Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

TF P-40 flaps gap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 10:51 AM
azzurro2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF P-40 flaps gap

Hello everybody,

i'm building a TF GE p-40. It is almost finished but i have a question about the flap construction. There's a 1/8" gap between trailing edge and flap edge when the flaps are "up" (maybe flaps construction was not so accurate). Is that a serious problem during the flight (flutter)[]?
Thanks in advance for the answer.
Good flights and good lendings to everybody.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: TF P-40 flaps gap

You need to examaine the structure and see what's causing the gap...then you eliminate it and fix the gap. make is as small as you possibly can for best performance and handling.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:43 AM
azzurro2

Hallo Bax,

thank you very much for your answer. I 'll try to reduce the gap by reducing the thickness of the upper wing ribs. I hope that the wing trailing edge don't become too weak. I'm still not sure that they will close in the perfect way, but if not, could i experiment some flutter's problem? It is my first warbird airplane model and my last wish is to crash it during the first flight. Furthermore it is a heavy model (11 pounds).
In case of crash, i should dig very deeply!
Happy landings to everybody
Old 04-11-2006, 01:36 AM
Debris Field

I just went through this caper recently, i found that the laminating strips along the top of the flap caused problems when they fouled the underside of the trailing edge ribs, I used a dremel tool to cut small semi-circular indents into teh ribs where the laminating strips were fouling.

Hope it helps.