Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

AXE 400

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:53 PM
mclovin55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AXE 400

this week i ordered an axe 400 rx-ready and was wondering what if anybody had an comments on it. like flight caracteristics and is set-up going to be hard (i have a futaba fasst 7 ch.) ect. i have already mastered hovers and basic aerobatics w/ my bladecp. so please comment.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:20 AM
dragus359
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: AXE 400

I own an axe 400 rtr. I haven't had to set up the controller myself, so I probably couldn't help u more than if you just read the manual. The Axe is a great stable flier. The helicopter is smooth in flight and the parts are durable. Where it falls short is aerobatics. The gyro is great for forward flight in warm weather, but its performance begins to decline as it gets colder (mostly noticeable in below freezing temperatures). I've never tried it, but I hear that the gyro doesn't hold as well in backward flight. Other than that, it works really well. Another issue is the left piro rate; it's much too slow for my taste. That relates back to the gyro too. I suppose you could get larger tail rotor blades, and that would probably help. I've been meaning to do that, but I've just not gotten to it yet. I have a 25C battery, but I haven't flown it yet. I've noticed that batteries 20C and lower are just too underpowered to fuel precise aerobatic maneuvers. It's not that the heli can't fly inverted or do tic tocs,etc; I would just not attempt them at a low altitude. After I fly my 25c batt, I'll be able to determine if I need a more powerful motor or not. Other than those things mentioned, the Axe 400 is a great machine, and I'm sure you'll have a great experience with it. The parts are also very interchangeable with T-Rex and T-Rex clone parts. For example, I got an all metal rotor head for under $30 from hobby king. Anyway, good luck with setting up the radio. I hear that referring to the rtr manual might help if you can't find what you're looking for in the rxr manual.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:21 AM
primo400

Were you able to use the same HK450 head, the AXE400 has a different ball link configuration on the swashplate, I was thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:41 AM
dragus359

Yes, I am currently using the HK450 head. Works great. I didn't try to make their swashplate fit, because it didn't look like it was a good match for the frame, so I didn't even bother. I am still using the stock swash. I did notice though that the Exceed Genesis 450 V2 from XHeli has a replacement cnc swashplate that looks like it would fit the Axe 400. I haven't personally tried it, so I can't really comment on it, but it's only 13 bucks, so it might be worth a try. Here's the link

Hope this helps!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:37 AM
primo400

I am trying to find out who is the manufacturer of the AXE400, we know is not helimax. The head on the AXE400 resembles the one for the Razor450 by Daynam, the Razor swashplate is similar to the AXE400. There are better helis out there but I still like the AXE400.

Thanks,
Old 02-15-2010, 11:39 AM
dragus359

Well, they're all clones of the T-Rex.  I assumed that Helimax manufactured the Axe400, but I have no idea who actually manufactures what.  I just buy them and fly them.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:55 AM
primo400

The reason it would be interesting to know who is the manufacturer is that it may be possible to get the correct upgraded parts at a good price. And tower hobbies is not offering upgrade parts anyway.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:01 PM
dragus359

Ah, good point.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 PM
primo400

I Just ordered a couple of swash plates for the E-Razor 450 from XHeli, they were $14ea, they look similar to the AXE400, but the main reason I order them was for my new Dragonus II from Hobby People, they have a sale on the kit for $40. So far I am very impress with the heli.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:44 PM
dragus359

So, I just want to take back what I said about the HM4000 gyro that comes with the AXE 400. Basically, it's awful. Don't bother with it. Right off the bat, get yourself a trustworthy gyro. I'm using the SKY500 from Skyartec, and I've had that gyro for a few years now, so I know it works. The HM4000 pretty much switches off on left piros. The left piro rate is slow from factory set up, because that slows down the rate at which the gyro quits monitoring the tail. When you speed up the piro rate, it becomes evident that left turns mean absolutely nothing to that gyro. It's a design flaw in the component. I had support send me another one, and shockingly enough, same problem. That's when I switched to my skyartec gyro.

Other than that awful gyro problem, the helicopter is great. I'm just disappointed that they would skimp on something as crucial as a gyro.

Anyway, keep on flying guys :-)
Old 02-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Solman

Lipo batteries do not like the cold at all. If you are flying in cold temperatures, keep your battery inside and warm as long as possible before flying. Also expect a shorter time when flying in cold temperatures.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 PM
babblin5

Well, I finally got up the nerve to hover my Axe 400! I didn't intend to... I was just going to check the trim, and the next thing I know, I'm a foot in the air, then two, and it's holding a hover and heading very nicely, so I kept at it till the battery ran down. Seems like the gyro is holding OK (read the PDF on adjusting the pot under the label and adjusted accordingly). It was great fun, and I'm glad I finally got a chance to give it a whirl (no pun intended). The practice flying square circuits with nose in, left, right, and tail in with the Mcx and mSR seem to be paying off in confidence.

