Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Axe CP mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Axe CP mods

I've finally found the enemy, and the enemy is us!

The weakest point on my Axe is me. In an effort to increase my skills by increasing flying time, I'm attempting to fly on a simulator more. An inexpensive simulator I found is the Flight Model Simulator which is free on the Internet. The only problem I'm having is finding a controller to work with it. I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick which works very well, however it only has one stick and not 2. You have to twist the stick for rudder input.

I purchased a Recoil joystick controller at Wal-Mart which has 2 analog joysticks and tried to use that with the Flight Model Simulator. The problem I was having with it was the sensitivity is way too high on the joystick. When you pushed a stick in one direction it traveled a quarter of the distance before anything would change, then when you got to half travel on the stick the Sim was showing full travel. As the stick was pushed from half travel to full movement to the edge nothing would happen as the Sim was already showing full travel. I could not find any help on the Internet or any other drivers to help soften the feel of the controller so I brought it back. Too bad, as it was only $14.

Does anyone have any other ideas for a Cheap controller that will simulate dual joystick radio control?

Just using the Sidewinder is helping with side and nose-in oreintation. I just about got it mastered on the Axe.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:01 PM
NewAxeCp

I use the XBOX 360 controller with FMS you have to DL a special driver for the controller but it works very well and if you have as 360 all you need is to make the usb connector or buy one. Another option is to make the connector for your radio to game port it takes less than 30$ in parts and you have the real deal just like real flight and I have "herd" that you can use that setup with real flight using a dongle emulator program and re-map the control inputs to realflight.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:22 PM
outtamyway

There is another cheap simulator called Clearview that cost $30 and seems a bit more realistic. FMS seemed much easier than the actual model. They have a Blade CP and CP pro model on clearview.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:54 AM
Rotor13B

ORIGINAL: outtamyway

There is another cheap simulator called Clearview that cost $30 and seems a bit more realistic. FMS seemed much easier than the actual model. They have a Blade CP and CP pro model on clearview.
I use FMS not to get the flying characteristics of a model down but more of an orientation tool. You still have to react to the helis movements just like in real flying even though it might not fly like your model. I figure knowing how to react is better than getting a certain model characteristic down as this would apply to virtually (no pun) all models. Certain things like reverse control when the model is flying at you vs away is valuable for any model.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Rotor13B

ORIGINAL: MsDarla

Radio/Remote Control [sm=what_smile.gif]
lol, Just mesin' with ya.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:50 AM
tknowles

OK just joined this forum. I have recently upgraded my AXE CP to the CNC swash plate and CNC fly bar. The SP is thicker than the original as a result I am unable to to adust the links to get back to zero pitch. I have a call into helimax support. They said that they needed to order up the parts and check to see what I should do. There are two options shorten the connection from the servos or lenghten the one from the fly bar to the blade grips I think the sevo connection should be shortend put will wait for there responce.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:00 AM
chaseman81

Hey Heli flyers! My Axe CP should be here today. Thanks for all the great information. I want to upgrade the battery right away, better head speed and longer flight times of course.

Anyone heard of this battery>

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...242144044da72e

Energy Power 11.1V 1350mAh 16C/25C
Specification:
¡´Output:11.1V(3S1P)1350mAh
¡´Rating:16C~20C continuous, 25C burst
¡´Dimension:34x65x20mm
¡´Weight:100g

the price is only $31.11 plus S&H $13.?? about $45.00 shipped gonna check LHS and see what they can do Hobbytown Grand Blanc Mi. These guy's are cool!

LMK what you think.

Thanks Chaseman81
Old 01-18-2007, 07:38 PM
chaseman81

I got it I got it. My Heli came today! I was so excited.... Till I opened the box the heli was fine but the blades covering was split and torn. No way to fly my new bird. Bummer! My LHS will have new blades for me next wensday. Damn.....

