Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage spur gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:28 PM
209mark123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage spur gear

Ok Ihave a savage 4.6 Ihave only ran about 10 tanks through it but anyways Ichewed my spur gear up pretty bad the factory didnt set the mesh right Ithink. So anyways Ihave been trying to get the mesh just right with the new gear and Ihave been having a really hard time. Ihave been using the paper method and the way Ihave it set right now the paper comes out looking like a acordion but there are no black teeth marks is this good? A lot of the videos Ihave seen say you should see the black teeth marks on it ? Anyways Ihave been having a real hard time with it when Ifirst put it on and ran it it started to chew it up again so Istopped in till Iget it right someone please help.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:32 AM
RazurBlackz

Default RE: Savage spur gear

Forget the paper method and do it by feel. Here is how. The most important thing is that both gears are straight (parallel). Slide motor up to the clutch bell til its meshed snugly. Then snug up motor. Turn spur gear andit willfeels tight and crunchy; thats to tight. Then back off motor just atiny tiny hair then tightened motor screws. Turn again. It should now be smooth no crunchiness. Mainly what i feel for is just a very very small tick of movement of the spur gear when i hold the clutch bell tightly with my hand. Just a very,very smalltick of movement. Then spin spur gear it should smooth and haveno binds or crunchy noise or feel. Its gonna wear in some. After one good run check again. It will now be super smooth and still have that tiny tick of movement.
RB
Old 02-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: RazurBlackz

Forget the paper method and do it by feel. Here is how. The most important thing is that both gears are straight (parallel). Slide motor up to the clutch bell til its meshed snugly. Then snug up motor. Turn spur gear and it will feels tight and crunchy; thats to tight. Then back off motor just a tiny tiny hair then tightened motor screws. Turn again. It should now be smooth no crunchiness. Mainly what i feel for is just a very very small tick of movement of the spur gear when i hold the clutch bell tightly with my hand. Just a very,very small tick of movement. Then spin spur gear it should smooth and have no binds or crunchy noise or feel. Its gonna wear in some. After one good run check again. It will now be super smooth and still have that tiny tick of movement.
RB
I agree, but I'll add one trick. When trying to move the engine in or out, keep the mounting screws snug. Put a flat-bladed screwdiriver in one of the engine mounting plate slots, and using a twisting action, move the engine back or forth. Once done, do a final tightening of the screws.

Doing this makes the whole process quicker and easier. If you leave the screws loose, the mesh will change as you tighten them up, so leave them slightly snug and use the screwdriver until the adjustment is made, then tighten down.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:40 AM
209mark123

Thanks for the advice guys I will deffinitely give it a try
Old 02-26-2011, 12:06 PM
esavagenoobie

Setting the gear mesh on nitro motors, something i never understood how to do LOL... Electric is easy, you adjust 2 screws
Old 02-26-2011, 10:20 PM
RazurBlackz

I figured loosing meant just loose, I didn't feel explaining that detail was necessary. I explained the important stuff. How did go 209mark123????????
RB
Old 02-26-2011, 10:31 PM
RazurBlackz

esavagenoobie We don't care about how you set up electric, Does it sound like we are talking about electric duh!.....HERE's Your SIGN..stay in your lazy boy forums.
RB
Old 02-26-2011, 10:46 PM
209mark123

I did what u guys suggested I ran about 1 1/2 tanks through it today I see some very small black flakes comein from what im guessing is the spur gear is this normal there isnt a lot of play with the spur gear when I hold the clutch bell but Im not sure I hate to rip up another spur gear even though I have another one but still Im thinkin about goin to a steel spur gear.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:22 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: esavagenoobie

Setting the gear mesh on nitro motors, something i never understood how to do LOL... Electric is easy, you adjust 2 screws
ThunderbirdJunkie does it exactly the same on his electrics as he does on his nitros. The only difference is there are 4 WHOLE SCREWS instead of two.

It's really not that hard, dude.

