Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Two issues with my Axe

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Two issues with my Axe

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 02:26 PM
MMatheny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two issues with my Axe

First, as I have stated, my gyro gain came from the factory turned all the way up - I would like to have some adjustment to play with!

Secondly, this weekend I was hovering and set the heli down, and all of a sudden the blades came up to probably 1/2 speed! I checked to see if I had hit the idle up switch, and it was off - flipping it on did seem to pick up a little bit of speed, but turning it off had no effect, turned the TX off and back on, nothing - the heli just sat there running at a high speed! I had the choice of just waiting until the battery died, or motor burned out, or who knows what. I finally applied some roll to have the blades hit the ground so I could go over and unplug the battery (of course, seems I also now have a small hiccup in the main gear - not bad enough to change out, but I'm getting a spare for when that time comes)

It did not recur again. Should I email HeliMax about these 2 issues? Has anyone else had their Axe go on autopilot? Thank goodness it was on the ground - who knows where it might have ended up!! Also, where is your gain set? (CW is up,CCW is down)
Old 10-01-2007, 02:41 PM
MMatheny

Default RE: Two issues with my Axe

I just fired off an email to HeliMax to see what they say. Will inform.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:16 PM
strat1960s

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6398008/tm.htm

You should read my post.

End result was sending in my axe and getting a new one.

If you have attached/modified anything beyond original or stock, I would recommend you return it to stock. My new heli ships anyday now and I've been told that my new heli will have the BP910 Lipo, C12 ESC,and GY240 gyro installed for me. Then I was told that I'd have to install all the items myself. Then they were not sure what all to send me. Their invoice shows the axe, lipo and C12. No mention of the gyro.
So, if you do end up sending it in, either strip it down to stock or be very speciffic with everything that you have added or modified and be sure you get every nut, bolt, ultra deans connector and gyro back.

Ted
Old 10-01-2007, 07:09 PM
MMatheny

Yeah, but I wasn't anywhere near metal!!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:01 PM
strat1960s

I keep hearing about being near metal, but to be completely honest I really don't believe that had anything to do with my accident. I've been flying in the hangar, right next to my SnapOn tool box for the last couple of months. And since I have not had any problems in the past, I can't see how it would all of a sudden decide to casue my heli to flip-out. I've even let the gyros arm on the back of our all metal mobile maintenance truck. No glitches then.......
I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm saying I'm leaning towards the reciever or 3-in-1 until convinced otherwise.

Ted
Old 10-02-2007, 08:38 AM
MMatheny

Well, still waiting to hear something from HeliMax - you guys talk about what great customer service they provide, but I sent in a question around a month ago, never heard a peep! What's it take to get a response??

Sorry, to be clear, the other message was about another issue (stripped frame screws) - not this current issue - hope someone contacts me soon, if not I guess I'll call.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 AM
123Splat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: strat1960s

I keep hearing about being near metal, but to be completely honest I really don't believe that had anything to do with my accident. I've been flying in the hangar, right next to my SnapOn tool box for the last couple of months. And since I have not had any problems in the past, I can't see how it would all of a sudden decide to casue my heli to flip-out. I've even let the gyros arm on the back of our all metal mobile maintenance truck. No glitches then.......
I'm not saying it's not possible. I'm saying I'm leaning towards the reciever or 3-in-1 until convinced otherwise.

Ted
Yeah, being around metal shouldn't cause that kinda 'glitch.' Metal bldg may cause absorbtion or reflection of xmitr signal, but that would more than likely shut the bird down unless there is another xmitr on the same freq in the area (unlikely the metal would have anything to contribute to that situation).

RFI (RF noise from a strong source, like air control radar or radio present at an airstrip) would be a likely cause.

But, for MMatheny, I still think that it might be time for a new 3-in-1, or to go seperates.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, RF is an issue for me. Whenever I'm up at my aunts house, which is located about 1/2 mile from there, I always have problems with my Axe, but also with every other piece of radio controll equipment I have. But when I'm down here at my house, no problems exist.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 AM
MMatheny

But, for MMatheny, I still think that it might be time for a new 3-in-1, or to go seperates.
I'd love to, but I think my money might be better spent waiting until I can get a 400 class heli with BL and separates. Although, I really would like to have a HH gyro!!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:59 AM
123Splat

Yeah, you'll probablly be much better off with the 400.
They say that the 400 are soooo much easier to get used to, wish I could go that way too (she who must be obeyed says that the one i've got is too expensive. no way she'll buy off on mew getting another,,, unless she gets more jewelry.....)

