Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

"Frostbyte II" still running warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Freezetron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Frostbyte II" still running warm

Allright, just got back in from around a 10-12 minute run with FB2 just outside the apt complex. I was driving it with a new RCM 18t pinion with standard 44t spur gear.

I ran in standard 2-3 inch recently mowed grass with a bunch of high speed runs, stops slide turns in and out of the grass and small sandpit whee the playground equipment was at. I stopped and checked temps several times and on my motor were showing around 120F at the hottest point according to my Duratrax flashpoint gun and the MMM fan was always running when brought the truck in.

I then moved onto flat, rocky dirt area that had random spots of fine dirt, small rocks laid out and random slippery grass/weed spots. I did a variety of high speed runs, slide turns, dead stop full throttle mashes, wheelies and just gave the truck a good hard run for around a minute or two and brought it back in a few times for temp measurements. The motor was now showing 154 F in the hottest area and I was showing around 120-130 F on the side of the ESC next to the motor with the fan always blowing.

I drove the truck back slowly on the concrete and disconnected my Turnigy 5200mah 30c 2s lipos and found the packs to be fairly warm. Not hot but definentely warm, warmest i've ever felt on them. It was sunny outside and around the 60's

So, even with the 20t to 18t pinion reduction, it looks like this XL conversion is still putting alot of load on the entire brushless system. I'm wondering if I need to step up to 6S power so it can move the heavier mass from the tires on a larger footprint from the XL conversion easier Or is it something else? My punch was at 0% with 0% brake drag, 30% brakes and 25% reverse throttle with LVC at 3.5v and timing set to normal. Keep in mind also that the motor endbell is still sealed with button bolts to keep dirt out of the motor, if that makes any difference

Input or suggestions?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:48 PM
AlienModified
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE:

I wonder if the button bolts are keeping the motor from sucking in cool air.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:25 PM
sharkattack99

Default RE: RE:

They could be for ventilation maybe? Take them out then run it if it runs cooler then u know if just put them back
Old 10-02-2010, 08:02 AM
rc person 577

Try to put the punch at like 25%. The punch control limits the amount of punch, 0% is the most punch, and 100% is the least punch, backward from what you might think.
Also, Try messing with the motor timing. I run it at 9 (stcok is 10) but try like 8 and go with it. that worked for me. When I am done running, the esc, motor, and batteries are warm.

The esc fan is normal. Mine (stock) is on all the time.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 AM
genitor

154 F is fine for the motor. Did you take the temps. of the batts also?

Old 10-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Freezetron

Default RE:

Most peeps agree that the buttons crews on the motor endbell won't make squat of a difference for motor temps, better to leave them and keep dirt out. I'll try running it today with 10% punch with more general bashing and monitor the temps. Looks like its time to get 6s powa to move this big thing but I dunno if I wanna spend the money for them when winter is so close, might have to wait until next spring
Old 10-02-2010, 01:05 PM
ArancioC5

How can anyone take you seriously if you name your toy truck "frostbyte 2?" Like it's a famous icon lol. Like your "build" thread, I just cant take you seriously and these rediculous names. Arent you like a grown man? Do you watch Star Trek or something? I'm asking you seriously, it is very strange behavior. Oh, and slapping on bolt-ons isnt a build thread, it's like building legos. Do something really creative, slap parts never meant to exist and then we can say it's a build thread.

Ice windus, freezeburn, frostbyte.... do you experience shrinkage often? lol
Old 10-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE:

The rational of the sealed endbell not making a different is that when you would mount the motor in a different vehicle, you bolt the front onto something, which basically seals the holes as well. (for those of you who missed it in the other thread
Old 10-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: ArancioC5

How can anyone take you seriously if you name your toy truck ''frostbyte 2?'' Like it's a famous icon lol. Like your ''build'' thread, I just cant take you seriously and these rediculous names. Arent you like a grown man? Do you watch Star Trek or something? I'm asking you seriously, it is very strange behavior. Oh, and slapping on bolt-ons isnt a build thread, it's like building legos. Do something really creative, slap parts never meant to exist and then we can say it's a build thread.

Don't like me or my work, don't bother reading my posts/threads, simple as that. FYI Star Trek blows, Star Wars FTMFW

Old 10-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

The rational of the sealed endbell not making a different is that when you would mount the motor in a different vehicle, you bolt the front onto something, which basically seals the holes as well. (for those of you who missed it in the other thread

Just got back from a great new little bash spot were they took down an old housing area, lots of bumpy and dusty terrain to really let rip with some hills to climb through. Better enjoy it while I can before they start rebuilding on it. FB2 temps were in safe range, dunno if punch control did much or not. I'll go again tomorro and take vids
Old 10-02-2010, 03:37 PM
sharkattack99

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

ORIGINAL: ArancioC5

How can anyone take you seriously if you name your toy truck ''frostbyte 2?'' Like it's a famous icon lol. Like your ''build'' thread, I just cant take you seriously and these rediculous names. Arent you like a grown man? Do you watch Star Trek or something? I'm asking you seriously, it is very strange behavior. Oh, and slapping on bolt-ons isnt a build thread, it's like building legos. Do something really creative, slap parts never meant to exist and then we can say it's a build thread.

Don't like me or my work, don't bother reading my posts/threads, simple as that. FYI Star Trek blows, Star Wars FTMFW

i love transformers grew up on them, lol sorry had to say it.

but thats good hope your temp problem is solved and why not drive in the winter unless you get some really really really bad ones that is. i do not for very long but i will drive in the winter mostly cause my hands get cooled. but i pay that kind of money im driving it when ever i want to, lol
Old 10-02-2010, 03:53 PM
ArancioC5

Default RE:

ok serious help... cut a small hole in the lower right (motor side, left if you are looking at it) windshieild of body and remove the top part of the servo box (old nitro battery box/ servo box), that should clear blockage from air entering the motor. I'd also tell your flux to stop looking at pictures of my old one because that might be getting yours very excited and hot

haha
Old 10-02-2010, 04:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

That is the gayest picture of megatron I've ever seen... Look at how he walks...