Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Servo Recommendation

Old 04-09-2005, 11:52 AM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Recommendation

Mike,

Two questions please.
#1: I have just ordered a 1.20 size Wildhare Edge 540T. The airplane will not be here for a couple of months and will be powered by a YS 110FZ. The plane is supposed to weigh in at around 10 1-2 to 11# completed. What servos would you recommend for this airframe?? I have 525MG'S, 625MG'S and 635HB'S on the shelf. The plane will be set up with Robart hinge points, 4/40 CF/Titanium pushrods and Dubro HD 6/32 control horns. Transmitter is an E-7 with a QPCM receiver and Hitec twisted wire extensions ( I think I own the factory). The plan is general sport flying and learning IMAC basic.

#2: If you are going to recommend a digital servo in lieu of what I have available, can the service department set up a set of servos for the dual elevators for me as the E-7 does not have this capability?? I do not wish to purchase a programmer for this venture.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:48 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo Recommendation

Any of the servos you listed should suffice nicely. The manufacturer most likely offers specific servo torque values for this model; I would heed careful attention to their recommendations.

Digitals would be NICE as they offer a higher degree of precision and repeatable performance, BUT most certainly they are not required.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:50 PM
olstoney

Mike,
Thanks for the information. After kicking this around with a few people, I am leaning towards the the 5600 series digitals, unless you have a better idea. If I go that way, can I have a pair matched by the service department for the elevators?? Thanks, Brian....
Old 04-11-2005, 06:17 PM
mglavin

Brian

The 5600 digitals would be an awesome application for your model.

Yes, Hitec Service can and will reprogram the servo to meet your needs. There are also dealers/Hobby Shops that offer this service as well.

Programming the servos as you've mentioned is an excellent alternative to accommodate the models dual elevator servo needs with your Eclipse TX.

Be sure and utilize HD quality extension and wye. Minimal connector count (in other ONE extension to the rear or a long wye extension) and 6.0V power is preferred.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:52 PM
olstoney

Mike,
After speaking to my battery supplier today (No BS), we were talking about two 4.8V 1650 Nimh packs that I have on the shelf running in parallel with two switches. We felt that this setup was more than adequate capacity and weight wise for the 1.20 sized airframe. Again, sport flying and IMAC basic, no 3D. The longest run will be 18" and I have all Hitec HD twisted wire extensions and Y'S, (I had some 18'S made from 24'S, as you don't offer them and wound up with two extra 6'S). Please have your factory think about offering 18'S as they are quite common in today's ARF'S.
I prefer not to go to 6V as I have had some big time issues with jittering with my other Hitec servos and IMHO a regulator is just something else to fail. The good news is that Tom Fawcett advised me today that a reverser is not needed for this airframe. The dual elevator system is set up for standard throws one up and one down.
Thanks for your time and expertise, Brian....
Old 04-11-2005, 07:06 PM
mglavin

Brian

6.0V should not be a problem with any of the standard size Hitec servos. I had used 6.0V for years in all my stuff, a point of reference; I used the unregulated original Duralite Lithium metal cells for a few years without issue as well. I’m onto the new Lithium Ion’s now.

In any event the 4.8V system should be fine with the capacity you noted. The secret is not to let the voltage degrade or become depressed with digitals. A marginally sized system can create an undesirable depressed voltage state under load.

May I suggest when it’s all said and done, you monitor the current draw of each servo and the combined flight system to assure you’re not having issues with binding and voltage depression. Simply stir the sticks as complete system check and look for servos that draw more current than others individually. There are several companies offering inline servo-connector ammeters for our models.

Have fun

Michael
Old 04-12-2005, 03:11 AM
olstoney

Mike,
Good idea about checking for the draws and thanks for the advice. Brian...
Old 04-20-2005, 12:23 PM
olstoney

Mike,
As an update, I was able to get the torque specs from the airframe manufacturer. The torque requirements are 75 oz on the elevators and ailerons, 120 oz on the rudder. With the information that I provided in the previous posts, could you please elaborate some both pro and con on the analog selections I mentioned that I had on the shelf?? If at all possible, due to financial considerations I would like to stay at 4.8v as I already have the previously mentioned servos and 1650 packs in stock. I will definately be using a redundant system with two 1650 Nimh packs and separate switches. Then the benefits of spending more $$$ perhaps to go 6v with the analogs and or the digitals. The projected all up weight will be in the 11-12# range YS 140 Sport for power. Thanks, Brian....
Old 04-20-2005, 07:24 PM
mglavin

525 on elevators/aileroons or 635HB on elevator and 525/625 on ailerons and 625 on rudder and a 635hb on throttle.

