Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
 MX 400 for a beginner? >

MX 400 for a beginner?

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

MX 400 for a beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MX 400 for a beginner?

Hey all, I am thinking about asking for a mx400 for my birthday. I have wanted a heli for a long time, I am into r/c trucks and can fly a plane, but not that well. Anyway I just picked up on of those airhogs wally world helis, it is pretty fun, it took me a little while to learn how to balance it to get it to go forward, but now I think I want a hobby grade heli. I looked at the t-rex first, but after hearing that it was for experts I decided to go for the mx. How easy is this heli on beginners, like how bad of a crash does it take to really mess this thing up? How about when I get good with it? Will I be able to get high performance out of it? I have a duratrax ICE charger and a futaba 6 channel transmitter (FM) and a few standard and mini servos and a standard sized reciever, would getting just a kit and buying a lipo pack and a esc and bl motor be worth it? Give me any tips you guys think would be benificial.

thanks

Jacob
Old 03-24-2007, 09:33 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: MX 400 for a beginner?

I don't recommend the MX400 for the first time flyer, get a Blade CX instead, or get an Axe or a Blade CP. I started out on the CP and then advanced to the MX400.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:27 PM
rwj

I agree. I have a MX400 with a 401 gyro and a digital servo on the tail. I am now just getting it back together after a crash. I just purchased an AXE CP about two weeks ago and I wish I would have learned on this 5 years ago. It has a simple collective system seems easy to repair and it flies well in forward flight. Just make sure you buy a lipoly battery when you get it if you decide on this one. The radio is pre programed and is flight ready out of the box with training gear. Start out simple and move your way up. If you get to the point that you can fly the axe well you will be able to fly anything. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:19 PM

blade cp then upgrade to the mx400 with the ccpm kit !! thats my vote !
Old 03-25-2007, 05:34 PM

AXE CP then upgrade to the mx400 with the ccpm kit !!
Old 03-25-2007, 07:27 PM
My Feedback: (1)

how much better's the eCCPM kit?
Old 03-26-2007, 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Philng

I don't recommend the MX400 for the first time flyer, get a Blade CX instead, or get an Axe or a Blade CP. I started out on the CP and then advanced to the MX400.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:51 PM
My Feedback: (14)

I started out with a Blade CP Pro. Wow, that was a handful to fly. I went thru at least 6 sets
of main blades and two main shafts and one feathering shaft and one tail motor. But, I finally
got it to fly pretty good. Its the same as a Axe CP.

Now I have a MX-400 with stock motor and a Futaba heli radio.

I wish I had got the MX-400 first. Man, this heli is so smooth and easy to fly I can't believe it.
I have not broken anything on it learning to fly it. And, it handles the wind great with a Futaba
GY240 gyro on it.... You can't go wrong with this one.

Bob
Old 03-28-2007, 10:27 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Learn on a simulator first. Get the best sim you can afford, and learn every bit of hovering you can from it. With every crash on the sim, it pays for itself. Get the free FMS if you have to, and it's good to show you the very basics of hovering. It's not very realistic, but it will give you that ever-important hand to eye coordination. I used the sim for what seemed like hundreds of hours before starting with the real deal. I have not even had a hard landing yet, and I started with a Hummingbird fixed pitch. Moved on to a coax heli, then the 400MX Pro, and now am putting together a Kyosho Caliber 5 nitro. I still use my sim every chance I get, and it keeps you from getting rusty when the weather turns sour and you can't fly outside.

Jesse