Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

TF corsair 60 - joining wing tip panels to cntr section

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:09 PM
trosser001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF corsair 60 - joining wing tip panels to cntr section

I am about to join the wing tip panels to the wing center section. Using the dihedral block on the center section, I need to know how to orient the center section:

First off - the center section, I assume, needs to be oriented vertically - correctly. Does the center section not need to be in a position such that the main center spar is at a 90 degree angle to the flat building surface? Seems like it should be... (I spoke with TF, they said YES)

With the center section vertical, and the T-7 rib tabs on the building service, on my tip panels the leading edge and trailing edges do NOT line up centered on the LE and TEs of the center section. Does this mean I need to break the rib glue joints and re-align the wing so that the LE and TEs are centered, the T-7 tabs are on the board, and then reglue the joints?

Here are pics showing the center spar is vertical, the T-7 tab is on the building surface, and the resulting tip-panel leading edge not aligning in the center of the leading edge of the center section:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58316.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	560805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20436.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	560806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88391.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	560807  
Old 11-15-2006, 01:12 PM
trosser001

Default RE: TF corsair 60 - joining wing tip panels to cntr section

Now, if I DO move the tip panel so that its leading (and trailing) edges are in the CENTER of center section leading and trailing edges, then the tip tab at T7 lifts OFF the table a good 1/16 of an inch.

Essentially this would remove the as-designed tip panel wash out.

Here - have a look:

First pic shows the leading edges centered between the tip panel and the center panel, next shows the T-7 tab lifted off the table as a result, and the last shows the a piece of wood in the gap to give some perspective on the resultant gap.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61281.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	560816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35858.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	560817   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27139.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	560818  
Old 11-15-2006, 01:16 PM
trosser001

Default RE: TF corsair 60 - joining wing tip panels to cntr section

NOTE: the warpage is consistent on both tip panels.

I checked to make sure the tip panel rib-tabs were all still flat, and they are. BUT, I discovered that the leading and trailing edge wood is warped!

SO - what do I do? If I were not covering the wing in a balsa skin and using instead, monokote with no skin, I could correct this in the covering process. But, since I will be not only skinning this bird, but also glassing it, I suspect the tip washout has to be accurate at this point in the building process.

How do I get this corrected?

Do I break the glue joints of the leading and trailing edges of "T" ribs, and realign the tips and then reglue? Sounds kind of sketchy as i type it out.

Please help!