Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

5245 geartrain

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 11:55 PM
2lo
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5245 geartrain

Hello,
I have a couple of qeustions pertaining to the 5245's. First off
I read at the hitec website, warranty info, that they do not warranty the gear train. though unclear if it was for plastic or metal?

second qeustion, does hitec plan on making a metal gear for the resin gear that is directly driven off off the motor.

When hitec first came out with there digital servos and "metal gear train" I was under the assumption (I know I shoudn't
assume anything) that every gear in the servo train was to be metal. Well I purchased several of these and other hitec servos.
and initially pleased with the performance, until about 60 or so flight later one locked up on me, got it down no big deal,moved the servo gently by hand with no luck in making it move.
after reading an unclear warranty, I opened the servo to find the first driven gear stripped! purchased a gear set and here we go nice and smooth again, no problems since. had another one in another plane strip the same gear.
well yesterday I did my first harrier landing thanks to hitec, one of the elevator surfaces locked in full up deflection. talk about harry
any way I would rather be lucky than good.
But I think my lucks about out.

I really don't mind changing the gears out myself. in fact it is much quicker than sending them in -warranty or not.

Third time's a charm, read all the the bad hype about this and that
the only thing I've found wrong with hitec is the first driven gear.
I can't afford to take any more chances.

If this issue were to be resolved I think it restore faith in a lot of
flyers out there.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:10 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default 5245 geartrain

When the first standard sized digital servos came out they had a full metal geartrain including the first gear. There was a problem with this as the all metal set up created a slight bit of RF noise. This is the reason that ALL manufacturers metal geared servos use that one nylon gear off the motor. We went to work on solving the problem but needed to still maintain the strength that was laking with the nylon gear. We created the M/P first gear. This was a nylon outer gear that connected to the motor so the RF problem was solved but it had a metal inner pinion molded in that connected to the rest of the gears. This gave us the strengh; so much in fact that we were still able to guarantee the geartrain as "unbreakable!"

When the 5245 servo was released we did not have an M/P gear that size so we used nylon just as we have in the 205MG and 225MG (the same basic servo) for the past several years. However, knowing that people may try to use this powerful servo in larger application we went to work on developing the M/P gear for this servo too. I am pleased to say it is complete and it is going into all the new 5245's that will be produced. We will be getting the M/P gears by themselves in the near future and will be happy to send you a few to retro-fit your existing servos.

Again... one thing that is a common misconception is that all metal geared servos have 100% metal gears when in fact, even JR and Futabas top of the line digital servos that cost over $100 have one plastic gear. Hitec is the only one with the M/P gear technology in our standard sized digital servos.

Mike.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:43 PM
2lo
My Feedback: (4)

Default 5245 geartrain

Thanks Mike

what does M/P stand for?
Yes I am game, how would i know when the new gears are available?

forgotten about the R/F issue, nothings ever simple is it?
Old 03-25-2003, 10:26 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default 5245 geartrain

Metal/Plastic

They are on order so check back with me in a few weeks.

Mike.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:19 AM
JKos
My Feedback: (10)

Default How to tell the difference...

Mike,
How does one tell if a given 5245 has the new M/P gear or the older nylon gear? Is there an obvious outside indicator?

I plan to buy several of these soon and would like to make sure I'm getting the M/P version.

Thank you,
John Kos
Old 05-06-2003, 10:03 PM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

Default 5245 geartrain

I have sent several servos to hitec for gear replacement including a 5425 just last month. ALL my gear were replaced under warranty. As far as I am concerned, hitec has THE BEST warranty going.