Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

XL PATRIOT QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 08:15 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XL PATRIOT QUESTION

I have a quick question regarding the gear length on the patriot xl-I am building the wing at this time with retracts per plans-my concern is that the wire on the gear will be too short and cause prop strikes due to the prop being too close to the surface-I am going to be running a os91fx-I have had good luck with this powerplant in my shoestring running a 12x8 prop-what do you think-thanks
Old 02-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: XL PATRIOT QUESTION

If you're going to get prop strikes, you'll either need a smaller-diameter prop, or make the nose higher through a longer nose gear or shorter mains. Either way, if the model has a nose-high stance on the ground, it may be difficult to land.

You may want to try an 11 x 9 prop or even a 10 x 10 prop. They will help keep the RPM up, but will also have a lot of pitch to encourage high-speed flight. You will lose some acceleration and climb, though.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:47 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply-would it be simplier-since I am building the wing now to extend the mains longer in other words instead of cutting them off at the recommended length per the plans, add a inch and cut the wheel well cutouts accordingly-I think changing size on the prop maybe a mistake since thru my own experience I have had really good luck with the 12x8-what is your thought on that Bax-thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Bax

Other than the weight increase and installation difficulties, longer gear legs usually won't hurt anything. As far as props are concerned, you can stay with what you're familiar with, but any prop that turns the same RPM on the ground and flies the model OK is the "correct" prop.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:33 PM
smoknrv4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a gear length question, I am also going to use a os 91 fx for a powerplant, and also robart retracts, now do you want a nose high stance, or is it better level, or nose down? The reason why I ask this, is because you are limited on the nose gear length because of the wheel well cavity length, and also the recomended length of the mains in the instructions, I believe is 3'', this doesn't seem right, it looks like it is going to interfere with the air cylinder when gear is in "up" position. Also the photos in the instructions don't seem to match the suggested length of 3'' either. I kind of stumpped right now, can anybody offer a suggestion?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Bax

Setting up an airplane 'flat' is the best way.

If the model has a nose-low stance, then takeoffs can become problematic...you'll need more elevator to get the model to rotate, and then it will tend to leap off the ground and you'll have to push the nose back down. With a nose-low gear, though, landings tend to 'plant' and the model tends to stay stuck...no bouncing.

If the model sits a bit nose-high, then takeoffs are easy, but you have to make sure you get the nose good and high on landings or you'll hit the nosewheel first and bounce but good.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:56 AM
smoknrv4

anybody run into this?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:58 AM
smoknrv4

thanks for the imput Bill!