Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Newbie Jay

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 04:35 PM
j1273

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Jay

Hi Everyone
Im Jay
Im a nitro newbie. Ive got experience (limited) with electric buggies and last year learnt to fly 3de heli. Shelved that for now as King2 helis are not worth spending anymore money on.
This week I bought a second hand savage with a new thunder tiger 28 engine. As is to often the case the model shop I bought it from are not interested in me noiw they have my money.
My problem is I have not a clue which specific model mine is which is a problem as I noticed to missing screws on the engine mount plate. So ordering screws will be a problem as Im unlucky and am bound to order the wrong ones!! I have found some screw sets but I am faced with different savage screw sets.

Savage XL
Savage / x
Savage Flux
Can anyone please help and maybe tell me how I might be able to work out what savage I have
Cheers Guys
Jay
Old 11-20-2010, 05:35 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Newbie Jay

pictures would go a long long wayyy

i'd just start by looking on HPI's site at all the trucks and seeing which one is yours

the lug
Old 11-20-2010, 06:14 PM
cswtornado

You DON'T have a flux. Fluxes are electric. Also, is your roll cage metal or plastic, and does it have a little roll cage loop thing around its engine?
Old 11-20-2010, 06:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cswtornado

You DON'T have a flux. Fluxes are electric. Also, is your roll cage metal or plastic, and does it have a little roll cage loop thing around its engine?
Well he could just order a savage X screw set off ebay, and comes with EVERY screw(including spares).
I've had a Savage .21 I got used and it was missing 80% of its screws and the screw set worked like a charm

And the XL I'm 95% sure has he same amount of screws, and same screws

Flux is the only thing with different screws, and like cswtornado said you definitely don't have a flux.

Only thing I'd be worried about is that you actually have a savage though seeing the hobby shop was that shady to sell you one that is missing screws, and won't even talk to you now. Which IMO is kinda stupid seeing it probably would put you off of going there again.

Post a pic of it still
Old 11-21-2010, 03:59 PM
j1273

Hi
Thanks for your replies.
Gona check out the screw set on ebay now. I managed to find a screw thta half does the job in my diy screw box!!
The shop I got it from is the only one near me that isnt a model zone!! They are good there isa a great bloke who fixes in there sets my heli up lovely but he has nothing to do with customers.
I rang them asking if the engine was tuned for breaking in and they didnt have a clue even though the engine was fitted there!!
Consiquently I dont even know if Im damaging the engine by breaking it in too lean!!! And to top it all it started running badly today and stalling and sounding funny! I hate being a novice. Im thinking it could be the plug as it goes funny when I take the heater off.
Thanks again for your replies
Jay
Old 11-21-2010, 05:20 PM
cswtornado

Heater? .... How cold is it out?
Do you mean the glow plug ignitor?
Well all I can say is to watch some YouTube break in tutorials, and remember that new engines are SUPPOSED to run like ****. The "is it rich enough" test is to see whether lube is coming out of the exhaust pipe. If the rpms slowly drop and it turns off then its rich, if the rpms spool up until it either shuts off or YOU shut it off, then it's too lean. Engine tuning is really an art. What I do is tune it in the middle of the summer and not tune it for the rest of the year. It just gets colder, right?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:51 PM
j1273

Hi yes I mean ignigtor.
I love learning new thing and rc always been a big interest. Im looking forward to learning the art of nitro power. One day it will hld me in good stead for big helis.
I chose monster trucks because I want as few restrictions on where I run it as possible.
Anyway I put a new plug in and it runs better than the day I bought it. This upsets me because it shows the shop I bought it from stuck an old plug they had lying around. One would have thought wityh the money I was spending on it they could have put a new plug in for me.
Are you permitted to name and shame establishments that really dont benefit the rc comunity? I realy would love to.

