Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

GREAT PLANES J3 UNCONTROLLABLE

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 03:37 PM
lalo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GREAT PLANES J3 UNCONTROLLABLE

I have a 60 clipped piper cub with a 70 4 strokes OS engine run with a 13X6, it flies like a dream, but it handles in ground like a nightmare , as soon as it gaines some speed it turns to any side some times 360 deegres I don't know what to do.
It has the original landing gear wire with a scale like wires and wheels on main, as tail wheel it has a metal mount with springs links to rudder.
I tried with toe in, camber, retrieving the cup wheel covers, retrieving the wood , giving slow thorttle or full thorttle and looking for better pilots, last time nobody can do it.
I enclose some pictures from the landing gear without the cup wheel covers and the landing gear fairings .

thank you

lalo
[email protected]

PS THERE ARE SOME PICTURES IN KIT BUILDING FORUM IF YOU NEED THE I VAN SEND THEM TO YOU
Old 10-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: GREAT PLANES J3 INCONTROLABLE

Ground handling on a tail-dragger type of model can be a nightmare. Cubs are no different. You need to make sure you have about one degree of toe-in on the main wheels. The tailwheel should not be particularly sensitive, but allow the model to turn enough for reasonable ground handling.

When you start the takeoff, you should hold full "up" elevator to keep the tail on the ground. This gives you the maximum steering ability. Learn to use the rudder to help keep the model straight. Many flyers just don't work on that enough. Apply throttle gradually. Too much throttle too fast will cause problems. Sometimes, the addition of a rudder gyro will help keep the model straight.

For the most part, though, the handling requires practice, practice, practice. Flying off of grass helps a lot, and slows down some of the tendencies of the model to stray off course.