4.8V will be fine IMO.

pro; you own em and they will likley work just fine...

con; digitals are simply more precise, generally faster and they center better.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:50 AM
olstoney

Mike,
Thanks again I appreciate your assistance and input. Brian...
Old 04-22-2005, 05:44 PM
olstoney

Mike,
I checked with my LHS on the 5600 digitals. He has two sealed 5625'S on the shelf that he had had for quite awhile. He'll have to order two more of those and one 5645 for the rudder. Do I need to be concerned about any issues regarding the digital compatibility of the older servos compared to newer ones?? I want to make sure that everything is compatible with no programming issues. I think I read in some other posts about some programming issues. It had something to do with 1.03 vs 1.04, or something like that. I want to make sure that if I go that way that they all will have twisted wires, metal horns and be compatible.

It was also suggested that I consider the 6635HB, but I'm unsure due to the Karbonite issues. The torque is sufficent for the the Edge. The plane should weigh 11-12# all up. IMAC basic and some 3D is the intended purpose as I have now purchased a larger engine (YS 140). The upside on the 6635HB'S is they cost less and the gear train wear should also be less. The downside is the reported failures of the Karbonite gears and who want to lose a $800.00 investment. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian...
Old 04-26-2005, 08:57 AM
mglavin

As long as the aged servos are v1.03, they have the current software revision and are fine. Mixing revisions won't present any problems for you.

Do you have the programmer or intend to use one?

The v1.04 Digital servos realize an offset or deviation from programmed position if PROGRAMMED with the HITEC programmer. The deviation becomes a programmed parameter and is a constant throughout the travel arc.

Hitec has a software revision in the mill for those that feel the need.

The Karbonite gear train should work on this model, BUT we have had some failures on larger models, were cautioning users with this in mind. Karbonites on elevators and throttle would be a good choice IMO.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:24 AM
olstoney

Mike,
This will be my first experience with digitals. I do not find the need for and wasn't planning to buy a programmer. What is the latest version software that I should be looking for in any Hitec digital before I buy them? Which servo would you recommend for the throttle as the 6635HB seems overkill for that application IMHO. I'm curious as to why you wouldn't use the Karbonites on the ailerons? The better buys seem to be in four of the same servo if you know what I'm trying to say here. I have to oreder them by Friday to take advantage of some special deals. Thanks, Brian....
Old 04-26-2005, 11:08 AM
mglavin

v1.03 and or v1.04 are the latest offerings, either is fine.

Any Digital is more precise than its analog counterpart. Precision is desirable for throttle as you use it constantly; repeatable accurate results are the goal. The 6635HB is a little faster than the 5475HB sport digital.

Remember your listings are for sport digitals with 3-pole motors not our premium digitals with coreless motors, there is a difference.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:23 AM
olstoney

Mike,
So what are you advising me, or maybe I'm misunderstanding or getting confused? I need 75oz of torque on all the flight surfaces with the exception of the rudder. The rudder is suggested to be 120oz. Not to mention being quite expensive, wouldn't the coreless be kinda overkill and what would the problem be using the 6635HB's on the ailerons?" I thought the 5600 series was overkill until the Karbonite digitals were mentioned at the LHS. I would certainly hope that even 3 pole digitals would center better than analogs or am I mistaken. Maybe I'm just thinking into this too much, am I?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:54 PM
mglavin

ORIGINAL: olstoney
So what are you advising me, or maybe I'm misunderstanding or getting confused? I need 75oz of torque on all the flight surfaces with the exception of the rudder. The rudder is suggested to be 120oz.
Any servo that will develop the power required will suffice, obviously some will work better than others. I would use the digitals if I had to purchase new servos.

