Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Need a Gyro for my AXE 400...

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Need a Gyro for my AXE 400...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
SteveR3750
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Gyro for my AXE 400...

Okay... I can not take it anymore... I have read, researched, read some more, and no matter what I try and do, the Gyro on my AXE 400 just WILL NOT WORK!.... I go to make a left hand turn.. barely touch the tail and it will spin 3-4 full pirouettes. It has caused me to lose control and crash for the last time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need some advice on a good replacement Gyro that wont break the bank and will work with the stock tail servo.... I dont need anything fancy.. .just something that will work!

Is there anything out there that is reliable and will work for around $50.00 or less?

Anyone have a used gyro that they might want to part with?

Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 PM
dragus359

Default RE: Need a Gyro for my AXE 400...

I had the exact same problem.  Luckily I already had another reliable gyro on hand, and promptly switched.  I use the SKY500 by skyartec.  It's not the greatest gyro, but it will allow you to fly.  Be advised, do not attempt any sudden 3d with this gyro and the stock tail set up.  I tried and wound up in a horrible crash.  If you want to do 3d, upgrade the pitch slider arm to one with less play and get a high-end gyro.  If you're looking for casual flight and maybe a few relaxed 3d maneuvers, then go ahead with the gyro I mentioned above.  You can find it HERE.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-13-2011, 04:22 PM
SteveR3750

Great!!! Thank you very much.... I believe I will try that for now... I'm not a very aggressive 3D type of flyer. Not that I wouldnt like to be, but I just am not quite there yet, so the gyro you mentioned above should work fine for now...

What parts are you all using to upgrade the stock tail parts?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:47 PM
dragus359

You're welcome!  Oh, I've barely gotten my feet wet in 3d.  I can do some inverted forward flight and very sloppy tic-tocs but that's about it haha.  As far as my tail pitch slider arm, I am using THIS.  It has a smaller socket, so the ball is pretty snug in there.  This results in a lot less play.  It's pretty rigid now.  Be careful when working on the tail.  I don't know if it's because mine was banged up a little when I was doing the replacement, but, for some reason, I was disassembling the blade grips and, somehow, they fell apart in my hands.  I had to replace them with metal ones.  I can't remember the exact set that I am using, but I am using the tail blade grips from one of the HK-450 helicopters from hobbyking.com.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:33 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just setup the tail on a HBKII and a 450 trex clone with the GY48V gyro and a Carona 919 digital servo. it seems to work OK. The tail is solid with just a very slight drift. Not enough to worry about.

This is the [link=http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=D3925412&pid=E0835794]servo[/link]

This is the [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1017.html]Gyro[/link]

Buzz.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:55 AM
SteveR3750

Thanks again Buzz!!! I just missed this post and ended up ordering the gyro below from HobbyKing. I read some good things about it, and the price was right so I went ahead and ordered it... Cant wait to try it out, and see how much better the AXE actually flies...

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10113

Old 03-14-2011, 02:33 PM
dragus359

It just so happens that I'll be ordering some servos from HK, and I've been meaning to try out that gyro, so I might as well buy it too while I'm at it.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve, the two gyro's are very similar in how they work. I have a couple of the G401b gyro's too. The only thing about them is they do drift. Not real bad, but they do drift and any vibrations make the drift worse. I did not notice it much when flying around, but hovering you might see a little drift. I would say mine drifts about 45 degrees in about 30 seconds or so. Some times faster, some times slower. If the winds are up, it seems to drift less, could be that I am flying the tail a little bit more.

Buzz.