Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

How Do I Tighten-up 5925/5945 Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 05:14 PM
manleywc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Tighten-up 5925/5945 Gears?

Mike,

I have 2 HS-5925's on each wing of my 37% Extra, and 1 HS-5945 on each elevator. I am very satisfied with all aspects of the servos, except for the slop at center. I am concerned about flutter. The servos are less than one year old, and have been sloppy since the first day. I'm using rock solid Rocket City/Nelson hardware with Nelson sandwich type 1.25" arms. The majority of the slop is at the servo. On low, slow, passes the alerons can be seen wiggling up and down. I have read other forum posts on this issue, and I am convinced that there is nothing wrong with the servos. I need some recomendations on how to reduce the slop. In a previous post you mentioned adding grease. Do you have any other recomendations. Can I replace the metal gears with plastic? If so, what is the gear set part number? I can live with the reduced strength of plastic in the alerons. I have a pair 605's in a smaller plane, and they are very tight.

Cliff
Old 12-26-2002, 07:02 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new to digital servos, so please forgive my ignorance, but can't you reduce the slop by reducing the deadpan?
Old 12-26-2002, 07:30 PM
Glen Merritt

The deadband of the 59XX series is as tight as possible stock out of the box.

Look at your linkage geometry.

One issue is that you are probably using extreme throws on the servos and have the linkage 1.25 to 1.5 inches out from the output shaft to achieve this effect. In combination you may also have the linkage at the control surface too close to the hinge line also magnifying control surface movement, this can also cause flutter.

When this is done it magnifies the metal gear lash drastically.

Depending on how many flight ar4e on the plane you may wish to swap out those worn gears for new ones?

Try rotating all the gears, except the output shaft 180 or so degrees to give them fresh surfaces to wear on.

In the future use the new HS-5975HB servo, available in a couple of months.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:03 PM
manleywc

Thanks for the help. Can a resin/plastic gear set be used in the 59XX servos?
Old 12-27-2002, 10:36 PM
Glen Merritt

Sorry but there is no compatible resin gear set for the 59XX series. We will soon have the 5975HB which uses our super resin compound gears.

Glen Merritt
Hitec USA