Will I had an idea.... What if I took off the covering? So I did. inspected the blades and they seem to fine... So I remembered I had some monocoat covering from my airplane. Decided to try to iron it on....
used the same amount on each blade took about an hour (I'm slow and wanted to do it right )
Long story short I have a purple heli with red Blades (Kinda cool) Have two try's under my belt. and on the second series. I hovered her for a couple three seconds in the same spot. about 9 inches off the ground with training gear of course. I'm still high on that one.. Letting my battery cool abit and back to the charger. Might get a try three tonight. hovering in the house is cool too!

Love owning a heli again. 17 years since my last one Concept 30.

Thought I would share

Chaseman81 "Like a Virgin. Hovered for the very frist time...."
Old 01-18-2007, 08:22 PM
PilotLight

Yeah, I don't know who said to take the training gear off, but it has saved me lots of times. Without it, the heli would have fell over and surely broke a grip. Instead, it just slides across the floor. I'm not going to take the training gear off till I can hover in all directions including nose-in.

How much better can it fly without the balls? What can the gear do to make it less stable?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 PM
chaseman81

I can't believe I fixed the blades today. but they sem fine or Im to new to know. But I did hover for a few after some trimming her in the blades tracked just fine and since i use the same amount on both blades the seem to be Balanced perty well.

I think is cool as Heli....[8D]

Chaseman81
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85583.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	601172  
Old 01-18-2007, 08:46 PM
chaseman81

Im buying the 11.1v lipo 1320 tomorrow at LHS. So I can fly Saturday Night at the mall. Can't wait, they fly the E-flight cp2 and a few others I cant wait. I was so Bummed with my blades covering being split today though monocoat iron on covering is the ticket.

Anyone know how much longer the flight times( who i kidding the Hover trying time) will be with that 11.1 1320Lipo will be?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:57 PM
chaseman81

WOW!! I forgot how cool Heli's really are. The feeling of lifting off and getting back in one peice.
Here's a couple pictures of the third flight. If you look really hard you can see it's up in the air. (all be it not that high.) You all know what I mean.

Name:	Lj23243.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	601228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59778.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	601229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91673.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	601230  
Old 01-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Rotor13B

ORIGINAL: chaseman81

WOW!! I forgot how cool Heli's really are. The feeling of lifting off and getting back in one peice.
Here's a couple pictures of the third flight. If you look really hard you can see it's up in the air. (all be it not that high.) You all know what I mean.

Get that sucker a little higher in the air!!! I swear it's so much easier to control once your about 2-3 feet off the ground. After that it's all depends on where you feel comfortable at looking at the heli while it's hovering. IMO the ground effect makes learning twice as hard and long than if you just get some daylight underneath it.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:40 AM
tgwolfwood1981

hey chaseman....are those the factry blades? if so, didn't know they came in red....
Old 01-19-2007, 05:39 AM
ElectricHead

My Thunder Power 11.1v 1320mA LiPo flights are 10 minutes. I stop at 10 so as not to drain battery down too far and damage it. Use training gear untill you are comfortable and then take them off. Take them off soon as you can and pucker up and fly. Heli flys much different without them. Try to hover about three feet up or more to get out of ground effect. First time I hovered without training gear was very nerve racking but I did it. Traing gear is like the kid who learns to ride a bike, once they can balance a little then traing wheels get in the way. When I start working on nose in hover the traing gear will go on then back off soon as possible. BTW I fly a "Purple People Eater" myself[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 01-19-2007, 07:46 AM
chaseman81

Ok guy's I will try her about three feet today to get away from the ground effect I was still trimming her in a bit she like likes to wander a bit. Must be the ground effects as you say.

Yeah TGwolf. those are the factory blades I bought it from a guy and the covering was split. So I uncovered them and recovered them in monocoat iron on covering. Or it was wait till next week to get blades.

Took about and hour but she fly's

Thanks for the pep talk. Up up and a stay, in hover.

