Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Idle up vs. Normal flight mode question

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Idle up vs. Normal flight mode question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 06:23 PM
flag8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle up vs. Normal flight mode question

My MX 400 Pro looks and feels more stable in Idle up mode vs. normal mode, is this normal? Brand new bird.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Foxito

Default RE: Idle up vs. Normal flight mode question

jmacg8r,

Idle up toggle switch makes the throttle speed jump to a mininum of 40% all the time. I have not tried that switch yet while flying, since I'm in the learning curve only doing this for two months, but as I understand that switch will keep up your throttle at 40% at least, preventing the heli going down, however when you move throttle down, is suposed to change the blades to a negative pitch, so be careful with that.... That switch is used for inverted flight, unless you're doing inverted flight, I wouldn't mess with that switch... at least I am affraid to flip that switch with the heli up there, I have no exact idea what is going to happen, so I won't try it...not me for the time being....hehe

Have you flipped that switch in a normal flight? What does your heli do when you flip it? You said it makes it more stable (which makes sense), but what do you exactly notice while flying with that switch on? Have you tried go down with that switch on?.... Until you tell me exactly what you have noticed.....I won't try mine...hehe.

Now you made me curious about the darned switch ;-)

Regards

Old 04-29-2007, 07:34 PM
SchoooBaka

Carefull!!
This is exactly how I took the tips off a set of blades for my Axe CP.
Don't mess with it till you get into forward flight.
In my case, I got too close to my tool cart and could'nt shut it down in time. [X(]
Old 04-29-2007, 09:10 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

Yep, idle up kicks your head speed up to closer to 80%. And the gyroscopic effect makes the heli a lot smoother. But, be careful because you are no longer controling the motor speed. Your throttle stick now operates your blade pitch only and middle stick is zero pitch. So full down stick will drive your heli into the ground really fast.

Just remember to switch back to normal till you get the hang of it....I know I'm not ready to try it

Bob
Old 04-29-2007, 09:12 PM
jw637362
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jmacg8r - I have just moved to Idle up mode on my MX 400 pro. It will definatley feel different when you first fly it in Idle up 1 mode. I have set the throttle control to the same curve in the center as my normal mode so I can roughly gauge where the center is when I switch.
Less jumping around after flipped. It does fly more stable because you are not really decreasing the throttle (blades rpm's) but just changing the pitch from POS to NEG.
That switch is used for inverted flight, unless you're doing inverted flight, I wouldn't mess with that switch.
You can fly upright in IDLE up. You just have to utilize the upper potion of the gimble rather than the lower / negative portion until you are trying to land.
I am at the point of pulling verticals and trying to find the point of 0 pitch and doing tail spins. Great thing to try and learn with IDLE up.
Best way I found and was told to do is start on normal model on the ground and then flip it to idle up before you take off.
I held it to the ground in my living room and flipped the switch to see what happens. That also helped me set up the curves.

Don't mess with it till you get into forward flight.
Good point

Hope it helps a little.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Foxito

SchoooBaka,

Didn't you read what I said before to the guy that was asking about the idle switch?

That's what I told him, be CAREFUL with that switch, how you dare to tell me? I guess someone is out of synch here.....hehe. ;-)

Anyway, yeah that switch makes the idle throttle go at least a minimum of 40%, it is very clear in the manual.... so I wouldn't mess with that switch unless the heli woule be up there very high, and even in that case, I would not do it..... - I am not to the point yet of saying "I am a graduated pilot", and I can't say I can fly in the normal way.....I would not dare to toggle that switch...forget it! hahahahaha.

On my Walkera 22E a couple months ago, not knowing what the Hell that switch was for (they call it Mode "1" on the Walkera TX), the heli was on the ground and I flipped that switch and man I almost had a heart attack....hahahahaha..... The damn thing spun at maximum speed and of course it didn't take off because the pitch is negative, it tries to blow air up and push down, exactly what's needed for inverted flight when the heli is upside down....but I didn't know that crap....so here I go and flipped that switch and like I said, I had the scare of my life...hahahaha.... now I say it and makes me laugh, but believe me at that moment I didn't laugh.

I ain't gonna' touch that switch on the Axe CP, maybe when I get alot more advanced and the damn thing is up there 50-100' feet or more above the ground I might be tempted to flip that dreaded switch......but for the time being, to me that switch is sacred...hehehe...something they tell you is there, but don't touch it, because it is sacred...the gods will get mad at you if you touch it..hehe ;-)

Regards

Old 04-30-2007, 01:51 AM
whattheheli

ORIGINAL: Foxito

SchoooBaka,

Didn't you read what I said before to the guy that was asking about the idle switch?

That's what I told him, be CAREFUL with that switch, how you dare to tell me? I guess someone is out of synch here.....hehe. ;-)

Anyway, yeah that switch makes the idle throttle go at least a minimum of 40%, it is very clear in the manual.... so I wouldn't mess with that switch unless the heli woule be up there very high, and even in that case, I would not do it..... - I am not to the point yet of saying "I am a graduated pilot", and I can't say I can fly in the normal way.....I would not dare to toggle that switch...forget it! hahahahaha.

On my Walkera 22E a couple months ago, not knowing what the Hell that switch was for (they call it Mode "1" on the Walkera TX), the heli was on the ground and I flipped that switch and man I almost had a heart attack....hahahahaha..... The damn thing spun at maximum speed and of course it didn't take off because the pitch is negative, it tries to blow air up and push down, exactly what's needed for inverted flight when the heli is upside down....but I didn't know that crap....so here I go and flipped that switch and like I said, I had the scare of my life...hahahaha.... now I say it and makes me laugh, but believe me at that moment I didn't laugh.

I ain't gonna' touch that switch on the Axe CP, maybe when I get alot more advanced and the damn thing is up there 50-100' feet or more above the ground I might be tempted to flip that dreaded switch......but for the time being, to me that switch is sacred...hehehe...something they tell you is there, but don't touch it, because it is sacred...the gods will get mad at you if you touch it..hehe ;-)

Regards

what manual ???? the mx400 manual only gives you ideas of what to set your throttle and pitch curves becouse 1. not everyone will have the same radio system 2. they dont know how good of a pilot you are . if you are flying a RTF heli i would say that when you get into anything like an mx400 heli or above to forget anything about the settings or mechanics of they RTF heli they are useless from what i have found in my journey in RC Heli's the RTF heli's eather run on a pit and plt knob system or in the case of the blade cp its allready setup you have no control over the settings ! not to say they are JUNK but once you learn to fly them forget how to work on then and set them up becouse the info from say a walkera 22e dont mean squat with a heli like the mx400 ,trex,raptor ,
Old 05-01-2007, 10:04 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Most of you here are confusing this thread to be about the Axe heli. The MX400 pro doesn't come with a transmitter, so you have to set up the modes in your own transmitter. You can set up idle up modes to your liking when it comes to pitch and throttle. I run a governor on my ESC, so my headspeed is always constant at 2400 rpm. When I switch to idle up mode, the only thing that changes are the pitch curves, which go to + or - 10 degrees.

Jesse