Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Digital servo reboot problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 06:37 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital servo reboot problem

There was a thread in another forum concerning the reboot time of the software in the digital servos, It was reported that a surge of current draw would drop the supply voltage to cause the servo software to reboot. Since it takes more than one second to reboot it was suggested it might be a problem.
I made a quick and dirty test and concluded it was not a problem with my servo mix.
I was out flying this morning and upon checking the controls prior to the second flight I found that I did indeed have a problem. When I moved all controls simultaneously one of the digital servos would stop and not restart for about 1 sec. I observed this repeatedly.
Since I have been flying this aircraft all summer with no problems I decided it must not be something that will occur with my style of flying.
However it needs to be fixed.
Only one of the servos had this problem. Should I send it in for repair?
I plan to install a 6V battery to see if that fixes it but that will shorten my battery life and I prefer not to fly that way
Old 10-17-2004, 07:46 PM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Digital servo reboot problem

Going to 6V is one option -- the other is to make sure that you're using a good hi-capacity 4.8V pack and heavy-duty extensions.

I would not recommend using a 4-cell AA-sized NiMH pack if you're going to be using high-powered digital servos. NiMH cells already have a higher internal resistance than NiCd ones and this is aggrivated by the higher draw of the grunty digitals.

On my funfly I use 5925s on the tail but have fitted a 1050mAH NiMh 4-cell pack built from 2/3A sized cells which have a lower internal resistance than AA cells (even those with 2200mAH capacity.

I also throw this pack on the field-charger after three 10-minute flights. I was surprised at just how much juice those babys suck when you're doing 3D stuff and I certainly wouldn't want to push this pack much past 4 flights without a recharge.