Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

OOPS! Is this going to be bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:36 AM
bloodnativ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OOPS! Is this going to be bad?

I am building a pt40 and happened to notice that when I mounted the tail fin I didn't get it perfectly straight. Stupid mistake, not paying attention and allowing myself to get distracted. It's not off by much, maybe 1/8", to the right. Is this going to hurt anything? Will it be fly-able like this? It's glued on pretty good so I don't know that I'll be able to get it off to fix it. Any other reccomendations or ideas? Thanks.

Tony
Old 12-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OOPS! Is this going to be bad?

If the vertical fin is off by 1/8" chordwise, then you'll have noticeable yaw added, and the rudder and ailerons will have to fight it. That must be corrected...repeat MUST. You'll have to carefully cut the structure apart to fix it.

Now, if the vertical fin tilts off the vertical by a small amount, but is straight when you check front to rear, it won't affect much at all, and can be safely ignored.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:53 AM
bloodnativ

That's what I was afraid of. Looks like I've got even more work to do. Thanks for the help.

Tony
Old 02-06-2009, 07:37 AM
wzak29
My Feedback: (1)

Buildind a GP PT-40 MKII just finished the fuseage ready to install thr tail what is CHORDWISE the other user said
it was off by a 1/8" and now he needs to remove his tail how do I get mine right,
Old 02-06-2009, 01:46 PM
bloodnativ

The CHORD is as you are looking at the plane from front (nose) to back (tail). How to get it right? Just go VERY, V-E-R-Y slow and don't do it when you might be distracted. Measure twice, mark twice and then recheck it. If you're still not sure then try to find someone to help. It's not a very difficult build. You can get it but if you're unsure don't chance it.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: wzak29

Buildind a GP PT-40 MKII just finished the fuseage ready to install thr tail what is CHORDWISE the other user said
it was off by a 1/8" and now he needs to remove his tail how do I get mine right,
The user meant that the fin was out of alignment by 1/8" at one end of the chord of the vertical fin. That would have it "pointed" away from the centerline of the aircraft. The chord line of the vertical fin must be aligned straight along the centerline of the model.