Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
 Axe CP Vibration???!!!! >

Axe CP Vibration???!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Axe CP Vibration???!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Axe CP Vibration???!!!!

ORIGINAL: Heliko

Pilot Light does the vibration get worse as speed increases?
Yes, but only if I go to idle up mode. In the normal mode there isn't enough speed to cause visible vibration. It's showing up in the antenna on the right skid, which is oscillating up and down about 1/4 inch. With the stock batteries increased weight the heli is smooth, but with these light Li-pos and higher head speed, it shakes.

I've got the tracking nearly perfect. Its gotta be in the blade balance, but I don't have a balancer.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: PilotLight
I've got the tracking nearly perfect. Its gotta be in the blade balance, but I don't have a balancer.
Try this:

I found a way to balance the blades using ordinary household items: 1 paper clip, 2 rubberbands, 2 CD jewel cases, a dictionary, a ruler, felt-tip pen, scotch tape. I based my procedures off of T-Rex Tuning.

I bent/broke off one of the straight pieces from the paper clip and threaded it through the holes on the blades. This was held in place by the rubberbands and wrapped them above and below enough times to hold the blades straight (at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions).

I placed the extended paper clip pieces on the upright CD jewel cases to find the lighter blade.

I placed the ruler inside the upright dictionary and held the ruler perpendicular to the table. Using the ruler, I followed the directions as described in the T-Rex link above to find the center of gravity. I placed enough tape at the appropriate end of the blade to match the center of gravities between the blades.

I then rigged it back up using the paper clip and rubberbands and then balanced their weights with more tape.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:23 PM

Pilot Light it doesn't sound like anything is bent. It also sounds like you got it pretty well balanced already if the bad vibes are only showing up at high RPM. To go further the only advice I can give involves a balancer to balance the head as a unit.

Here's the way I do it using a helimax balancer.

First using the balancer normally I find the CG of the blades. So far the blade CG have been the same.

Second I pull apart the balancer. I have one of it's legs screwed to a board. I found that a spare mainshaft I have fits inside the leg's bearings perfectly

Third I pull the head off the heli mount it on the balancer and with the blades off to balance the flybar. This method it a bit more exact than measuring distance.

Fourth I install the blades and apply tracking tape to the light blade until they sit level. This not only balances the blades, but also compensates for any balance variations in the head assembly. I also colored the washers and on the head to mark each side and to make sure when the blades come off they go back on the same side.

This has produced very good results for me. My Axe is very smooth even at full throttle which with the BL set-up is topping 3000 RPM.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30874.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	680287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49116.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	680288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11713.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	680289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73744.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	680290  
Old 05-13-2007, 04:15 PM

I just caused a vibration in my CP by a blade strike in my living room. After repairing the broken blade grip I found the CP vibrates pretty bad right at the point of liftoff. It seems to hover ok, but the vibration is pretty bad.
What is the most likely cause of vibration due to a blade strike? Everything was smooth prior. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2007, 04:36 PM

Canadianlst if the main shaft still looks straight and true I'd check for a bent feathering spindle.

I've noticed a pattern with the Axe. If the blades strike something hard like wood or metal it usually damages the blade and breaks a grip, but hitting something soft usually bends the mainshaft and/or the feathering spindle.