Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Axe CP mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:27 AM
dubya_o
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Axe CP mods

Heliko,
Where did you find it?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:36 AM
Heliko

Is it the right one Dubya? I found it [link=http://www.helihobby.com/html/WIRES1.html]here[/link], but I don't want to get your hopes up because they seem to be out of stock right now.

Just found some more [link=http://www.rcaccessory.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=45]here[/link] and [link=http://www.commonsenserc.com/index.php?cPath=32_39]this[/link] place has a few as well.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 PM
2kwik2c

First off I want to say that I love this little chopper. I'm a newbie to RC helicopters myself and this was my very first chopper. I've got more experience with RC cars specifically drifting. I bought this last year as a Christmas present for myself. When I first started I had difficulty big time. My AXE CP was going everywhere. I crashed about four times. My fourth crash was a major one. I had to replace my main rotor blade grips. I couldn't find the plastic ones and settled with the CNC one. Those instructional DVD that comes with it make it look so easy, but it's hard. Anyway after a few more practices I am able to hover consistently. I have about 15 hours of flight time experience on it. Still have to practice doing my figure eights heading and nose in hover. After I have got the hang of flying helicopters (even to a point of hovering it with my eyes closed), my future plan was to by the Raptor E550. I love electric helictopers.

Anyway, I did a few mods to my AXE CP. I thought I'd share it with everyone here.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Rotor13B

Do those collars help? Sweet looking machine btw. Love those blade grips$$$

Oh yeah, What stabilizer set are you using?
Old 01-23-2007, 09:04 PM
briankm

Hey guys I'm new to the hobby I have a Lipo 11.1v 910mAh 15c for my axe I can get a good deal on a 11.1v 1500mAh 15C will this damage the heli
Old 01-23-2007, 11:29 PM
Heliko

ORIGINAL: briankm

Hey guys I'm new to the hobby I have a Lipo 11.1v 910mAh 15c for my axe I can get a good deal on a 11.1v 1500mAh 15C will this damage the heli
No. Your heli will be fine. All the battery will do is give you longer flight times. Basically more milliamps equal longer run times.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:42 PM
csommer

hey 2kwik2c, where did you get the blade grips and was the tail boom fin a kit with the support rods or did you make them?
btw sweet model, looks nice.....
Old 01-24-2007, 08:06 AM
2kwik2c

ORIGINAL: Rotor13B

Do those collars help? Sweet looking machine btw. Love those blade grips$$$

Oh yeah, What stabilizer set are you using?
Rotor13b

Thanks for the compliments. Are you talking about the tail boom stabilizer??? If it is, that's the CF rods from the training kit that broke during one of my crashes. I modified/fabricated it so that it'll fit there. I added weights to the fly bar in order to minimize the sensitivity of the controller during flights. It's easier to hover like that.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:11 AM
2kwik2c

ORIGINAL: csommer

hey 2kwik2c, where did you get the blade grips and was the tail boom fin a kit with the support rods or did you make them?
btw sweet model, looks nice.....
csommer

I got the CNC blade grips from a local hobby shop here in Southern California. When I had my major crash, one of my blade grips broke along with the Control hub stabilizer. When I went to the hobby shop to get the replacements, the plastic blade grips were back ordered and that the CNC are the only ones available. I was desperate to get the bird flying again so I settled with the CNC blade grips. If you are interested in upgrading your blade grips, here's the part number that you need in order to get it.

Part no. HMXE7658 Just to let you know these blade grips aren't cheap. They cost about $50.99 at towerhobbies.com, but it should be less expensive if you look around other hobby shops. Good luck.

The CF tail boom fin kit is the optional upgrade for this kit. However, the support rods were fabricated by me to make the heli look like it's big brothers.

Thanks for the compliments by the way.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:13 AM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Heliko

ORIGINAL: briankm

No. Your heli will be fine. All the battery will do is give you longer flight times. Basically more milliamps equal longer run times.
Not necessarily. The 910 Mah battery should be fine. Guys on here use them all the time. The 1500 Mah battery will give longer flight times, if you can fit it in the battery holder. But, the added weight will make your heli nose heavy, so it might not fly. It will also cause the motors to require more power which could cause them to overheat. So, will it damage the heli? I wouldn't use it, but it depends on the weight and size of the battery.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
chaseman81

Heliko If you want a great battery try the thunder power 11.1v 1320mah I have one andam getting two 10min flights. with rest in between to let the motors cool down a bit

This website has them on sale

http://www.tech-mp.com/bat_charge.php

They have thunder power too just look down the page.

