Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

TF spitfire elevator

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 07:08 PM
RVman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF spitfire elevator

bax, the elevator LE and stab TE do not match properly. The elevator should be 1/8" thicker than it is so what can we do to make them line up right? The elevator LE is a diecut piece of balsa so why isn't it the correct size? thanks
Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25862.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	486483  
Old 07-06-2006, 05:26 PM
RVman

Default RE: TF spitfire elevator

?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for the delay. I don't have an answer for you. It's possible the dies were made wrong. The onlly solution we can think of would be to build up the elevator to match the stabilzer. The stabilizer will have to be sanded a bit, so thinning it down a bit is inevitable.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:26 AM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

Bax,

I just happen to see this post and can confirm that my kit had the same issue. Frankly, I thought I had sanded the elevators too much before I tack glued them to the stab for shaping but now I think this is a manufacturing error based on the above and the fact that the wood is short the same amount on both elevators. The leading edges of the elevators are actually laser cut and you can see that in the pic above if you look closely at the top of the leading edge of the elevator. Has this problem been fixed or investigated? If so, I might order replacement parts? I could glue on more wood as you mentioned above but that just adds more weight to an already tail heavy design. I just wish I had seen this before I glued these parts together because cutting new parts would have been an easy fix. Thanks and I am still enjoying the kit.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We've not had any complaints to speak of with this kit in this area, so I don't have an answer. Another die-cut sheet would be identical to what you already have.

Of course, one thing I didn't think of at the time of my original post is that when you cut the bevel into the elevator leading edge, you may find that it lines up nicely if you project the top and bottom surfaces into the stabilzer. There may only be an apparent discrepancy in the parts' sizes.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:35 PM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

I checked with a few others and they reported the same problem too. These parts out of the raw sheet are too thin to match the plans. The rudder had the opposite problem. It had to be sanded down quite a bit to match the trailing edge of the rudder so that throws out your other thought. Some used hinge covers to cover up the problem on the elevators. Anyway, I just thought I would pass along what a few of us ran into on this kit. They all came off the same laser cut sheet. Thanks for your response.

ORIGINAL: Bax

We've not had any complaints to speak of with this kit in this area, so I don't have an answer. Another die-cut sheet would be identical to what you already have.

Of course, one thing I didn't think of at the time of my original post is that when you cut the bevel into the elevator leading edge, you may find that it lines up nicely if you project the top and bottom surfaces into the stabilzer. There may only be an apparent discrepancy in the parts' sizes.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:08 AM
ozspit

I have the same issue. Stab TE and the elevator LE are the same thickness however the stab is sheeted and the elevator is not thus the difference is the thickness of the sheeting top and bottom. Definitely not as per the plan. Will have to build up with scrap sheeting to match. A bit disappointing this early in the build! This is my first kit build after bashing several (much less expensive but similar sized) ARFs. I hope the rest of parts are not only precision cut but also accurate! (Sorry, just the engineer in me coming out!)
Andrew
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89924.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	704424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60617.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	704425  
Old 06-15-2007, 02:40 PM
RVman

ORIGINAL: Bax

We've not had any complaints to speak of with this kit in this area, so I don't have an answer.
Well then, now you have your complaints.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Norm Nestie

ORIGINAL: ozspit

I have the same issue. Stab TE and the elevator LE are the same thickness however the stab is sheeted and the elevator is not thus the difference is the thickness of the sheeting top and bottom. Definitely not as per the plan. Will have to build up with scrap sheeting to match. A bit disappointing this early in the build! This is my first kit build after bashing several (much less expensive but similar sized) ARFs. I hope the rest of parts are not only precision cut but also accurate! (Sorry, just the engineer in me coming out!)
Andrew
I agree with Ozspit. I haven't started building my spit yet so was interested in this post and several others at various posts. I mean, come on I can't believe it's that difficult for the kitters to get it right in the first place or get the correxctions made SAP.