Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

7.4v Servos

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:23 PM
rthorne
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.4v Servos

I see Hitec has a 5995 robot servo that can handle 7.4 volts. That would make it easy to run a 2 cell lipo without the need for a regulator.
However, the servo has 180' rotation. Would I lose resolution if I used my transmitter to reduce the throw?

Better yet is Hitec coming out with any 7.4 high torque servos with 90' rotation?

Rich
Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 7.4v Servos

The HS-5995TG is basically the same servo as the HS-5955TG minus the heatsink and the 180 degree programming. It is only intended for use in robots at the 7.4 voltage. If used in R/C you should only use a maximum of 6 volts. Why? Because if the servo fails in a robot it falls over; if it fails in a R/C plane it come crashing out of the sky!!!!

Yes, you will lose resolution if you reduce the EPA in the radio. If used you should reprogram them for normal travel. (Note you should be using the 5955's for R/C)

In the future we may indeed see servos that are made to run on a 2S lithium without the need for regulators but I don't have any info on when these may come.

Actually the best power source right now is probably the A123 batteries that are rated at 6.6v for a 2S pack. (I would suggest you search on this subject.)

Mike.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:45 PM
rthorne
My Feedback: (29)

Thanks for the info Mike.

Will the 5955 handle 6.6v or do I still need to plan on a regulator?

Rich
Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

6.6V is not a problem for any Hitec servo.

Mike.