Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

rebuilt hub, axe cp

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

rebuilt hub, axe cp

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:26 AM
bryon261

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilt hub, axe cp

rebuilt hub, replaced shaft,gear . had a hard time getting the blade grips off hub . still has a little wobble but when new blades were installed it's not noticeable. there is alittle vibration. i just flew it ,it fly's good, i guess i'm going to have to get use to the fact that the plastic parts are not perfect. i reconmend anyone replacing a shaft and gear to take apart the air frame. it very tricky if you don't. alot of force is needed toget the gear pressed on the shaft while at the same time holding the heli, i had to use a c-clamp. Question. the fly bar weights on the heli do not seem adjustable. they need to be in towards the fly bar carrier to hold the fly bar in position, if i move them outwards you can slide the fly bar back and forth with a little force. so is there a way to adjust them? do i need to get 2 more added to the fly bar?
Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Heli Bat

Default RE: rebuilt hub, axe cp

I think the Inside Diameter (ID) is a little too big for those weights to slide down towards the paddles. You might have to go with a smaller collar which probably would not hurt anyway.
It would be interesting if you took on the experiement and challenge to see what would happen if you added a small collar on each end of the flybar, but then again, I would not want anyone to do anything dangerous or put themselves at risk of damaging their machine or hurting personal property or themselves.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:12 AM
ElectricHead

I added 1/16" wheel collars to my fly bar a few weeks ago. Works well to tame down heli. The main reason I put them on is so I could do a cordwise balance by sliding one collar all the way out to paddle and then adjusting other collar to bring in balance on high point balancer. Second collar ended up about 3/4" in from other paddle. Heli flys with very little shake now.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:15 AM
outtamyway

The collars probably have a definite advantage if you have what you need to do the different balances, but I'm telling you from experience that the Blade CP paddles on the AXE are excellent for us beginners. They add 1.7g to each side. They also have screws to lock them in place so that minor crashes don't change their angle of attack.

My hub looks like something is bent as well, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. Mine is smooth and tracking perfectly.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:12 AM
bryon261

whats a high point balancer? when you mean 1/16" wheel collars aka fly bar weights? did you add them to your fly bar alone with the weights that are already there? i would really like to fully understand what tou did to your heli. iwant to try it....thanks.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:29 AM
bryon261

if you look at the fly bar carrier,you will see from the factory that the placement of the weights are over the nipples of the carrier and locked down. if i loosen the weights and slide them off the the carrier nipples , the fly bar itself can be slided back and forth with a little effort. maybe the fly bar might not move when spun up i don't know. maybe i need to get some 1/16" collars and add them to the flybar and try and high point balanced as someone suggested.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Heliko

ORIGINAL: bryon261

I recommend anyone replacing a shaft and gear to take apart the air frame.
Hey Bryon, I may have another way. Like you I just put a new mainshaft in, but I polished it first. It slid in far more smoothly through the top bearing and though still snug in the flygear it went in with fairly little force(I used a little moly grease too). It even seem like the swash works more smoothly as well.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:45 AM
bryon261

hey thanks for tip. when you spin the shaft can you notice if it is warped, mine is alittle.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:51 AM
ElectricHead

I purchased some main blades at my LHS to replace my old blades that had some battle scars but were ueseable. I also went a head and got some Blade CP paddles to see how they work. Balanced my blades and installed Blade paddles and used my wheel collars all the way in towards hub and only had to move one out about .375" to bring in chordwise balance. Aftre all said and done I went out for a test. I flew in my garage and paddles did in fact calm down heli (thanks outtamyway for tip). So I decided that I would go outside and try a flight. I found out that my heli flys much better outside than in the garage. A lot better in fact. Must have something to do with rotor wind being not "contained" in garage. I was doing 12 foot high hovers and heli was much more stable outside. Only hovered high for a little (3 min or so) because perspective is different and did not want to push myself too hard. For all you that like to tinker with small things that do make a difference I recomend you try Blade paddles as per [sm=thumbs_up.gif]outtamyway[sm=thumbs_up.gif] sugested and go outside and try it. If you do not like it your only out a little time and about $4.00
Old 01-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Heliko

ORIGINAL: bryon261

hey thanks for tip. when you spin the shaft can you notice if it is warped, mine is alittle.
Hey Bryon,

The mainshaft I put in looks totally straight as far as I can tell. It's alot better than what it replaced, but I'm still waiting on grips so I haven't flown it yet.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:47 PM
bryon261

thanks for the tip on install of shaft i'll have to try it next time.