Thanks everyone for your replies Im sure I will be asking more!!
Jay
Old 11-22-2010, 03:22 PM
cswtornado

Nah, they probably used a good plug. Break in is really hard on glow plugs because of the rich conditions and all the extra oil the thing has to burn off, with tons of friction also. My first plug that came with my NEW 4.6 burned out within the first couple runs also. (..I think.)
Old 11-22-2010, 03:35 PM
j1273

Hi thanks for that
I think ive found out what savage I have. I think its a savage 25 which has a 2 speed gearbox????? I thought I could hear a drop in revs with no drop in speed!!!!
Realy quite chuffed!! Ran lovely this eve looking forward to putting my 5th tank through at low revs. Im going to do 1 per eve untill the weekrnd.
Cheers Jay
Old 11-22-2010, 06:04 PM
cswtornado

All the Savages had 2 speed gearbox. The best way to tell the difference is by looking at the TVPs and the radio box.

Does your TVP look like this and your radio box look like this? Then you have Savage X, which is easier to work on and has better handling.

If your radio box is flat like this, and your roll bar is aluminum, you have a Savage 21 or 25, which "20" doesn't really matter since you have a new engine anyway. You won't have the "X" inscribed TVPs either.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:17 PM
j1273

Thats the one!!!
Ive got a savage 20 something.
Cheers for the pics I no less than nothing about computers would have taken me a day to put pics on!!!!
Cheers Jay
Old 11-23-2010, 05:01 PM
wolfie1

if you are struggling for bits the 3 main modelshops i use in the uk are modelsport uk, wheelspin models and apex models all also really helpfull and have heaps of savage spares in stock and have great websites with lots of pictures and explanations
Old 11-24-2010, 02:19 PM
j1273

Nice one cheers mate Need dogbones for the rear. But not knowing exactly what model mine is dont know which ones to order!!
Cheers Jay
Old 11-24-2010, 03:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

If I remember right I'm 99% sure you can get savage X dogbones.
I'm pretty sure that is what I put on my .21 when I snapped the stocks in half
Old 11-24-2010, 04:38 PM
cswtornado

Mostly anything from an X can be made to fit on a 25 (just call it a 25 )
Old 11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
j1273

Cheers Guys.
Am off to another shop with a very good reputation tomorrow. Taking my car with me cos yesterday the slipper clutch went!!! So Im going up there to tap the knowlege. I spoke to him on the phone and he seemed helpful and told me he will spare some time. I have a few thing I need to ask.
So I will see what tomorrow brings. One thing for sure I will be replacing the clutch and both rear dogbones tomorrow. Half the fun of rc for me is the learning and fixing!!
Nice one Jay
Old 11-26-2010, 04:45 PM
cswtornado

Hate those slippers. Wonder if there's a way to take them off and have it still run....

DUCT TAPE!
Old 11-26-2010, 05:17 PM
j1273

Ha I dont even know what they do!!!
I will tomorrow
Jay
Old 12-05-2010, 07:13 AM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

slipper takes the stress away from more important parts............ But in a savage MOST people are tightening them right down, so they will not slip at all. The savage is a heavy machine and the slipper just becomes a pain if it is set to the manuals specs.

Stay with a plastic spur gear, tighten the slipper down and replace the spur when it's chewed ($5 spur gear) If your mesh is set pretty good, there shouldn't be much problem anywhere.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:34 PM
j1273

Guys thanks again for all your replies
All have been helpfull as I do have alot to learn.
I am loving my savage it is a beast. Im a bit concerned I may not have run it in as good as I could have done. The engine note just doesnt seem to sound the same as my friends .21 engine. Come to think of it I dont even know what it should sound like!!
Am upset today all snow melted was hoping to run it properly today as Ive put about 12 tanks through it (new engine), so I went to the park and pulled a few times and broke the pullstart . I have a feeling they should last a bit longer than 12 tanks of fuel so can only assume Ive broke it because of my inexperience in starting a nitro engine???!!!
Jay
Old 12-05-2010, 02:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I think most people break a pull start when they are new.
As to the engine tuning, and how they should sound look up nitro tuning vids on youtube by Squirrelod he has some pretty damn good how to's.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 AM
cswtornado

It's not a lawnmower, don't tug it all the way out!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
j1273

Yeh Ive changed my style now!!
Fitted the pulstart then bad landing non a run today now iv e a broken wheel!!! Bodged it with a washer LOL
Cheap wheels???? Where can i get???
Jay