That, and the Axe in Low Rate is really very newbie friendly. I tried a HBK3 and a Blade 400, and I have to say this one seems just right for my skill level.

Now, if I could just get the parts in for my SR and get that up and running again, I can continue to segue my way to some forward flight!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Does the 400 AXE come with a Futaba 2.4 reciever? Thanks Rich
Old 04-27-2010, 05:30 PM
dragus359

The RTF does. It comes with the Futaba 6EX.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks I have the Futaba 6 ch 2.4. Rich
Old 04-27-2010, 07:04 PM
primo400

Thet are on sale now!!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 AM
KrazyKoots

Any word on wether or not those Swash's fit or not, I think this bird needs some bling bling!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:36 PM
OQUINN
My Feedback: (4)

So I totaled mine today, the whole head unit exploded any body got any recommendations for a CNC head and tail unit, sorry I'm a newbie so I don't know the names
Old 10-02-2010, 08:45 PM
dragus359

ORIGINAL: OQUINN

So I totaled mine today, the whole head unit exploded any body got any recommendations for a CNC head and tail unit, sorry I'm a newbie so I don't know the names
Weird, I totaled mine earlier this week...must be a bad week for Axe 400's. I got too ballsy with my less-than-adequate 3D skills haha. Mine's pretty mangled :-(. Here's the head that I current'y have on my used-to-be bird: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9790. You'll be happy to know, that despite a full speed slamming into the ground (with a bounce), this rotor head stayed intact (except for the flybar, which tried to wrap itself around the head. Silly flybar.

PS: You'll need either the original Axe 400 swashplate or I think the metal swashplate for the E-Razor (or Genesis...can't remember) from Xheli.com. I've never tried the metal swash from the Xheli helicopter, but it looks like it'll fit...you could always get both, and if the one from Xheli doesn't fit, then just put in the stock swash from helimax, cuz that's what I'm still using. Also, be sure to adjust the linkages to the washout arms (on the head assembly), because upon installation, they won't be set right. Both arms need to be level when your throttle is at 0%.

PS #2: As for a good tail assembly, you can check Xheli.com They have a head and tail combo (i'm pretty sure). I don't have any experience with that particualr product, so I can't say if that'll work or not. The head looks exactly like the one I got from HobbyKing. Since I crashed face-first, my tail is fine, so I don't really need one.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:47 PM
primo400

sorry to hear, they are on sale again at TH,
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 PM
OQUINN
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: dragus359

ORIGINAL: OQUINN

Weird, I totaled mine earlier this week...must be a bad week for Axe 400's. I got too ballsy with my less-than-adequate 3D skills haha. Mine's pretty mangled :-(. Here's the head that I current'y have on my used-to-be bird: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9790. You'll be happy to know, that despite a full speed slamming into the ground (with a bounce), this rotor head stayed intact (except for the flybar, which tried to wrap itself around the head. Silly flybar.

PS: You'll need either the original Axe 400 swashplate or I think the metal swashplate for the E-Razor (or Genesis...can't remember) from Xheli.com. I've never tried the metal swash from the Xheli helicopter, but it looks like it'll fit...you could always get both, and if the one from Xheli doesn't fit, then just put in the stock swash from helimax, cuz that's what I'm still using. Also, be sure to adjust the linkages to the washout arms (on the head assembly), because upon installation, they won't be set right. Both arms need to be level when your throttle is at 0%.

PS #2: As for a good tail assembly, you can check Xheli.com They have a head and tail combo (i'm pretty sure). I don't have any experience with that particualr product, so I can't say if that'll work or not. The head looks exactly like the one I got from HobbyKing. Since I crashed face-first, my tail is fine, so I don't really need one.
Well I'm going to need 2 new servos, a new tail boom, 2 new main rotors, a complete new head unit with links to the servo. A new tail linkage, 2 tail boom support shafts..... I'm debating on buying one of those 450 exi kits on xheli, I Saw a CF one with CBC head and tail unit prebuilt for 60. That's slightly cheaper then repairing the axe and I could prob just switch the electronics over and be good to go.( at least that's the plan) though I'm not sure if that will work as I said I'm a newbie and rebuilding all that looks costly and a pain. So maybe I will buy that kit change over the electronics and slowly piece back the axe within the next couple months
Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
dragus359

Oh wow.  My condolences.  You can also check out HobbyKing's models.  I can't really suggest much, because I woudn't know which t-rex clone out there is the best.  I considered getting a clone, but I think in the end that I'll probably end up rebuilding my Axe.  I still have my old modded Axe CP in the meanwhile though
Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 AM
billyt

it is manufactured by ARC A chinese contractor