Search
Notices
Helicopters - Full Scale Discuss full scale helicopters here

Can you start a heli's blades mid-air?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 PM
r/cheliman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can you start a heli's blades mid-air?

THis Situation of a Heli spinning up from dead stop in mid air is truely possible provided a few things. The helicopter would have to have slide out of the plane backward while the plane is moving at a high speed. As a principle of physics the heli would be moving forward at the same rate of speed as the plane due to it is inside of it. When the heli exits the plane the air passing by the rotr blades would cuase them to begin spinning before the heli reached terminal velocity. In fact the motor wouldn't even have to be running to make a successful landing due to The principle of autorotation ( the blades being spun by the passing air would cause them to create lift given that the heli was facing farward when it fell out). This principle is used when the turbine on a helicoprter fails. It can be used in all situations as long as the helicoper is at least 100ft up and has forward momentum. Know could James Bond pull this off, when even experienced pilots have trouble doing it, thats a different story all together.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:10 AM
jimmy 1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can you start a heli's blades mid-air?

I dont think it is possible.... but wat i do know is a mate of mine was doin helicopter lessons and one thing they need to practise is flying and cutting the engine in mid flight..... so i must be possible once ur moving and been flying but not when u just drop out of the sky.