Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

Novus FP - Cant Hover

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

Novus FP - Cant Hover

Old 02-15-2010, 10:10 PM
jjmusicpro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novus FP - Cant Hover

Hey everyone, Im new here and had a quick question.

Ijust got a Novus FP - read the manual, put int he batteries etc. Ive been flying a Eflight cx2 for a while, and thought this one would be atleast easy to hover.
Right out of the box, i cant get this thing thing to hover right, its always pulling left, etc.
So i tried to trim it, didnt work, so i adjusted my linkage, and adjusted some more, but this thing is always pulling to the left, and someone times the tail motor just stops, and makes the thing spin lol.

Any ideas on this?

Old 02-15-2010, 10:22 PM
dragus359
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Novus FP - Cant Hover

I've never flown an FP, but it might be drifting because of the trust generated by the tail rotor.  If that's the issue, you can just bank right a little bit as you're taking off.  Helicopters with the tail rotor on the right lean right as they hover.  As for your tail motor just stopping, I don't know what's going on there.  I know that some motor driven tails won't turn on until enough collective has been applied, but I don't know if that's the case with the Novus.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:41 PM
jjmusicpro

So how do i adjust it?
Isee the + and - on the speed control, but there dosent seem to be any end points...

Maybe Ishould have got the Blade MSR
Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 AM
dragus359

If I understood your question properly, there is nothing to fix. As I
understand it, the entire helicopter drifts to the left. If just your tail drifts
you need to adjust your trims and maybe the gyro gain. Other than that if
your linkages a right, during takeoff, the heli will drift left if all you do is
raise the throttle. Takeoff for a fp or cp heli, at a minimum, requires the
pilot to increase the throttle while countering the thrust generated by
the tail rotor by gently banking right. If all you're dealing with is a subtle
drift to the left, I don't think that switching helis will help. Now if the
helicopter actively seeks to bank left, then it's probably something else. I wouldn't know what that would be, since you've already checked linkages and trims.

Well, good luck. I hope things work out alright.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:38 AM
jjmusicpro

how do i adjust my gyro on this? i see the + - on the speed control is that it?
Right out of the box this wouldnt fly lol

Sometimes when it will get in the air, it will do a wide circular motion, and try to counter act it, but i just wont work.
Itried to fix my linkages, and still, always pitching to the left.

Ithink Imight just take it back and ask for a different one, i like the model, but i think something is wrong with this.

It should be able to hover out of the box, or be close to hover you know....
Old 02-16-2010, 12:56 AM
dragus359

Wide circular motion? Well, if you can return it, then do that, and see if you experience the same problem with a brand new one. I don't own this helicopter, but from what I know about similarly designed helis, I do believe you are correct; the (+)/(-) are probably the gyro trim (or gain, I can't remember if those boards have gain or not... - doesn't matter, at this point I would tinker with it, because it's not like things can get much worse).
Old 02-16-2010, 01:16 AM
jjmusicpro

Yeah if it gets in the air, the thing is just plaint out of control lol
I am going to take it back tomorrow, and exchang it...
Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 AM
dragus359

I hope things work out better for you this time around!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 PM
j.newton007

JJ, I have the same heli you do and am having the same problem. I've been flying it in a big open warehouse and it is impossible to keep in control. This is my first heli and I really don't know what to expect. My uncle has the CX and it was so stable that I just had to have one. But I had to go one step further and now I can't enjoy it like I want to. I too am thinking of sending it back. I've beat it up pretty good trying to learn how to fly. You think they'll still take it back? I got it from Tower. Let me know if you have any luck with the exchange.

Thanks,

JJN
Old 03-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Spiccoli

I also just recently got this one. Very hard to fly this little bird, especially compared to my friend's MSR. It leaves me wishing I had gotten the MSR. I have learned one thing though. Make sure your battery is all the way forward. The back side of your battery should go all the way up under the canopy. When I did that mine got much better. It is still hard to fly though, but that's the nature of the beast. Most small FP helis are a handful to fly. Only the MSR is different because they engineered it to be hover stable. From what I've heard these helis are better to train on because they are so difficult. Once you can fly one of these things efficiently you're pretty much ready for anything.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Ragnarok

Check out -

Radd's School of Rotary Flight.

Huge help. My first model is a Novus FP N125. It is work, but when you earn it, Ihear that the rewards are that much sweeter. Being a better and more diciplined pilot makes for less crashing and saving you money and downtime.

How much fun is it to have to wait for parts???
Old 06-29-2010, 01:59 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The FP does hover, and hover fairly well. But it not a stable hands off kind of hover, more like the high performance CP types of heli's.
anyway with that stated, I must have failed 300 times or more trying to get my Novus FP to hover. Now I can hover it quite well and it actually feels stable. But it is always moving around, ready to flit off in a flash if you let it. It is a higher performance kind of heli, so it takes a while until your hand and eye coordination gets ahead of the heli.
First the sticks are very sensitive, it would be nice to have dual rates and exponential on them, but we don't. So you need to learn to be easy on the stick movements, just a little bit will do. also on take offs, one had to, sort of, blip the right cyclic a bit to get it off without leaning over to the left. Once it lifts off it is usually stable as it gets out of the ground effect down close to the floor.

here is one video of me doing some hovering practice, yeah they turned the lights off right before I started this practice run. There is a shiny spot on the floor at the outer circle painted on the floor where the light is reflecting up and that is where I put the FP at to start out with, you'll see where it can quickly get away from you when mine flits off to the left rear on me.:
http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/g...muchbetter.flv

A more experienced heli flyer asked if he could try it out a little, so i let him, and after about 30 seconds getting used to the sensitive sticks and the twitchyness, he had it going in circles, and figure eights and banking over, etc. so it appears to fly really well, if you have experience flying helis.