Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hi Tec Servos

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 04:12 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Tec Servos

Seen Add in radio section under Servos, Buyer wanted to know if they were in box or plastic case.Does this mean that the plastic would be newer stock,Also are the Digital 5645 & 5945 OK out of the box to use,No programing Ect, Thanks Bob
Old 12-13-2004, 09:33 PM

Default RE: Hi Tec Servos

With at least the 945MG servo, not long ago they shipped in a cardboard box. I just bought some and they were in plastic cases. I got the particular servo based on recommendations from people who have used them a long time. Thing is, I had to send all 5 in for service due to jittering. Others I've talked to have experienced the same problem with this particular servo and are wondering if the specs changed on the "new" servos, which are shipping in plastic containers. It could be that people are experiencing problems and so are preferring one over the other. Just a guess though.

Dan
Old 12-14-2004, 02:12 AM
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plastic cases are of later production, the servos are the same.

aegis:
The jittering may be your radio system, static voltage or even some strange incompatibilty problem. Please start another thread with specifics, maybe we can narrow it down.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:12 AM

MGlavin - The servos are at Hitec right now for inspection. If they don't find anything I'll start a thread. Thanks for the offer to help.

Dan
Old 12-15-2004, 05:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I attempted to start a thread some time ago right on that topic, but it went unnoticed both by RCU members and Hitec. Looks this is gonna change now....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Newe...2386197/tm.htm

My problems have been consistent (both 925s and 945s) with the newer batch. If you got some of the older, carton-packaged servos, hold on to them, they are perfect!
Old 12-15-2004, 02:27 PM

hpergm - I will post something once I hear from Hitec. I was originally told they would be getting to the servos late last week but was told yesterday it would be today. Will be interesting to see what they say.

Dan
Old 12-15-2004, 05:52 PM

hpergm - I talked to Hitec today about the 945 servos I sent in. They said they replaced them. I asked what was wrong with the originals and the person I was speaking to said he couldn't see where it said what was wrong. 5 out of 5 brand new servos replaced but nothing shows what was wrong? Sounds strange to me ....

Dan
Old 12-16-2004, 02:36 PM

Aegis,

When I get to it, I will post some pics of the newer vs older PCBs of the servos. You will clearly see that some resistors are missing. Oh Well...

hpergm
Old 12-17-2004, 02:17 PM

Aegis,

Here are the pics of the newer VS older 9xx servo PCBs. You will notice some differences (outlined by the colored circles).

Maybe it is just a repackaging, maybe it is costcutting. Either way, OLDER WORKS BETTER (no jitter), at least at 6V, in my experience.

Lets see if the Hitec reps pick this thread up.

hpergm.

PS. Sorry about the quality, I was lucky to even get these with my digital camera at such close distance without a dedicated lens.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75134.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	203998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27805.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	203999  
Old 12-18-2004, 04:31 PM

hpergm - My replacement 945 servos arrived. They jitter worse than the first 5. I started a new post. I was the only one who responded to your original 945MG post so I'm not real hopeful that Hitec is going to respond to mine. These are the first Hitec servos I've ever bought. There's no way I'd sell them to someone else, so I'm afraid I just learned an expensive lesson.

Dan
Old 12-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Banned

I'm interested as to why you opted for the 945 instead of the 5945 which are even torquier for just an extra $17 (much less if you buy four at a time because most suppliers will give you over 10% discount).

The digital version is *sweet* and mine (which are actually the faster 5925 -- the only difference being the gearset) are rock-solid with just the harmonious singing of a tight deadband to let you know they're working.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:23 PM

I didn't go with the Hitec digital because I've seen too many problems with them at the field. Things such as locking at full deflection for apparent no reason. I know many here on RCU use them with no problems, but that's been my personal experience. Thought I'd play it safe and get a good analog coreless.

Dan
Old 12-19-2004, 02:03 AM
Banned

The only time I've ever heard of them locking hard-over is when someone's been using long extensions that are way too light (26 gauge or thinner) or too small a receiver pack (700mAH NiMH cells for example).

The problem in these cases seems to be that when the servo draws too much current for the battery pack and/or extensions to handle, the voltage at the servo drops below the reset level and the servo does a reboot. This reboot takes up to a second or so and during this time it stays right where it was when the reboot started. A second or so is plenty of time to smack a fast moving bird into the deck if you're flying low.

Of course servos are much more likely to draw high currents when driving a control surface to maximum deflection and if things are really bad, as soon as the reboot is finished, they'll start drawing excess current once more and reboot again -- etc, etc.

The golden rule with hi-torque digital servos is *never* skimp on the rest of your equipment.

Use only the best quality heavy duty extensions and make sure you're using a very high capacity NiMH (1700mAh or higher) or medium capacity NiCd.(1100mAH or higher).

I have many flights on my 5925/45 servos and most of that's been in my 3D ships with their *very* large surfaces and high control-surface throws/loadings. So far I've had nothing but perfect results and plan to buy more 5925/45 servos as soon as I can afford them.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:46 PM

XJET - Thanks for the info. The times I've seen them lock up, and stayed locked, was when the planes were on the ground during a radio check. When the switch was turned off you could move the servos, but when it was turned back on the servos locked backed in the same position. In fairness, there are others at the field who use them with no problems. I hope the problem with my analogs are figured out.

Dan