Spalt
Old 10-02-2007, 02:34 PM
dreimer

I had an issue with some sort of interference...not sure if it can be called RF. I live near high power transmission lines, and it completely screwed with the TX....heli went straight down, and then flopped like a nitro waiting to be turned off. That crash cost me a swash, and both blade grips.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
bio_red

Hey! she that I must obey says the same thing. Only problem is that she demands a very high exchange rate.... 500$ worth of R/C stuff = 1000$ in jewelry etc....
Old 10-02-2007, 02:51 PM
MMatheny

Yeah - my exchange rate involves cross stitch stuff - HOWEVER - if I pressed it, it would take a year of RC upgrades to catch up (however, I am smart enough to not press it!)
Old 10-03-2007, 08:51 AM
MMatheny

Well, shiver me timbers! Just got a reply from HeliMax:

"Hello, Thanks for your email.

This is an issue that we agree is not good. Obviously this is a defective helicopter and we would like to help you in repairing or replacing this.

If you send it in with a copy of your receipt, or if you are a Tower customer your cust.# and invoice # which it was purchased under, and a letter explaining what is going on to,
Hobby Services
3002 N. Apollo Dr.
Suite 1
Champaign, IL 61822"

Yahoo!! However, now lip is pouty - what am I going to do for the next 2 weeks????? I guess I could build up my new battery packs, do some simming, mope around.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 AM
[]TEX[]

I doubt the new Axe you get will be any better. Not to make things worse, it has a lot of issues. Maybe when you get the new one, sell it on ebay and get a T-Rex or something. You will enjoy that a lot more.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:01 AM
123Splat

Get an R/C Tank! Lots of fun, don't cost anywhere near as much to repair as the Heli!
And, if you think that these chopper jockies are nuts, you really need to check out the Tank forum.

Splat

P.S. congrats on the impending repair.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 AM
MMatheny

I'm surprised they didn't just send me a 3n1 for replacement. Oh well, if the DO replace it will get new tail motor!! And new main gear (since my current one has a small hickey after I tipped it over to stop the out of control blade rotation!)

They said to leave my plastic blades on - they would swap them out if they replaced the heli. But it also has my super strong knitting needle tail boom!! Oh well, $4 for another pair!!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:31 AM
strat1960s

Mike,

The time without my lil buddy has been hard. I go into work with no real purpose in life. I go home with no desire to look up mods and upgrades. I've found it hard to even get out of bed in the morning. Things are looking up for me though, my "new" lil buddy shipped yesterday. I expect my new reason for living to arrive later this week or early next week.
I just hope they sent me an ESC, gyro, LiPo and all the connectors to replace the ones I sent to them with my "old" lil buddy.

The whole process shouldn't take much more than two weeks.
Ted
Old 10-03-2007, 01:56 PM
MMatheny

Ted,
How'd you send it in - USPS Priority insured/delivery confirmation, or some other carrier?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:51 PM
strat1960s

Mike,

I sent it through FedEx. I insured it for $400. The whole shipping bill came to about $32. I Shipped it on a Sat and it arrived on Wed.

Ted
Old 10-03-2007, 03:03 PM
MMatheny

That's not very fast delivery! I ship things USPS Priority and they will usually get there within 2 working days! How do they ship it back? \
$400 - is that because of the gyro/esc additions??
Old 10-03-2007, 03:29 PM
dreimer

Mike,

I just shipped mine using UPS, and it cost me $16. I also noted in a note in the box, that I had plastic blades, CNC swash, and blade grips that I want back. If they give me a new heli, they will take those parts off, and send them back. They also said that I would get my rebate processed at the same time, and I included that form in the box.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:51 PM
MMatheny

Well, I already sent in my rebate - called the other day and they didn't seem to have it on file, but I forgot when I sent it in - need to check at home. I wonder if I tell them I have a replacement tailboom if they will also swap that out?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:17 PM
MMatheny

Well, sent my baby off today at lunch - I'm already having withdrawals!!! Guess it'll give me some time on the sim, but I hate the sim because it is so hard to see the heli orientation - if I manually zoom in so I see the heli clearly, I lose sight of the ground - if I select auto zoom keeping ground in sight, it is so little I can't see it! (19" screen) - wish I had a 50" TV with PC in to fly it on!!
Old 10-04-2007, 03:11 PM
strat1960s

Mike,

Yes, I insured it for 400, because of the gyro, esc, lipo and value of the heli came out to a little less than 400. If I tried to get the heli there any quick it was going to cost me clost to 60. I could wait an extra day or two for that much money.

How much was it through UPS?
I found out today that it's cheaper when you have them ship to a business address. It also keeps the Mrs from getting curious.

Ted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.