Apex Lipo Battery 1350 MAH 11.1V 15C
The Apex 1350 MAH battery is 11.1 volts of the type 3s1p. It has a maximum discharge rate of 15C
(about 31.5 amps). The dimensions are 35mm x 65mm x 21mm. It weighs about 102 grams and has
a built in balancing connector (TP style). Li-Poly Safety Pamphlet

Great high power battery at a reasonable price. Now with TP style balance connector and
Apex main connector.

Excellent choice for Blade CP, Honey Bee & King, Shogun, and any 300 to 400 size airplanes.

IN STOCK $31.99
Old 01-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Savage_Wolf

i bought an ace cp back arond christmas time. within the first hour of using it, the gyro assembl caught fire, (most likely from the lithium battery blowing up) this caused a crash tearing the covering off the blades in several places. the rotor was severly twisted and the tail boom broke off the body, the plastic around the battery housing was also melted. after getting a run-around from towerhobbies and heli-max, and almost 5 weeks later, i got the heli back. i had them add cvc aluminum gears, a heading hold gyro assembly, a new lithium battery (the origional blew up and melted the plastic on the axe frame.), and finaly carbon fiber blades ($95 from the local hobby store)

after installing all the upgrades, it flew fine. the carbon blades seem to give it more lift... i think its because they are a little wider than the stock wood blades. the only pproblem i had with the upgrades is the new gyro freaks out when the heli is inverted, it constantly trys to correct itself. the gears are a little noisy but being that they are aluminum, they should last for a long time.

this heli needs to be taken care of, i really wouldnt recomend it to new flyers as it breaks easlly. but it does do what they say. it flys inverted and can do 3d flight ( though not as well as its competition )

i would like to add a brushless motor. does anyone know of one that's compatable to the CP?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Heliko

Thanks Chaseman, but I was actually answering Briankm's question.

I know Thunder Power makes some great batteries, but at $50 for a 11.1v 1320ma they know it too. I went with some DN Power 11.1v 1350ma for $29.99. There suppose to be comparable to TP so we'll see.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Armhunter

2kwik2c -
quick question about your CNC grips..
I just got mine in and installed them.
I noticed that one side is not stable. I can move it up and down, not much, but just enough to think it can cause a vibration. Are your cnc grips tight as the originals?
I am thinking the bearings that came with it are not fitting properly...
Old 01-24-2007, 05:17 PM
briankm

Thanks guys about the battery replies it helps me out
Old 01-24-2007, 06:12 PM
2kwik2c

ORIGINAL: Armhunter

quick question about your CNC grips..
I just got mine in and installed them.
I noticed that one side is not stable. I can move it up and down, not much, but just enough to think it can cause a vibration. Are your cnc grips tight as the originals?
I am thinking the bearings that came with it are not fitting properly...

I have that same problem. One side is loose while the other is somewhat fit. It's not unlike the plastic ones which are snuggly fit. I tried re-arranging the bearings and the rubber O rings, and still it's loose. When I try to fly it, it does seem to affect it's flight characteristics..at least to my point of view. I don't see any wobbling or vibration. May be a proffessional can notice it, but for a newbie like me, it looks ok. If there's an after market bearings that have the same size with a wider width, i'd like to try it and see if it corrects that issue. Otherwise I can live with it for now.

Or maybe we need to use this:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNWN1&P=Z

CNC center hub. May be the CNC blade grips have a better fit using the CNC center hubs...just a guess because I am still using the plastic center hub and that's probably why it doesn't have a good fit. If there's anyone here that have a CNC converted main shaft, may be they can answer our question.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Armhunter

It does not effect my heli either, only a vibration while taking off... i am not sure that is causing the vibration, but it only started when I replaced those..
But mine hovers without a problem.
I dont think the center hub is the answer. I am thinking the bearings dont fit exactly..

How tight are you screwing those two screws that hold the grips in?
I tried as tight as possible, but then it seemed like it took effort to rotate the grips..
Old 01-24-2007, 06:56 PM
2kwik2c

ORIGINAL: Armhunter

It does not effect my heli either, only a vibration while taking off... i am not sure that is causing the vibration, but it only started when I replaced those..
But mine hovers without a problem.
I dont think the center hub is the answer. I am thinking the bearings dont fit exactly..

How tight are you screwing those two screws that hold the grips in?
I tried as tight as possible, but then it seemed like it took effort to rotate the grips..

I tried that too and it's still loose. Now that you mentioned it, the initial start sure show some vibrations, but when you're in full throttle, then it disappears. huh??????????? May be heli-max miscalculate the measurements for the bearings or even the CNC blade grips.