Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
 GYRO and the AXE CP >

GYRO and the AXE CP

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

GYRO and the AXE CP

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GYRO and the AXE CP

ORIGINAL: VBDave

This what I was talking about... No BEC / ESC used in this.. I just wonder if anyone has done this with the stock electronics in the Axe? EEEEKY?

[img][/img]
Will this work with any HH gyro? Doesn't the telebee gyro have two leads with a tab to plug in a signal wire?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:55 AM

Yes but on the Telebee gyro the instructions say that the signal wire dosen't have to be hooked up because it locks itself into heading hold mode anyway.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:48 AM

( I just posted this on RCGroups too... You all might find it somewhat usefull)

Couple things found while trying this mod, and GREAT thinking Eeeeky!

First, to use ANY external Gyro without the HelixMax ESC Hack you'll need to do some setup and, depending on if the Gyro has remote gain control or not.. you may need your OWN RADIO.

In either case, you'll want to turn the Gyro Gain (Center Pot) down on the 3-in-1 to effectively turn OFF the built-in Gyro circuit so they don't compete with eachother.

For a GY401 (or other remote gain capable Gyros..) You will NEED YOUR OWN TRANSMITTER that allows you to set the gain on the gyro properly. [ I'm trying to replace the receiver / radio with the Futaba 6EX Fasst.. and that's NOT going well...] 20~40% gain seems to be working for HH mode on the GY401 as reported by Eeeeky. If you try to use a remote gain Gyro with the stock transmitter, the wiring forces the gyro to HH-MODE, but with 100% GAIN and you'll get nothing but huge tail wag! (And if you unplug the gain lead from channel 5 it will force the gyro back to Non-HH Mode, but with 0% gain so you can't fly that way either...)

Using the GY240 or Non-Remote Gain Gyro should just plug in as indicated and you'd manually set the gain on the Gyro itself. (I'll verify this later today if I can, but in theory it's a perfect match.)

The reason this method works is, you're letting the gyro do the rudder mixing from your radio and then using the servo output signal to drive the tail rotor ESC on the 3-in-1 as if the input was coming directly from the sticks. I'm going to say that neither Eeeeky nor myself will be held responsible for blowing your 3-in-1.. lol.. I'm sure there's some current issues we aren't aware of, driving the 3-in-1 from the servo output of the Gyro.. but who can resist? I know Eeeeky has been using his with this arrangement for some time and hasn't blown his 3-in-1 yet.. but use at your OWN risk!

If you want to play 'safe', use the Official HeliMax method linked to on the first page of this post. If you don't want the soldering, ESC, BEC, Arming issues and costs for the HeliMax thread.. Use this method.. AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Now... back to my radio woes...

Dave

PS: Quick Summary

GY401 or other Remote Gain Gyros..
1) REQUIRES your own transmitter/radio that you can set the Gain to 20~40% for the Gyro. (your results may vary)
2) Set Gyro Gain (Middle Pot) on the stock 3-in-1 down to 0
3) Gyro plugs into CHANNEL 4, GAIN LEAD into CHANNEL 5, Orange wire from ESC that WAS in channel 4 now goes to the signal lead on the servo connector of the Gyro. (Lt. Blue on the gy401)

GY240 or other Mechanical Gain (on the Gyro) type s..
1) Set Gyro Gain (Middle Pot) on the stock 3-in-1 down to 0
2) Gyro will plug into CHANNEL 4 (Rudder) and existing Orange wire from 3-in-1 plugs into the signal lead on the servo connector of the gyro.
3) Manually adjust gain as required.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:58 PM

So in short, my 401 will not work with the stock transmitter. Rats!!!
Old 03-18-2007, 04:01 PM

Not unless you can hook up a POT or something to set the gain manually..

(Just testing with a CSW? HH gyro.. Don't like the Gyro, but it DOES work. It's a P.I.T.A to get the gain manually adjusted, and I had to actually turn the Gyro Gain on a little on the 3-in-1 to reduce the wag. Now it seems steady.. charging the new LiPo's and will give it a better run in a bit! )

Dave
Old 03-18-2007, 04:27 PM

I bought a CSM gyro and hadn't even used it yet when I read this off the [link=http://www.swashplate.co.uk/ehbg-v17/ch06.html]Swashplate[/link] site
Most heading hold gyros (other than the Futaba GY series) seem to have drifting problems. This is caused by the gyro's expectation of the rudder "center stick" position being different from the transmitter's center stick position. This can be very frustrating because the one click of the subtrim can be the difference between the heli slowly turning left and the heli slowly turning right.

