Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Hirobo Support Forum
Reload this Page >

How far can I push it?

Community
Search
Notices
Hirobo Support Forum Greg Gomes of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your Hirobo questions here!

How far can I push it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:03 PM
nitrohog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far can I push it?

I'm finally catching onto flying helis. I took my training gear off last weekend and started forward flight with great success. I have been learning on my Blade CPP (cheaper to fix) and then applying what I have learned to the Hirobo ShuttleZ (a lot easier to fly). So my question is how far can I realistically push a ShuttleZ, after all it is 15 years old? I eventually want to get into 3D, but I know that I will need a better Gyro and a Govenor at least. I plan on working on fast forward flight and maybe even stall turns next weekend. Also it seems to be less authorative than the BCCP on cyclic controls, is there anything I can do to help this? I am able to make custom parts out of aluminum if someone is willing to lead me in the right direction. I am on a budget (aka college student) so be easy on me, I can't afford a new chopper for at least another year or until I land a good job.
Thanks, and thank you Hirobo for a wonderful weekend of flying my Shuttle.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Mrclueless

Default RE: How far can I push it?

You dont need a governor to start out doing 3D. Just set your idle up throttle curve to a set rpm, say 75-90 percent and just fly the collective.As far as authorative, how much expo do you have on elev. and ail. ? You can make it more responsive with expo and setting DR to 100%. Also you can upgrade your servos to some faster digital ones. I dont use digital or fast ones, as I use my shuttle for training my son to fly. The old mechanical gyro is good for learning, but it eats batteries. I use the Futaba GY240. It is adequate for a 30 size. Good luck. Oh BTW I would recamend putting the training gear back on to learn nose in hovering.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:56 PM
nitrohog

I don't have any expo or D/R on either the ailerons or elevator, I have 80% D/R on the rudder. I allready have digital servos in it along with a piezo gyro with great flight times on a battery, 8 tanks per charge. I was thinking about getting a GY401, but not for a bit. I have a Futaba 9chps TX so I have a few options on setup, any tips? Also thanks for the tip on nose in, I have allready been flying the CPP nose in and having a heck of a time mastering it. Thanks for the reply
Old 09-06-2007, 04:00 PM
mrc-hirobo

There are quite a few things you can do to a Shuttle without spending lots of $$$

1) Increase your servo outputs as far as you can go without causing any binding at the swashplate. If your pivot balls are at 8mm from center, go to 12.5 as an example.

2) Set up a stunt curve. This can be done a number of ways. Give me a call at 732 225 6144 ext 230 to discuss.

3) Run lighter paddles on the Flybar.

4) Get some FRP or Carbon Blades. Woodblades are not ideal for aerobatics

5) You might want to consider adding a BB or two here and there as well. I have done piro flips with a Shuttle Plus, basically like a Z but more recent, but would probably need to replace the bushings after some time.

But for basic loops rolls etc, the Z is more than capable to do that.

If you have any questions, give me a call, more than happy to help.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2007, 07:15 PM
nitrohog

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I'm not sure how far I will advance this weekend but I think that I will bring the chopper back to my place next week to play with the setup. I know that the heli has been upgraded with some ball bearings, but I'm not sure exactally where. I also added an aluminum swash plate, header tank, radius arm stay, and have a pair of Mavirck Patriot Carbon blades that I have yet to fly with. I am the second owner of this heli, but the first owner to fly it. The previous owner always bought the best of the best and then upgraded even more, so Im not exactally sure what has been done. Here is a pic of the first day with the training gear off.