Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
 I really screwed it - ARGG!!! >

I really screwed it - ARGG!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

I really screwed it - ARGG!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I really screwed it - ARGG!!!

I was putting my AXE back to gether (but I lost my servos and control arms that I bought), but plunged ahead. I was also having to rebuild the whole tail assembly. When I finished I wanted to fire it up with only the motor driving the main shaft to see how that was doing ( I rebuilt the main shaft as well).

I was wondering why I was not getting any tail spin and about that time noticed some smoke coming from front. DANG ! the wires not only were not soldered to the tail motor, they were touching each other and shorting out !!!! About $90 for the mixer board of which I fried --

I might as well just order another AXE and just use this one for spare. I could have aready bought another one for all the parts (and now this mistake).

This is like totally bummer. What a way to lay your head down to go to bed on this one. Crap !!!! Too much electronics to keep up with and hey - I got a dang degree in Electronic Eng Tech on top of that. Something kept telling me to go ahead and solder those wires, but I did not. I got distracted I guess when I was trying to find something that I dropped on the floor.

Oh well, I was having a really bad headache and not feeling good when I got home from work. I guess if anything, I should try and work on these things when I am fresh with no distractions.
When I get paid, I might as well order another one coz, this is ridiculous to spend almost 50% of repair of what the thing cost new. I bet that circuit board really did not cost but about 3 dollars to make !!!
Sorry for the rant, but how can they sale a heli - a transmitter - a DVD - and all the trimmings for only $199 and then turn around and charge $90 for a mixer board !!!

Heli Bat
ps - Tower will not have any new AXE's until mid February !!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 11:48 PM

Default RE: I really screwed it - ARGG!!!

For about the same price as a new Axe, you could also buy a Spektrum DX6 and a couple of speed controls. That would give you the flexibility to go brushless and ad a HH gyro.

Just throwing that out there as another option.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:43 AM

Sorry to here this. I have to replace my tail motor mount and I will be sure to remember to take care. Sorry dude, I have to learn by your mistake.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:07 AM

If you are somehow savvy in flying your Axe CP, why don't you step up to a whole new level? Instead of getting another AXE CP, why not get a different one? There are several other "good" helis besides the AXE. I just recently ordered my very first "big" chopper" from East Coast Extreme Heli. Now I'm just waiting for my Radio gear, gyro, Lipo, ESC, and Brushless motor to arrive. BTW, the big chopper I'm talking about is the Raptor E550. I sure can't wait to build that thing and fire it up.

Anyway, why don't you try getting TREX450XL? A good combo from Helihobby.com would run you about $600 with all the necessary gear to fly and with shipping.

I think the AXE CP is simply a "cheap" designed RC heli that is somewhat a good entry level RC, but with some issues and problems. Like the saying goes "you get what you paid for." Plus the company "Heli-Max" simply cannot provide enough parts to their customers and dealer or even accomodate them.

Think it over.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:45 AM
My Feedback: (1)

It seems rediculous to buy a larger more expensive helicopter if you crashed the one you have now. Its just going to be twice as expensive the next crash.

Helibat, slow down, take your time, look at what you're doing, have a plan. You still have the servos somewhere, you just have to find them, the ESC or 3in1 is expensive, but lesson learned. Don't try things out unless they're ready to go and double check before plugging in that battery. Double check the wires, the idle up switch, the throttle position.

I feel for ya cause I've done stuff like that too. In fact, my wife was laughing and taking pictures to boot. Damn tree ate my plane. Anyway, like I said the heli is fine "the enemy is us".

Good Luck in whatever you decide.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:25 AM

Hey PilotLight, get this. I priced the Trex 450 parts and they're no more expensive than Axe parts. Some of the comparable Trex parts are even a bit less expensive. Ah, go figure.

Heli Bat have you considered the going seperates route as desribed [link=http://www.helihobby.com/html/separate_electronics.html]here[/link]. It would give you the ability to go with a heading hold gyro or BL motors.