Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
 OK - I'm looking to upgrade .. what should I get? >

OK - I'm looking to upgrade .. what should I get?

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

OK - I'm looking to upgrade .. what should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK - I'm looking to upgrade .. what should I get?

I want a 400-450 class system - I already have the TX for it. I want the most available parts. I want something solid. I'm thinking a T-Rex class - are there any clones out there that are better/stronger/better control, etc. than the T-Rex?

I know I'm going to get a s-load of opinions, but that is what I want!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:00 PM

Default RE: OK - I'm looking to upgrade .. what should I get?

I just got a TREX 450 so that's my vote, a friend on mine got a Black Hawk 450 and I think its a clone.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:28 PM

Mike,

I have the RC Tek 450 Sky Shark. I'll be setting it up tomorrow. It looks a 100 times more planned out than our AXE CPs. It's a combination of CF, FG and aluminum. I got a B-stock model with the upgraded motor for 300 and change.

Ted
Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 PM
My Feedback: (12)

the MX400 or 450 isn't bad...

I really do like my t-rex though, there's all kinds of options (mild to wild) out of the box, plenty of parts available... I believe parts are cheaper than the helimax stuff.

I'm not sure on the clones.. but I am using a lot of t-rex parts on my MX400, in fact, the tail assy, the mainshaft... I'm thinking about throwing an entire t-rex head on it tonight too...
Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 PM

Check out the reviews on this HDX 450SE V3!!! Man, what a rush!! I think I have found my new little buddy!!

[link]http://www.helidirect.com/product_reviews.php?products_id=1171&op=list[/link]
Old 11-15-2007, 04:36 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts

Trex or a mini titan, personally I prefer the mini titan but the trex 450 is just as good.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 PM

My vote is HDX450!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:05 PM

Forget that, GO BIGGER! Grampa aways said "BIGGER IS BETTER!" Have you looked at any 500 sized heli's, my buddy got a Mikado LOGO 500, and that's one BIG BIRD! With a 45" rotor span, 40 inches from nose to tail, like a foot & a half tall, and tips the scales somewhere around 6.5-7 lbs. I think he said he payed around $450 bucks for the kit, of course he has all the stuff you need to make it go, BL motor, 6 cell Lipo, radio, etc. The only thing extra he had to get was those fancy herringbone pinions, in different pitches to try.
After I master 3D with my AXE CP-BDT, and can fly with confidence like Alan Szabo, then I'll take the next step to a bigger bird, that should be in a year or so.

Rick
Old 11-15-2007, 07:48 PM

I've got a Hirobo Shuttle Challenge for when I'm ready to go that big!!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:37 PM

I have a Shuttle ZX from many years ago, and it needs fixed before I sell it for money towards a 450 sized electric. The Nitro is too messy, complicated, and I can't fly it inside!
Old 11-22-2007, 12:45 AM
My Feedback: (11)

look up copter x it's a trex clone 100% parts compatable from what i understand and the carbon se v2 version is less than 200.00 if you prefer trex style bird
Old 11-22-2007, 11:02 AM

I fly a T-Rex 450SE V2 and vote for it twice if I could. Since I stopped flying my Axe CP last July and started flying my Rex my flying skills have rapidly advanced. The Rex is inheriantly more stable due to its larger rotor diameter and higher headspeed. The Rex is very predicatable and actually goes where I want it to go and stays where I want it to stay. Instead of fighting to keep that squirrley Axe under control I can now focus on where I want the heli to go and what move I want to do.

There are other good 450 kits out there like the HDX450, CopterX, Diablo and Sky Shark but I went with the T-Rex due to local parts support from my LHS. I know many of the "clones" can use T-Rex parts but why not just get the Rex in the first place. It was a no brainer for me since my LHS was able to beat any advertised online price for my Rex setup. ReadyHeli had the 450 V2 combo for $399 plus shipping, you had to add it to your cart to get the price, but they are out of stock right now. I have also heard great things about the Mini Titan but have never personally seen one fly.

Good luck with your decision! Once you start flying your new kit, you will kick yourself for not getting it sooner.