Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Request for BAX

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 12:21 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Request for BAX

Bax, I was wondering if you could help with a bit of research from Top Flight. We are trying to determine when the original Top Flight Contender was released in kit form. We are trying to get the airplane listed as an approved aircraft for Vintage Radio Control Society events. In order to qualify, we must be able to document that the aircraft was kitted, published or flown prior to January 1, 1970. We believe that it was, but documenting that has proved a bit of a challenge.
Please refer to the Vintage and Antique section for the thread titled "Are these aircraft considered vintage". You will see a response from Dave Platt, the original designer, but he was unable to give us a specific date.
I appreciate your help in this matter. If we can get the airplane approved, we may be able to get the current production kit approved if the current kit is built to the plan form of the original design. To use in the pattern category, the original airfoil must have been retained, if not, it would qualify in the "open" category.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3382114/tm.htm
This is the thread I was refering to in the Vintage and Antique section.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Request for BAX

I know I built my first Top Flite Contender from a kit that was of the first production run. I bought it within days of its arrival at the local hobby shop. Unfortunately, I don't know if it was 1971 or 1972. I'm pretty sure it wasn't 1970.

As far as being published, I believe it was originally published in American Modeler ( or American Aircraft Modeler) at about that time. Going through the periodical archives of a large library may find the issue for you. You may be able to research it through the Library of Congrss.

Sorry I'm not much help. The old plansets don't have copyright dates on them, and there are no instruction books to go with them...the instructions were printed right on the plans!