Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Trailing edge ultrasport 40 plus

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 09:06 PM
frankcnb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailing edge ultrasport 40 plus

Hey Bax
I am building the ultrasport 40+ and have run into a snag on the left wing. After I got all the ribs, spars, shear web, and trailing edge together, I lined the wing up on the plans as per instructions and weighted it down to hold the wing flat. After I got all the joints glued and dry, I took the weight off and knoticed that the trailing edge would not lay flat. After inspection I found that the die cut trailing edge had a bow in it. In other words, the triling edge has a crown in it in the same way you would look down the edge of a piece of 2x6 lumber. Do you think I will be able to build that bow out with the sheeting etc.

Frank
Old 08-18-2006, 02:06 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Trailing edge ultrasport 40 plus

You may be able to remove the bow when you sheet the wing. Maybe not. The only assurance is to replace it with a straight piece of wood.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:20 PM
frankcnb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the issue resolved. With a strait edge I found that the bow was at a place where a hard knot was in the wood. I made several kerf cuts in that area from the bottom up (the part of the trailing edge that was to be cut off any way after sheeting was done). That allowed the wing to stay flay after the 3/4 by 1/16 trailing edge sheets were glued in place. I was afraid that I was going to have to get all the parts for that half of the wing and build another.

Thanks Bax
Old 08-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We're glad you got it sorted out with an easy solution. Have a good time flying your model when it's done. It's a goodie!