Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building > Kit Manufacturer Direct Support Forum > Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore
Reload this Page >

Top Flight P-51 .60 Gold Edition nylon clevis and other plastic parts

Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Top Flight P-51 .60 Gold Edition nylon clevis and other plastic parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Milcent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flight P-51 .60 Gold Edition nylon clevis and other plastic parts

I am now going well with my TF P51 kit. But i wonder if all the plastic parts supplied are these i can trust. When reading many reviews in magazine almost every one say they must be changed with metal made parts, such as clevis.
Since TF is supplying these made with plastic i "must" believe i can trust them and use it.
Is it right or not ? Do i need to change them. Since i will have to change everything.
Thanks.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Top Flight P-51 .60 Gold Edition nylon clevis and other plastic parts

We haven't noticed any difficulties with the stock parts, nor have there been any complaints about them. Properly-installed, they work out nicely.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Milcent

Default RE: Top Flight P-51 .60 Gold Edition nylon clevis and other plastic parts

Thanks Bill. I wonder if it could be better for flying to have one servo on each aileron instead of pushrod and bellcrank.
But i will trust TF since it seems to be a very good quality of parts.
Pierre.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Fragmentum
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Milcent,

For my 2ΒΆ worth, this is MY suggestion.

Any airplane worth building and keeping is worth the extra expense for better hardware.

Our flying club has had flight failurs with plastic clevises, horns, etc so I do not trust them any longer.

I suggest you use common sense in that if it looks cheaply made, then it is and will give you 'like' performance.

I suggest you use metal hardware wherever possible, and quality hardware at that, like Sullivan, Great Planes, etc.

There are grreat building tips all over the internet and with helpful folks as well. Learn from them and you may not have to 'relearn' what

experience and 'loss of aircraft' has taught them.

Here are suggested reading links; http://www.rcwarbirds.com/ (Read under all of them but especially 'Construction, Finnish, Big Bird, Retracts and Flying')
http://www.scaleaero.com/
http://home.mchsi.com/~jahuntley/help.html

Hope this information is as helpful to you as it is to me...

Fragmentum
Old 03-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Many modern builders are using one servo per aileron because of the much better control link you get. With bellcranks, you can get some 'slop' if you aren't absolutely careful in your building. Also, with the power needs spread out, you can use smaller servos to drive each surface, rather than one larger servo to drive both ailerons.

Eventually, it boils down to personal choice, and how you like to build your models.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:25 PM
rogue-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I used 1 servo per aileron and they worked out great no slop like you would have with the bellcrank system.