Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Which servo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Volture
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which servo?

Mike:

What's the best value choice of the new Hitec servos for the tail of an Ultra Stick 120? No digitals wanted -- just a reasonably robust standard servo.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2004, 03:18 PM
MikeMayberry

Default RE: Which servo?

HS-635HB http://www.hitecrcd.com/Servos/hs635HB.htm
Old 02-22-2006, 01:05 PM
Volture

Default RE: Which servo?

Mike,

Now that I've got my US 120 ready to fly, I'm reading a lot of posts about HS635's failing due to lost teeth, and that they are now not recommended by Hitec for gas. Despite your earlier recommendation, has this servo really proved itself as suitable for 1.20 size planes? I bought these for the US 1.20, but am now concerned about using them.

I am curious as to what Karbonite really is. I suspect that it is some type of filled resin, either with glass fibers or synthethic fibers. Presumably the primary design goal was improved surface wear resistance over nylon, but it would now appear that such a composite is far more subject to vibration/shock loading with subsequent brittle failure, and does not have the ductility and toughness of nylon. What was the advertised 4x strength improvement over nylon based on? Did it consider shock loading?

I wish you guys would bring back the 605's. They were regarded as pretty bulletproof, and as I recall had thick gears as compared to the 635's.

A friend of mine just lost teeth on two 635's during one flight yesterday on his GP big stick with G-26. Fortunately, he was able to get it down in one piece. I think that many of us would feel more comfortable flying the 635's if they had nylon gearsets -- much better to have the gears go sloppy slowly than to shed teeth and fail suddenly. Has Hitec considered offering a nylon gear set to help solve the Karbonite failure issues?

Thanks.