Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

PCM

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 09:06 PM
Jackster00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM

Hi, Mike.

I'm assuming that my Hitec Flash 5SX is NOT PCM.

I know that with helecopters, PCM is important, but what about model planes? Is it worth the extra cash for a plane application? I haven't had any problems with my 5SX, but just wondering.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:15 PM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: PCM

The Flash5 is PPM (sometimes just called FM) not PCM.

There's no reason why you can't fly a heli with PPM, it's just that if you get hit by any brief bursts of interference you are more likely to notice and perhaps crash.

The big advantage of PCM (and the new generation of smart PPM receivers) is that they can detect and ignore those brief bursts of interference that would otherwise cause your servos to twitch wildly -- possibly causing a crash.

PCM (and the more expensive smart PPM receivers) also offer a failsafe facility that allows you to pre-program the position of all the servos in the event that the interference is so bad that the receiver gets no valid data from the transmitter. From a safety perspective this is a good thing since you can have your engine cut to idle rather than perhaps staying at a high throttle setting and allowing the helicopter (or plane) to travel quite a distance (perhaps towards spectators) before crashing.

If you want to enjoy the interference rejection and failsafe facilities that PCM offers then you could simply by one of the smart receivers I'm talking about. For around $80 you'd get all those benefits -- and that's lots cheaper than upgrading to PCM. It woud be rude to suggest a make or model here since they're not made by Hitec but you can PM me if you want more info.

However, if you're flying helis you might also want to strongly consider the advantages to be had from upgrading your gear to a more advaced set (perhaps like the Eclipse 7 or Optic 6, both of which also support PCM) that offers better mixing and helicopter-specific features than the Flash.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:08 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like XJ has provided all the answers.

I've been flying my gas powered Xcell for years now with Hitecs PPM/FM Supreme RX without issue
Old 03-26-2007, 11:46 AM
bmw330i

Thanks for this post and replies. I am learning to fly electric helicopters and have an Eclipse 7 Tx Electron 6 Micro Rx both are solid in the air but I didn't realize until now it even had this ability to program a fail-safe position, or other things discussed. VG2K (Very Good To Know).

Much appreciated. Now I just need to learn to more about all this....