Sea Fury Gold Edition

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 06:01 PM
rc flylow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF Sea Fury Gold Edition

I'm planning the construction of this kit and have a concern about the engine recommendations. My model will be glassed and painted and will probably exceed the ~11 pound weight of the prototype in the manual. I sure would like to swing a larger prop (15 inch or 16 inch) for aesthetic reasons (and I'd really like to use a three or four blade prop equivalent for the ultimate.) Do you know if a gas engine (like a G26) would be the answer here. I understand that these war birds are usually tail heavy and if I must add nose weight it might as well be engine weight.

The RCUniverse threads from model builders with experience seem to lean to 1.2 four stroke glow engines. The guys who built the prototype (using monokote) specifically say don't go that much. I'd like to build this model as a Reno racer and painting is the best option, but if the weight causes engine match problems, I stick to monokote.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: TF Sea Fury Gold Edition

The maximum weight of the Top Flite Gold Edition Sea Fury is intended to be 12 pounds. This would give you a 30-ounce wing loading, which is just about the maximum for that size model and still keep reasonable handling and landing speeds. You really don't want to go heavier.

A G25 would be considered a too-large engine...it's displacement is higher than the intended displacement of the model, and it would be quite heavy, making it difficult to keep the model within weight bounds.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:25 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to build a Sea Fury MK11 from Top Flite Kit and am having a hard time finding a 4" plastic spinner, can anyone help me. I can be reached at [email protected]. thank You.

ORIGINAL: rc flylow

I'm planning the construction of this kit and have a concern about the engine recommendations. My model will be glassed and painted and will probably exceed the ~11 pound weight of the prototype in the manual. I sure would like to swing a larger prop (15 inch or 16 inch) for aesthetic reasons (and I'd really like to use a three or four blade prop equivalent for the ultimate.) Do you know if a gas engine (like a G26) would be the answer here. I understand that these war birds are usually tail heavy and if I must add nose weight it might as well be engine weight.

The RCUniverse threads from model builders with experience seem to lean to 1.2 four stroke glow engines. The guys who built the prototype (using monokote) specifically say don't go that much. I'd like to build this model as a Reno racer and painting is the best option, but if the weight causes engine match problems, I stick to monokote.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

4" diameter spinners are made by Dave Brown Products, Tru-Turn Spinners, and Zinger Propellers. One of those may suit your purpose.