Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Focus 3ch vs. Neon

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 01:00 AM
RandyH
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus 3ch vs. Neon

Hi,

I want to get back into RC after being out of the hobby for several years. I would like to fly small, electric park flyers. I've been looking at the Sky Scooter Pro 2. It comes with a Hitec Focus radio. I see that Hitec has a newer radio, the Neon. Can someone tell me the differences between the two, and will the Sky Scooter will be offered with the Neon?

Thanks,
Randy
Old 02-10-2003, 05:28 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

The Neon is the latest 3 channel single stick radio Hitec offers and is similar to the Focus 3. The Neon however, can be upgraded to have dual rates, end point adjustments, trainer, and a three position 4th channel. It will not be available with the Sky Scooter since it costs more than the Focus 3 AM.

Mike.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:32 AM
Catcher

I find myself in the same boat.
After reading a killer review of the Neon and only finding the Focus being offered with kits I made tracks to the hobbystores until I found one that had both on hand.
The Neon looks pretty much like the Focus, its case comes apart without tools - takes about 20 seconds, and the way it is designed in a smart way so this feature should not become a handicap. However, the need to take it apart only arises when you add or change an option, which you would normally do at home anyways. I applaud HiTec for offering this flexibility and how easy they made it - everything just plugs in (electronics) and the openings for additional toggle-switches are already there and capped off. I would hope that this is a trend here to stay and hopefully it will adapted by other manufactures/ applications as well.
The fourth channel is an on/off function only, I don't believe you can use it for ailruns in future models, it may be handy to drop bombs or take pictures from your Wingo.
As a beginner i was also interrested in the ATV feature, thinking that limiting or slowing down the controls may be benefitial. With the planes designed for beginners it somewhat becomes irrelevant because the ones I flew were pretty doggish in response anyhow.
The Focus on the other hand felt a little heftier in my hand, like something more substantial.
Now, my old-fashioned thinking was initially that it must be made better. But with todays manufacturing technologies I am not so sure. Some may like having to hold less weight in their hands for comfort reasons.
I am almost inclined to go with the Focus, the price difference was only $5 between the two (without option for the Neon) BUT, the thought lingering in the back of my head is a comment from the dealer.
He felt that HiTec would discontinue the Focus soon. I'm not sure if I want to buy an obsolete radio now, I am also not sure how accurate his input in this regard was.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:36 AM
Catcher

P.S.
I almost forgot,
most will sell you the kit with everything but the radio if you have your heart set on the Neon.
I talked to Hobby Lobby, they do not carry it yet but think they will make it part of their kits. If you can't wait you can buy the radio seperately elsewhere.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:23 AM
Lynx

Most mail order companies will change almost any item of a kit order if it gets you to buy it. All you have to do is be sly on the phone =) They'll take sub optimal profit over no profit ANY day.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:04 AM
Catcher

Amen