Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Centering on Digitals

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 04:20 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centering on Digitals

Went to Toledo but every time I passed your booth you were a popular fellow. Ended up talking to your coworkers at the booth about the centering resolution issue but didn't really get a satisfactory answer. Thought you might want to clarify or correct thier answers for me.

Anyway, I have posted before about finding a Hitec servo with good centering and low backlash. You replyed and suggested some Hitec Digitals - thanks for the reply. I figured I'd wait until Toledo to buy.

I was told by the rep in Toledo that I should buy a few of the digitals and if I am not happy with a Hitec servo I can return it. Thats is a nice policy and I know he is just doing his job, but it dosen't gain me much if you just send be back another identical servo, so why buy them in the fisrt place?

The hitecs I have (all nondigital 6XX and 9XX) have a total centering (gear lash+deadband) of anywhere from two degrees to four degrees. The Hitec Rep in Toledo led me to belive that the Hitec digitals have a resolution of about 1 degree, which I will agree is much better than the other Hitecs I have tested. But, my futaba and JR servos have a total backlash+deadband less than 0.25 degrees witch is still four times better that the Hitec digital resolution at one degree. Additionally, some of the Fuataba/JR servos I tested were not digital (but they were coreless) and one nondigital coreless Futaba was four years old and had over 300 flights on it and it still tested under 0.25 degrees.

What I really need before purchase is a number. I'm not looking to give you a hard time or anything, I just want to know what the centering resolution is, i.e. gearlash+deadband. When I setup a plane for both 3D and presiction aerobatics it is critical that the servo centering resolution is very good becasue of the large surface movement. I dont' expect Hitec to necessiarly beat or even match Futaba/JR resolution, but I need to be close.

Could you please give me a straight anwser on this? I'll promise to give this subject a rest. If you want you can email me [email protected]. Thanks Mike.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:06 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default Centering on Digitals

I think you may have misunderstood what our rep told you, or he was mistaken. First off, about returning the servos... Hitec servos have a two year warranty that means if there is a problem we will repair or replace them at no charge. Stating that if you are not happy you can return them does not make any sense.

Second, the centering resolution... The Hitec digital have a dead band of 1us, that's as good as it gets! We don't rate servo centering on degrees, but dead band. An analog servos dead band is typically 4-8us. depending on the servo. The 59XX series servos are absolutely, positively the best servos on the market and will center as good, if not better, than the best servos of our competitors. The gear backlash is equally as good, if not better.

Many of the giant scale 3D type planes are using our servos. Every airplane in the Aeroworks booth had all 5945's in them, and they told me they were better than any servo they have ever used! Many of the other 35%-40% aircraft at the show had our digitals installed as well. The advantaged of the programmability and unbreakable gears, not to mention the price, give them an advantage over our competitors’ top of the line servos.

We are very proud of the performance of our digital servos. The 56XX series is a great economical choice and performs very similar to the higher priced non-digital coreless servos.

I hope this helps!

Mike.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:38 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default Thanks

Thanks... I deal with electronics on a daily basis and understand how deadband is measured. But there is more than just deadband that goes into centering and it was easy for me to measure centering in degrees with a laser and a mirror attached to the servo arm. Anyway, the only reason I have been pushing this isssue is that my 9XX and 6XX are a little to sloppy for how I wanted to use them and I just wanted to be sure I wasn't blowing a bunch of dough on your digitals. I will probably need over $1000 in servos for this year.

On your persistance that the Hitec digitals are in the same class (or better as you put it) as Futaba and JR, I will try some on my 25% first and if they work out as you say I'll use them on my 35%/40%. Thanks again.