Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Futaba TX

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:04 PM
tuberculosis8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba TX

I have just got in the Futaba 9CAP radio I bought from a guy online. It was sent set on channel 13. What do I have to do to this radio to get it to work with the AXE CP?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Armhunter

Default RE: Futaba TX

I believe you need to have the same channel crystal in both the receiver and the radio...
I have flown a lot of planes, but never mixed my units up.. I always used JR everything...
Did the radio come with a receiver?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Heliko

You also have to make sure the radio has a setting for 120 degree eCCPM mixing.

Good luck
Old 01-24-2007, 05:15 PM
tuberculosis8

It did not come with a crystal. I looked online to get a crystal for the stock CP crystal and I a) Don't know what brand the receiver is b) Don't know if changing the crystal to 13 will work because the AXE CP is only available in 36,40,42,44,54, and 56.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:24 PM
dfalcon
My Feedback: (76)

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBFL113&P=ML]This[/link] is the crystal you need tuberculosis.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:35 PM
tuberculosis8

All I have to do is buy [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBFL113&P=ML]this[/link] and change out my crystals in the receiver and the 9CAP will work with my axe?

It would beat trying to replace the receiver.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:38 PM
dfalcon

Yep. I've been using the same one (but ch.54) fine for a couple weeks now without a problem.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:40 PM
tuberculosis8

My concern is that channel 54 is a channel the AXE is available in and 13 is not. I am not doubting you I am just trying to make sure because since I bought this heli I have doubled the cost. (Not including the new radio) Just in repairs. I am getting frustrsted (not with you though thefalcon)
Old 01-24-2007, 05:51 PM
dfalcon

36,40,42,44,54, and 56 being the only crystals Heli-max chooses to include doesn't limit the Rx to those channels. Looking at that list, my only concern is that the rx might be high band only (channels 36 - 60) like Futaba receivers are (high band or low band only). If that's the case you'd need to buy a [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXH258**&P=7]frequency module[/link] for your transmitter that matches your axe receiver channel. (I thought they used to cost $35 !?) The frequency module would replace the ch13 one that's already plugged into the rear of your 9C. Or you could purchase the synthesized frequency module and have access to any channel you want.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:16 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

Its going to take some looking into, but it should work. The 9CAP is an an "airplane" radio which is just saying it is labeled for airplanes. You will probably have to go into the menu and select "Heli" and then set up the swashplate for 120 degree CCPM. Finally, you will have to make sure it is transmitting in PPM or FM mode and not in PCM mode. That is what the last letter (P) is in 9CAP. The (A) is for airplane.

Did you just get the TX or did it come with a manual and RX?

You could also get an "Autoshift" rx and 13 crystal and replace the rx in the Axe.

You can find your maual here: http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/index.html
Old 01-24-2007, 06:20 PM
dfalcon

I have the 9CAP and am using it with my Axe. A few months ago, I opened the radio up and sanded the ratchet off of the little plastic disk on the throttle. The only other difference (I think) from the 9CHP, is the position of the idle-up switch and maybe one other switch.

EDIT: (SR-1 is the swash type you need to use, and the default is ppm, not pcm mode so don't worry about that)
Old 01-24-2007, 06:43 PM
PilotLight

ORIGINAL: thefalcon

I have the 9CAP and am using it with my Axe. A few months ago, I opened the radio up and sanded the ratchet off of the little plastic disk on the throttle. The only other difference (I think) from the 9CHP, is the position of the idle-up switch and maybe one other switch.

EDIT: (SR-1 is the swash type you need to use, and the default is ppm, not pcm mode so don't worry about that)

Did you have to program your idle up switch? Did you set up expo and has it helped?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:01 PM
dfalcon

The idle-up switch is stuck on the same 3-position switch (at work so I don't know which one exactly) on the upper right hand side of the radio. You can't assign it to any other switch.
Expo is the primary reason I wanted to use my 9C for the Axe; -25% on the cyclic has really stabilized it. I also have dual rates and all 3 idle-up modes programmed, but I won't use those for a while. I don't know why I took the time to program anything more than normal mode--when my brushless motor (replacement for the one I broke being dumb) gets here, I'll probably have to adjust everything anyway. I'm also removing the 3-in-1 and using a HH gyro and brushed esc in its place. Gonna give the direct drive tail a shot too.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:02 AM
tuberculosis8

I called a Futaba technical rep and he said that a) the AXE won't work with a synthesing crystal in the radio b) AXE receiver is high band only

he said the only way to fix my situation is to either buy a new crystal for the radio or send in the current crystal for tuning ($28)
Old 01-25-2007, 03:29 PM
PilotLight

Not familiar with 9CAP radios, but why can't you just take the crystal out of the Transmitter from the Heli-max and put it in the Futaba 9CAP?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:36 PM
tuberculosis8

The crystal in the Heli-max transmitter is a "plug" style. The crystal in the futaba radio is more of a cartridge. They are completely different type crystals.. (I wish that would've worked)
Old 01-25-2007, 03:39 PM
PilotLight

Just found this in the manual, so disregard above post:

• In North America it is against FCC regulation to change the crystal within the transmitter module to a different
channel. All such transmitter crystal changes must be performed by a certified radio technician. Failure to properly tune
a system to its new channel may result in decreased range and may also result in interference to other types of frequency
users on adjoining channels. Doing so also voids your AMA insurance.

I'd get an aftermarket receiver tuned to channel 13 and use it in the Axe with the Futaba TX.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:02 PM
dfalcon

PilotLight, the 9CAP uses a frequency 'module' instead of a crystal. It's a small rectangular box that 'clicks' into the back of the transmitter. They are a method by which a transmitter's frequency can legally be changed, and allow radios that use them to be changed from one band to another without problems (i.e. 72MHz, 75MHz, 50MHz) just by changing out your current module for the appropriate one.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:21 PM
PilotLight

Thanks thefalcon

I noticed they had 3 listings for frequency choices. A frequency module, a chrystal you could purchase, or a synthesized module which can select any frequency. Does the crystal go IN the module? I saw the modules are expensive.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:26 PM
dfalcon

No, you don't put anything into the modules. Each one is set for a specific frequency already (except for the synthesized module, which has 2 dials on it to select any channel in a particular band).