Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

coax up-grades

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coax up-grades

Hi Guys,
It’s been a while since I posted and am looking for some opinions about up-grading a AXE-EZ, and a MEGATECH HORSEFLY. Both Heli’s bought about January 2008.
I bought the HORSE FLY first. It is big for a coax, just about the same size as the ESKY BIG LAMA. It did not fly well because of poor electronics. The receiver would drop out ever so often. I called the company and got nice people but they would not do much. Some day I’ll go into my history with this company beginning when I was a kid in Brooklyn over 60 years ago. They were call America’s Hobby Center then and advertised in all the model magazines.
Being frustrated and still not a very good flier, I bought a AXE EZ and learned to fly it. (For you young guys the reflexes and other things on a 72 year old take a while to connect.) I had fun flying the EZ indoors and became good flying it out doors when things were calm. I then started to break parts due to the fragility of some of the plastic. I up graded to all aluminum parts and found I made a slug which barely got off the ground. I then bought two ‘ Xtreme Production Stock 180' motors from RCHOVER and the EZ flew fine outdoors. Last week one of the 180’s failed. No problem ‘Xtreme Production’ has a upgraded motor called the SE 180 and it will drop right in. So I bought two. Then I came across an up grade for a ESKY BIG LAMA which changes the motors to brushless. A light bulb went off in this old mans brain. A placed called 2dogrc.com advertises a 180 brushless for about $15.50 shipped. Sounds good.
Now while thinking, the most dangerous action of an adult, I contacted a guy here in the Rochester, NY area, (handle copperclad has posted here) who built a all metal coax 30 size with a variable pitch upper rotor. He told me how to control a Spektrum AR6110e with my JR XP9303 and to Electrifly c-12 ESC’s. This sounds like a way to get better control and better fly-ability out of two models, one a real dog. All things appear to fit well.
Anybody have any experience in this line of thought or just aditional thoughts.
Thanks in advance,
Paul