Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Removing Monokote

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Bayou Talker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Monokote

Is there a "preferred" method to remove monokote due to damage, etc.? I have tried in the past and got it off, but not without a lot of work and swearing.

Any tips would be appreciated
Old 03-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Removing Monokote

Usually, most of the material can be simply pulled off. You'll still get small flecks, though. I usually very carefully use a sharp knife and "pare" it off. A touch of sandpaper smooths-up any nicks.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Rosster6028
My Feedback: (57)

Bayou Talker,

Heat, man! Heat! Use a heat gun, get a section good and hot, put a knife under one corner, lift up some material, pinch it against the knife with your finger and pull up gently. Where mylar films love to stick is on glue spots, keep the heat gun going and when you get stuck heat that area. Keep lifting. In a very short time, you are done.

If your hands are sensitive, just wear some kind of packing glove, you'll be fine.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:15 PM
pojarnii

I recently recovered an Uproar and after just pulling most of the monocote off, I realized that if I use the iron to pre-heat the glue prior to pulling it works much better! Work slowly and heat the glue, pull, heat, pull... etc. Kind of the reverse of applying the covering. It does a pretty good job of getting the film and the coloring. In places where there was still coloring I used the iron to heat is and scrape it. Keep some paper towels handy to wipe the iron with as you go.