Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

TF P-51D Gold Edition .60-.90

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:08 PM
the-plumber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF P-51D Gold Edition .60-.90

I've got an older P-51D GE kit, and the optional "B" conversion. Been gathering shelf dust for far too long.

Bought 'em with the notion of bashing things around 'til an A-36 Apache fell out.

This probably falls in the "Overhead Question" category . . . y'know . . . where you look at the overhead and wonder 'Why me . . . ?'.

This project is next up for the building bench, so I thought I'd get started on the shopping list . . . in doing so, I noted that Tower lists the Century Jet "Centurion" retracts for this kit.

Is the CJ offering a 'better' (perchance 'newer') option than the Robart 605HD setup with struts ? Are the Century Jet jobbies thinner and so as to fit better and more readily accomodate gear doors, or is it simply that the CJ units can be 'made to fit' ?

The major work on the A-36 will (I think) involve whacking at the wing roots, 'cuz the Apache didn't have the root extensions that the P-51 had. Not having memorized the plans yet, is this a viable conversion or will it likely involve major surgery to beef up the reduced wing chord in the root area ?

Told you it was an overhead question . . .
Old 02-06-2006, 05:12 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: TF P-51D Gold Edition .60-.90

As far as the retract go, it's a matter of opinion. Both companies make good ones. Your best bet is to do a search here on RCU and read what people have to say about both.

As far as the wing is concerned, the root extensions don't offer that much, structurally, but you will have to re-contour the ribs, and fair the center-section hold-down area with the fuselage sides. I will take a bit of thought and re-work of the parts.