Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Charging A Electrifly LIPo Battery

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Charging A Electrifly LIPo Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 AM
slotdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging A Electrifly LIPo Battery

First I would like to thank all for the replies on my AXE CP drifting left,been windy in Las Vegas last couple of days so couldn't fly. I bought the ElectriFly Lipo Battery 11.1 v 910 mAh and the
ElectriFly Poly Charge LIPo Charger. It has 3 adjustment to charge at 250, 500, and 1000 mA
What level should I usr with this battery so not to ruin battery or charger
Old 10-04-2007, 09:07 AM
raz54

Default RE: Charging A Electrifly LIPo Battery

You go with the closest setting to the battery so in this case the 1000 mAh setting. Does that charger balance the packs? If not you better get a balancer to go between the bat and charger or they won't last long.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:36 AM
strat1960s

slotdr

If you go with the highest setting, you had better keep a close eye on the packs so that you don't boil them. I've had my charger on 500. And yes, you need a balancer before you try charging.

I went with the electrifly equinox. It doesn't cost much and it does a good job of balancing the cells. If you go with the equinox, you may need to modify the connectors that go from the charger to the balancer. I went ahead and wired in a 110 AC to 12.6 DC converter to the charger as well.

Ted
Old 10-04-2007, 12:02 PM
slotdr

Thanks, Another 30 bucks for a electrifly equinox, now I have a Power supply then connect the balancer then the battery is that correct??, I have the connector GPMM 3127 so I can hook it to the Heli. If anyone has this scenario what connectors do I need to accomplish this
Old 10-04-2007, 06:37 PM
osterizer

OK, slow down a minute-- does your PolyCharge have the same red JST charge connector that mine did? Does the battery have a balance connector? If the answer is yes on both, then you'll have to make some wiring changes to the PC to connect the Equinox, either by putting female banana connectors on it or by splicing the Equinox directly to it (OTOH, if you got the PolyCharge 4, it already has banana jacks).

If your battery does not have a balancing plug (a second plug in addition to the one that connects to the heli that is white and has four conductors) then don't waste your money on the Equinox-- it won't connect.

If you do have a balancing connector on the battery and you do get the Equinox, then you'll connect the PolyCharge to the power supply with the alligator clips, connect the Equinox to the PolyCharge, and then plug the battery to the Equinox using the 3S pigtail that came with the Equinox.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:46 AM
slotdr

Thanks for your replys, this is a picture of my Battery & Charger what else will I need
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58077.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	776847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85768.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	776848  
Old 10-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple, you will need an equinox. It can balance more than just your axe cp lipo. It can balance up to five cells. It already comes with the correct adapter for the two and three cell lipo packs from electrifly.

One thing though, you will have to put female bananna jacks onto the charger. I have made a jack with a mating jst plug for my charger, so that I don't have to use another connector for jst packs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59146.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	776895  
Old 10-05-2007, 10:33 AM
slotdr

OK I think I understand, is this where I put the the female banana,I circled it and if so the wire gage is different
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2007, 10:51 AM
strat1960s

I just grabbed a couple of water proof automotive plugs. Not the bullet or crimp on type. Actual plugs. I then used a different style of plug for connecting the 110 AC to 12 DC converter to the lipo charger. This way I won't ever get them mixed up . It works out great and I can still connect my lipo charger to a car battery if I want. The whole thing may cost as much as 5 bucks for the connectors and another 15 to 20 for the converter.
I'll see if I can snap off some pictures this weekend and attach them.

Ted
Old 10-05-2007, 12:46 PM
slotdr

Thanks, the pictures would be great and the name of the converter and where to get one.