Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Duraplane linkage question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 08:51 PM
lynntonyd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duraplane linkage question

I'm having trouble with my new Durastik. The front nose wheel steers from a link on the tail rudder that runs all the way under the fuse.

With the rudder only, the servo movement is quick and smooth. When i hook up the nose gear it struggles and bends the jacket tube rather than moving the center tube. The tube is run as direct as possible with no kinks. It feels smooth when I disconnect it from each and and move it by hand. I have tried replacing the tubes with parts from other planes in my tool box but they all do the same thing. I have it fixed in a few places with tape to try and aim the tube and prevent it from bending outwards.

Anything special to look for here? This is very weird!
Old 10-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Intruder38

Default RE: Duraplane linkage question

I had the DuraStik a few years ago until I proved that it was not indestructable in my hands. The problem you describe was there on mine as well. I finally added two or three coax cable clamps to hold the nose gear nyrod in place. Worked like a charm after that. By the way, it was a fun plane while it lasted.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should make some anchors for the outer tubing so that it doesn't flex. You want the pushrod as straight as you can get it in one shot from the servo to the nose gear.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:38 PM
lynntonyd
My Feedback: (1)

Problem solved ..... I'm a dope.....

It was driving me crazy!!!!! I had the run as straight as possible and I added extra clips to guide the outer tube, but every time I hooked up the nose wheel it got sluggish. Remove the clevis and pull it by hand and it feels good, nice and free.

I had a buddy over helping teach me to do wing covering and he saw the problem almost immediately. The nose gear itself was tight in the pivot. I drilled out the great planes engine mounts to the correct size but the two halves were a bit misaligned and the nose gear wire rod was hung up a bit. I reamed it out a bit and now its smooth as glass. Stupid...... oh well, thanks for the advice!