Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Top Flight P-51 .60 Gold Edition TailWheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Milcent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flight P-51 .60 Gold Edition TailWheel

I am almost new in building and R/C flying (started 18 months ago), but i already have 6 models all kit building.
The P51 from Topflight is really a challenge for me and i ask if it is possible to have a retract tail wheel for it. I chose to build it with the Robart Pneumatic system and struts.
Thanks in advance. Pierre.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Top Flight P-51 .60 Gold Edition TailWheel

A retractable tailwheel can be installed. Though one's not shown on the plans, many have done it. A Robart #121 unit should work well on the .60-size. Use the Robart #160 for the giant-scale model.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:56 AM
Milcent

OK Bax. What do i need also in order to have the retract work : direct servo connection or an air line connected to the main tank and to another air cylinder ? What is recommended for this kind of plane ?
Thanks for your help. Pierre.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Bax

The Robart Tailwheels retracts need an additional air cylinder. You'd then plumb it into the retract system.

You could also use a retract servo to actuate the tailwheel retract, too.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:22 PM
Milcent

Hello, i am back now on building the fuse of my TF P51. I have my item #121 for the retract tail wheel. I wonder what is the best and secure choice (this is my first "detailed" kit) : either to plumb the tail wheel to the air mecanism for the others wheels, or use a dircet servo ? What is the best weight solution, and where to put the air cylinder in order not to change the CG.
Also if i use the retract tail wheel i will change the metal pushrod for a flexible cable. In this case how do i manage to controle the rudder ? Do i need to use 2 separate pairs of cables, one for the wheel and one for the rudder, connected to the same servo ?
Thanks for any advice you could provide me.
Pierre.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Bax

You can't install equipment in the model without "changing the CG". Anything will affect the balance. For the retract, you want the pushrod as short as possible, and make the installation as convenient as possible. Some people have mounted the gear and actuator into a single framework so it could be removed as a unit for maintenance/repairs. That type of installation would be up to you.

Use separate cables for steering the tailwheel retract. You can make a tiller that's mounted aft of the rudder servo, or even use a separate servo that's "Y'd" to the rudder servo, or on a separate channel and mixed to it. The reason you'd want a separate tiller for the tailwheel is to reduce its travel.