Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Best Lipo for Axe CP

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Best Lipo for Axe CP

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:44 PM
jimweda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Lipo for Axe CP

I've looked around but haven't found anything really specific regarding what's the most power in a battery I can use on my stock Axe CP. Currently I'm using an "Impulse" lipo, 3 cell, 11.1v, 950mAh (25C) with a max continuous discharge rate of 23.7A, which is suggested by Helimax. (Not the brand, just the numbers) I was wondering if I can safely use anything with more power and/or flight time on the stock heli. I've only been into heli's for a few weeks, hovering great, and, knock on wood, no crashes yet, but I would like more flight time to practice. Currently I'm getting on average, 9 to 11 mins on the lipo as opposed to 5 mins on the stock batteries. Any help would be appreciated. My only real complaint about this heli so far is that its not a brushless system. One more thing, I know you can pretty much just go by lack of power before bringing the heli down with lipos, but has anyone used the Apogee or CMS lipo guard, I think that's what its called. It sets off an alarm on the heli when the pack gets low. I'm just wondering because I've come pretty close to going under 9.6v on mine and I don't want to worry about damaging my pack(s). I'd like to get a few more packs, but would like more time and power. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:44 AM
redvtr1000

Default RE: Best Lipo for Axe CP

I am not using lipos yet though soon hopefully. The thunderpower 1320's seem pretty popular and I have looked at em and fit in heli, looks good to me. I think from what I have read you probably want to time your flights and stick to the numbers on the safe side. If you can get 11 minutes and are getting close to the danger range on voltage stop at say 9 1/2 minutes just to be sure.

If you start going much more than that on one battery you probably are going to run into motor problems from the heat. Mine can get warm in a hover at 5 minutes on the stock battery and if I run two stockers in a row without much of a break its hot after the second. I wouldn't dare do three without a cool down.

da

DA
Old 08-03-2007, 10:02 AM
jimweda

ORIGINAL: redvtr1000

I am not using lipos yet though soon hopefully. The thunderpower 1320's seem pretty popular and I have looked at em and fit in heli, looks good to me. I think from what I have read you probably want to time your flights and stick to the numbers on the safe side. If you can get 11 minutes and are getting close to the danger range on voltage stop at say 9 1/2 minutes just to be sure.

If you start going much more than that on one battery you probably are going to run into motor problems from the heat. Mine can get warm in a hover at 5 minutes on the stock battery and if I run two stockers in a row without much of a break its hot after the second. I wouldn't dare do three without a cool down.

da

DA
You're right about the flight time with these motors, and I do agree that much more than that will probably lessen the life of the stock motors. I wish they made a brushless motor version of the Axe CP. As I stated before I do get from 9 to 11 mins of flight time so I guess I shouldn't be too greedy. The impulse battery seem to be pretty good, but I did, just last night get a couple Thunder Power 1320's to test these out. The IMPULSE lipo's fit very snug laying flat which I do like. No movement of the battery during flight. The only concern is if they ever swell, even a little, it may be a little difficult to remove it. The TP batts need to sit sideways and I'll need to add something to make a snug fit.

One thing I always do, even with the stock batteries is that I ALWAYS rest the heli at least as long as I've had it up in the air to cool the motors and hopefully extend the life of them as well. I'm going to do some research and see what I can find out about swapping these motors out, tail and main when these eventually go bad. I'm sure I'll have to swap out the speed controller as well, but I'd like to get better, more reliable motors, and preferably brushless with good power.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:16 AM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

The TP 1320's are what I use. I've managed to cram a 1500 8C Kokam battery in once, but it was very heavy and the motor was getting quite warm. The canopy wouldn't fit over the battery and you didn't get much more flight time because it just used more power to get it in the air.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Copter33

I was just wondering about exactly what TP 1320 11.1v you guys are using, namely the model number or is it a 2 or 3 cell battery. If so what is a decent/reputable (preferably the cheapest as well) website i could order from. See I live in a smaller town in North Carolina with only one decent hobby store around. And considering the franchiser is on vacation I was hoping to find an Axe Cp compatible website that i seem to not be able to find on my own. I simply cant stand using my less then five minute NiMH stock batter, I need something better.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:18 PM
Heliko

[link=http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=1821]These packs[/link] work great in the Axe and there roughly half the price of the TP1320's. They also plug right into an Equinox balancer.

The only thing I know of that you can do about the motor temps is [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=5999458]this[/link] mod for the main motor. They'll wear out eventually no matter what you do to prevent it so I say "Just fly it!!!".
Old 08-07-2007, 09:08 AM
jimweda

ORIGINAL: Copter33

I was just wondering about exactly what TP 1320 11.1v you guys are using, namely the model number or is it a 2 or 3 cell battery. If so what is a decent/reputable (preferably the cheapest as well) website i could order from. See I live in a smaller town in North Carolina with only one decent hobby store around. And considering the franchiser is on vacation I was hoping to find an Axe Cp compatible website that i seem to not be able to find on my own. I simply cant stand using my less then five minute NiMH stock batter, I need something better.
Hey Copter33,
Well, basically if you type in Thunder Power 11.1v, 1320 Lipo Battery you should get a slew of places you can buy your batteries from if you choose to go with Thunder Power. I've only tried these and Impulse and they are both great. I like the TP's because they are shorter than Impulse. They are 3 cell. I prefer going to my local hobby store because of the service, ability to ask questions and if there are any problems, its just a quick drive to get an exchange or fixed. Just my personal preference. Just browse the forums and look for places that others shop online for all of their items. The only gripe I have with the Axe CP are the cost of parts. Some say that its not that much different, but I've seen main blades go for $21 and the Blade CP has them for $10. I also don't get why the main motor is $16 and the tail motor is $27. Although I love the way the Axe fly's, if I would have known about the Blade and replacement parts before getting into heli's, I would have gone with the Balde.

The stock batteries are okay for a quick hover, but not much more. I get about 12 minutes of safe flight with my TP batteries and they seem to have a bit more power. I still keep the stock ones and use them, but only for hovering around. I'm not sure if there really is much difference between brands of batteries since I've heard many talking about different ones working great. I guess the main concern is to make sure they fit nicely, are not too heavy and meet your budget. Good luck in your search and happy flying.