Chaseman81
Old 01-19-2007, 12:27 PM
chaseman81

Wow thanks guy's you were right it is easier a bit higher up. Still the basemant is a scary place to fly. Called my LHS and they are holding a lipo for me 11.1v 1320Mah. $55.11 with tax. I asked him to charge it up for me, so when I got home I could fly right away. He said he would. They are some cool guys at our LHS. Hobbytown Grand Blanc Mi.

Anyway can't wait for longer flights. Seems when you get comfortable the battery is dead already.

Saturday night we can fly at the mall while the rc cars race in another area. It's cool cause the mall is closed and no one to bother you. No wind either plus here in Michigan it's allot warmer in the mall.

Let you know how the lipo is. I use the duramax ice charger very nice for the batterys.

Chaseman81
Old 01-19-2007, 09:44 PM
chaseman81

You guys were RIGHT! it is easier up at 2-3 ft Thanks! Check this out Got the Lipo 11.1v 1320 wow what a machine. Hey yeah know I tested after charge it was 12.55 i flew about 7 minutes then checked it again 11.55 hmm. Show wife what i'd learned about another 7 minutes 11.05
I was gonna go for another one but decide to stop and gonna charge it in the morning on the ice.

I will let you know more about the flight times. But all I can say is you don't have an Axe CP till you get her a TP Lipo 11.1v 1320Mah. The power is amazing. forward on the cyclic add a little power and she doesn't even think of dipping. You have to add to much power, before you know it with the original Axe battery.

Love mine
Chaseman81

Name:	Ec87989.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	601946  
Old 01-19-2007, 11:16 PM
PilotLight

Your enthusiasm is infectious. Buy about 3 or 4 TP 1320 batts and keep em charged. Just let the motor cool between packs. The more you fly, the better you get. Basement is a small space, so don't let it get away.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:25 PM
chaseman81

I will try not too. Going to the mall tomorrow night to fly in there. they race 1/18th scale cars and a few of the guy's bring their heli's mostly E-Flight ez. But that was enough to get the heli infection again.

I got the 3 cell 11.1 1320Mah will use the Ice charger on it in the morning plannig on charging at 1.3 amps
like the directions say. it's 1320 so that is as close as I can get.

I will have to wait and get some more but the flight times are amazing! The power incredable! The basemant. Scary!

Chaseman81
Old 01-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Heliko

Hey Chaseman,
I just picked up an ICE charger. Do you need a balancer to charge your pack because the 3-cell 1320ma TP packs I see all have balance charge connectors?

On another note does anyone know if an Equinox balancer will work with the TP battery?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:15 AM
chaseman81

ORIGINAL: Heliko

Hey Chaseman,
I just picked up an ICE charger. Do you need a balancer to charge your pack because the 3-cell 1320ma TP packs I see all have balance charge connectors?

On another note does anyone know if an Equinox balancer will work with the TP battery?

I don't have a balancer yet I was gonna talk to my buddy that works at the hobby shop tonight . But with the ice being the charger it is. intelligent. I don't know if you need one or not. If I get one i will just get a cheapy.

when I get back this morning I will be charging for the 1st time withthe ice and will let you know.

Chaseman81
Old 01-20-2007, 11:36 AM
dubya_o

The TP batteries have a different balance plug than the Equinox balancer and won't work. I havent been able to find an adapter that will work either.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Heliko

ORIGINAL: dubya_o

The TP batteries have a different balance plug than the Equinox balancer and won't work. I havent been able to find an adapter that will work either.
That's what I thought.[&o] I was hoping there was an adapter somewhere.

Hey Chaseman you must have a battery with the red JST charge connector because I'm pretty sure a battery with a balancer connection has 4 wires for a 3-cell and the ICE unfortunely does need a balancer so the cells can be individually charged simultaneously.

I hope they standardize this stuff soon or start making adaptors because this could get costly very quickly.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:21 AM
Heliko

Hey Dubya just found this. Don't know if it'll work though. It's listed as a "TP Adapter YH2008-0400 balance connector male"

Name:	Ec89844.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	602943  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.