Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Why do some great kits have to die?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 08:39 PM
desmobob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why do some great kits have to die?

I always wondered why when kits are discontinued, plans aren't still available. It would be nice to know I could build Great Planes ElectroStreak kit #3 in the future if (when?) I finally crash or lose my beloved 'Streak #2.

I know there isn't much demand, but it seems like it would be cheap and easy to keep the plans on disks and print them out when ordered, or even license them to some other company that would provide that service.

How come they have to disappear forever? []

Just curious,
desmobob
Old 03-06-2006, 04:59 PM
pie_lover123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do some great kits have to die?

It just happens, they stopped producing Stik Kits, and I wanted to build one, because I'm 13 and It would be easy, instead, the so-called "easy builder" F4U corsair by Great planes is what I got instead. My friend is building a Sig Something Extra and both wings are done... man I'm an idiot...
Old 03-08-2006, 11:57 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

$$$$$

That's what makes a kit "available" or lack of $$$$ makes it 'discontinued'. Simple supply and demand. No demand, no supply.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Kits become discontinued when they stop selling. It's that simple.

"On Demand" kitting is not as easy as it may sound. Among other things, prices would be significantly higher to deliver the same product on an "as needed" basis.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:45 PM
desmobob

ORIGINAL: Bax

Kits become discontinued when they stop selling. It's that simple.

I think everyone realizes that.

I asked about the plans, not the kits....

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 03-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Most plans are kept on a disk, so if the kit's been discontinued, they are still available. However, please be aware that the plans do not show all of the parts. They are a building guide to the kit, but the parts are the items with the actual dimensions.

You would just need to contact us for prices and availability.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:35 PM
desmobob

I guess I haven't been clear...

I'm assuming that all kits (and even ARFs) have an original set of plans; not the instructions, not the simplified sheets that go along with the instructions, but complete plans showing all parts and construction; like a set you'd buy from Nick Zirolli or Dan Palmer or Don Smith....

These are the type of plans I'm referring to. Plans that can be used to make the parts and build a model if a kit is no longer available.

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 03-15-2006, 05:56 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like to make a 'copy' of all the kit parts before starting construction. I have the plans, and now I have the parts - great when coming time to repair!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:10 PM
desmobob

ORIGINAL: tailskid

I like to make a 'copy' of all the kit parts before starting construction. I have the plans, and now I have the parts - great when coming time to repair!
That is definitely the thing to do... I wish I had done it!

Good flying,
desmobob
Old 03-15-2006, 07:36 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

desmobob,

The drawing you are referring to is the Master Drawing. These may have a lot of proprietary information beyond the detail parts that a manufacturer doesn't want released to the general public. It would be nice, but I seriously doubt if you'd ever be able to see them, let along get a copy. On newer designs, depending on the company and design/engineering process, these may be a series of paper/mylar or CAD drawings (Master Drawings), or 3D models (Master Models) where actual drawings may not exist.

Hogflyer
Old 04-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Live Wire

When people have more money than brains and to lazy to build
Old 04-27-2006, 03:40 PM
slopemeno
My Feedback: (2)

I just looked the original ElectroStreak plans up and you can buy them from the AMA site. Hopefully those plans show the rib outlines, but it wouldnt be the end of the world if it doesnt. And I loved my wood fuse electrostreak. I got pretty good at piecing that thing together with thin Zap.

So- if I was to step up and put a power system into it that was a little more modern, what Motor/Battery/ESC would you guys suggest? Hopefully something short of lipoly.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:44 AM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I have to agree with Desmo.
A company can save their plans and send it electronically, similar to that of paying for songs and downloading them. If anyone knows of site that does this, Please post their address for us
I'm glad more of these old kits are becoming available again through the efforts of some fellow builders since they are now being laser cut, no more dies to keep around.
There are a lot of kits that have never lost demand but vanished, like the Royal warbirds and the MK pattern planes. Now if you do happen to find one, your paying $400 plus for a .60 size kit!

Dave
Old 12-12-2006, 05:57 AM
vintageflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry Bax
I lost track of which forum I was in[]

Dave
Old 12-16-2006, 11:06 AM
OLDNRINKLED
My Feedback: (5)

MOST MODELERS SAVE THEIR PLANS. THEY ARE USUALLY WILLING TO COPY AND SHIP A SET TO A FRIEND AS A FAVOR OR SOMETIMES JUST FOR THE COST OF COPYING. JUST ASK WHEN THE TIME COMES AND YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: desmobob

I guess I haven't been clear...

I'm assuming that all kits (and even ARFs) have an original set of plans; not the instructions, not the simplified sheets that go along with the instructions, but complete plans showing all parts and construction; like a set you'd buy from Nick Zirolli or Dan Palmer or Don Smith....

These are the type of plans I'm referring to. Plans that can be used to make the parts and build a model if a kit is no longer available.

Good flying,
desmobob
Some kits have never included a parts sheet, nor even called out the parts on the plan. Pica is notorious for this, and the Company has since been sold, and the kits are being converted to ARF's. With these, you need to cultivate a friendship with someone who has some of these kits, and get them to scan the part for you.

I wish it were as easy as you indicate, but truthfully, not all kit manufacturers ever published the parts drawings. They just did an industrial drawing to allow the dies to be made. Somewhere there are probably copies of these drawings, but where would one begin to look?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 12-16-2006, 03:32 PM
davo580

I have a 1/3 cap 580 by great planes I damaged a wing . the wings wre orderd 5 months ago which i checked that it was orderd and was told now won't be delivered untill january 2007. So so comanies like great planes don't back up their service they like taking your money and give no back up service.' not happy'..... I have brought alot of great planes stuff but will not any more and will tell people.' it is not good enough'. I beleive if you sell something that you should back it up. I have e-mail them 2 weeks ago approx and guess what ... no returned e-mail to explain why