The Futaba GY series seems to calibrate the center stick position at power-up which eliminates the need to use rudder subtrim. Therefore I highly recommend the GY240 or GY401 for beginners.
so I returned it and got a GY240.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:59 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks VBDave, for the comment. I didn't see that Helimax had you buy a separate ESC. Has anyone else used the 3-1 for an ESC to the Tail off of a HH Gyro? Does it work? Does it hold up?
Old 03-24-2007, 06:38 PM

Did the gy240 upgrade per specs of helimax. Not really happy. I have been messing with the gain to try to eliminate wag but can't get it.
Are you other guys getting a solid tail or do you still have a slight wag. I'm using the 1320 lipo and blade cp tail blade.
Karl
Old 03-24-2007, 06:44 PM

Nope, i have no problems with mine .. also using the Blade tail blade Turn the 3-1 down
Old 03-24-2007, 08:16 PM

Last week I got some interference and my blade cp, crashed, after 4 hours of searching for it I gave up, the next day I tried again and found it but the interference made the motor keep running so it heated up and burned my blade , total loss. I can do very mild acrobatics and I was wondering If I go for a helimax axe cp or the blade cp pro which one would you recommend? thanks for your help.

Ps: would a gyro help for either one? I am thinking on the futaba Gy 240 would it help?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 AM

(Just testing with a CSW? HH gyro.. Don't like the Gyro, but it DOES work. It's a P.I.T.A to get the gain manually adjusted, and I had to actually turn the Gyro Gain on a little on the 3-in-1 to reduce the wag. Now it seems steady.. charging the new LiPo's and will give it a better run in a bit! )

Dave
BVDave,

That's exactly what I was thinking. I unfortuantely was thinking too far into the future myself and purchased the GY401 and Mini-ESC thinking of moving it to a different copter in the future. However, it seems that unless I throw a POT in the way to control the gain, it may very well be wasted money unless I buy a whole new Radio/RX setup.

So, with that in mind, and with the open statement that I am an electronics tinker, do you have any recommendations of Ohm rating for a micro POT for this interconnection? I may just pick up a box of assorted POTS from RadioCrack, but I figured that I would ask first.

TIA!

Old 03-26-2007, 02:17 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts

The 401 relies on a signal on that wire from 1 to 2 ms in duration to set the mode and gain, greater than 1 and less than 1.5ms is heading hold mode and a gain percentage, more than 1.5 ms is rate mode and a gain percentage. 1.25mx would be heading hold mode and 50 percent gain, 1.75ms would be rate mode and 50 percent gain.

A pot wont cut it.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:49 PM

hey I got the axe cp I want to take out the stock raido and the 3-1 and put in a 401 and a 6ch pcm raido what elas would I need to put in to it am I missing any thing
Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 PM

questions guys: as a new-b and one that is not mechanically inclined is it folly for me to not invest in a heading hold gyro? ...is it critical to learning to fly this heli?

thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 10:18 PM

Others may have other opinions, but my suggestion is not to put a lot of accessories or new parts on. A heading hold gyro is a great help, but it's hard to put in the Axe. I'd suggest RealFlight for your computer, ping-pongs for your real heli, and Radd routine to get used to the bird before you take it off the ground. Take it slow and you'll have a lot of fun; push it and you'll spend a lot of money. Good luck!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 PM

i believe a lipo is better than a hh gyro. once you get your 3 in 1 dialed in it fly's fine with no need for a hh gyro
Old 03-27-2007, 09:32 AM

much much thanks for the info - as always i 'preciate it much [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=49_49.gif]
Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 PM

hye guy i just put a futaba gy240 and a elertrifly c-12 esc in my cp and when i plug in the battrey the tail just spins i have the gain at 60 and the dir on rev and the avcs on any ideas
Old 03-28-2007, 07:41 PM

Did you turn the gain down on the stock gyro?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:58 PM

Are you Arming the ESC ..
Old 04-02-2007, 08:27 PM

(

GY240 or other Mechanical Gain (on the Gyro) type s..
1) Set Gyro Gain (Middle Pot) on the stock 3-in-1 down to 0
2) Gyro will plug into CHANNEL 4 (Rudder) and existing Orange wire from 3-in-1 plugs into the signal lead on the servo connector of the gyro.
3) Manually adjust gain as required.

does anyone know what color the signal lead is on the gy240?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: handofdume

does anyone know what color the signal lead is on the gy240?
Hey Dume the signal wire is white.

I tried to use my GY240 with the 3-in-1. It didn't work very well. I couldn't get it dialed in. Either the gyro wouldn't keep the tail from spinning or I would turn up TR trim and the tail motor would just pulse. VERY, VERY, ANNOYING!!! I have a full BL set-up on the way though. This is my second 3-in-1 the first had tail controller problems too, and all I can say is I can't wait to eliminate the POS.

I hope you have better results than I did.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:49 PM

thanks i have a seperate esc, im gonna give it a shot wo the mod. if it becomes a pain im going with the cut and solder method. ill keep ya posted
Old 04-02-2007, 09:50 PM

I think you should be OK with it then. Let us know how it works out for you
Old 04-03-2007, 12:30 AM

Will someone with a Telebee gyro ohms test there's and tell what resistance your getting? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.