Not to mention being quite expensive, wouldn't the coreless be kinda overkill and what would the problem be using the 6635HB's on the ailerons?"
I don't think the coreless servos are overkill personally. I like the precision, speed and repeatable results afforded the modeler. Are they really needed, probably not? It’s all a matter of what your used to I suspect. The Karbonite gear train has been known to fail on surfaces that are demanding in single servo applications. A large aileron on a 3D model is a known problem IMO. You may have good luck with this setup and then again you may not. We have input both good and bad in simialr sceanrios, there are simply to many variables for us to turn cheek and suggest it will work without issue. I'm advising against using the HB's for ailerons on this model.

I thought the 5600 series was overkill until the Karbonite digitals were mentioned at the LHS. I would certainly hope that even 3 pole digitals would center better than analogs or am I mistaken. Maybe I'm just thinking into this too much, am I?
The 5600 series and the 6600 series servos are essentially the same servo less the gear trains. Yes, as I mentioned ANY digital is better than its analog counterpart! Notice I mentioned "counterpart", coreless against coreless or cored verses cored. However a 3-pole digital may not center as well as a coreless analog servo. It’s unknown to me to be honest. One of the things you have to consider when making this comparison is the coreless motor will infinitely stop at any desired location whereas a three or five pole motor can only stop between the poles. The digital amp will attempt to obey commanded or signaled position about 300 times more per second than an analog amplifier, so in theory they should be better regardless. Alas like all things there are caveats you gotta give a little to get a little.

See my previous post for recommendations for servos you have on hand. I would go there for the time being and later if you feel the need replace the servos and or the model and move up...
Old 04-27-2005, 04:23 AM
olstoney

Mike,
Your last explanation cleared the issues for me a little better, Thank you.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:46 AM
olstoney

Mike,
I ordered the 5625MG's for all the flight surfaces for the Edge except the rudder, that gets a 5645MG. Couldn't pass up the deal being offered and thought it was time to finally try the digitals. Throttle will be a 525BB that's on the shelf. I'm really interested to see how much better the digitals will center. My 625's, 645's and 635HS's leave a little to be desired IMHO, my 525's are great though. I may have asked you this before, but can you guys match a set of the 5625's for the split elevators for me? I have an Eclipse 7 and need to use a Y harness. One of the servos will not to be reversed to be used on this airframe. If so, what would the matching cost?? Thanks, Brian...
Old 05-11-2005, 04:05 PM
olstoney

Mike,
I have purchased the new 5600 series digitals, but never got a reply to my last post[]. Can you decipher the color and number codes on the servos for me?? I bought five digitals, four 5625'S and one 5645. They all have a different colored circle and number code on them. How can I tell a version 1.03 from 1.04?? If nothing else, I would like them all to be the same of something. The way these dealers pull stuff off the shelves is just unbelievable[:'(].
Old 05-11-2005, 05:17 PM
mglavin

Digitals have a revision number on one side of the case near the mounting tabs. Should be silver dot with v1.03 or ?

Yes, Hitec Service will be glad to program the servos for you. Simply instruct them of your needs.

Ask Hitec Service to reprogram all of them, this way they will all be of the same software revision.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:30 PM
olstoney

Mike,
Now that sounds like a plan!! Approximately what will the cost be?? Thanks, Brian...
Old 05-11-2005, 05:56 PM
mglavin

The only cost associated would be shipping to Hitec... In most cases return shipping is covered by Hitec. In any event if costs were incurred your Technician would contact you directly prior to performing the work with an estimate for authorization.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:08 AM
olstoney

Mike,
Thank you for the information, I'll get them out to your service folks the beginning of next week. Any idea on where I can get a 3" long dual servo arm for my new pull-pull rudder setup? My flying buddy said his came with the 5900 series servo he is using. Brian...
Old 05-12-2005, 08:03 AM
mglavin

Hitec offers the HD servo arms with some of the digital servos. Check with Hitec Service, they should be able to provide a servo arm set or there are several companies selling CNC aluminum and Dubro offers a HD arm set for Hitec servos as well.

Have fun