ThunderbirdJunkie sets his mesh by feel with his 1/10 2w electrics as he does his 1/8 4w nitros. If you honestly think FOUR WHOLE SCREWS is too much, you should probably have stuck with this:
Old 02-27-2011, 01:24 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: 209mark123

I did what u guys suggested I ran about 1 1/2 tanks through it today I see some very small black flakes comein from what im guessing is the spur gear is this normal there isnt a lot of play with the spur gear when I hold the clutch bell but Im not sure I hate to rip up another spur gear even though I have another one but still Im thinkin about goin to a steel spur gear.
Steel spurs only tear up your clutchbell. the black flecks of material are more than likely from your clutch. The only REAL upgrade the later model nitro Savages really NEED is an aluminum clutch.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:03 AM
RazurBlackz

209mark123 Did you make sure the gears are perfectly parallel with each other, like I said. Also, did you hold the clutch bell real tight with your
hand and feel ever so slight movement that that spur gear should have? After doing this does the the spur spin smoothly with no binds. If so,
you got it set right, Be sure to use tiny
split lock washers and (blue)loctite on all motor mount screws.
RB

Old 02-27-2011, 12:27 PM
209mark123

Yeah they look paralell to me Iam going to pull it out again today and see whats going on when Ihold the clutch bell there is a slight tick when Imove the spur gear back and fourth.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 PM
RazurBlackz

Thats it, sounds perfect. Run it.
RB
Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 PM
209mark123

OK thanks for the helpbut the black flakes dont think its anything to worry about?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

It's from the crappy clutch shoes HPI puts in the Savage. Install good clutch shoes and you'll never see those again.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:13 AM
RazurBlackz

209mark123 The spur is good though, zero signs of wear?? Just replace the the clutch shoes then,
likeThunderbirdJunkie said. That should get you fixed up.Also,Did youvisuallyinspect the
clutch bell for nicks in the metal teeth?, maybe a rock got in the
first time when you ate the first spur gear.

RB
Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 AM
cswtornado

Quit the large fonts they make you look like a N00BI3
Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 AM
209mark123

Allright no there is some teeth marks on the spur gear but I think that was from when I first put it on I am keeping an eye on it. I am thinking about ordering the aluminum clutch is that a good one?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM
sparky 25

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: esavagenoobie

ThunderbirdJunkie does it exactly the same on his electrics as he does on his nitros. The only difference is there are 4 WHOLE SCREWS instead of two.

It's really not that hard, dude.

ThunderbirdJunkie sets his mesh by feel with his 1/10 2w electrics as he does his 1/8 4w nitros. If you honestly think FOUR WHOLE SCREWS is too much, you should probably have stuck with this:
I`ve still got one of those[&:]
Old 03-01-2011, 09:23 AM
RazurBlackz

209mark123 Just stay with the stock parts dude,they are cheaper and they work just fine. You have already passed gear messing 101 with an A+.The only that is not bone stock on my Savage X 4.6 RTR is a HPI chrome pipe and bullet proof front and rear differentials. I run a medium range glow plug and Byrons gen2 20 % nitro and she run 48-49 mph everyday. I have replaced one rotostart one-way bearing,a couple shock parts, one glow plug (my fault) and one spur gear only because the engine mount screws came loose. BlueLOCTITE everything!! Rock and Roll.
RB

Old 03-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just stay with the stock parts dude,they are cheaper and they work just fine.
There's a lot to be said for sticking with the stock parts:

Old 03-02-2011, 12:10 PM
BudBud

A lot of spur gear failures are from clutch bell bearing failures. Keep an eye on those... Along the same lines, I think a lot of clutch bearing failures come from spur gears being too tight. Glen
Old 03-02-2011, 12:36 PM
209mark123

Thanks guys I picked up a racing cluutch bell for cheap on ebay and a HPI steel spur gear for a quarter of what they normally cost so just to see what all the hype is about the thing is I had to match my spur gear teeth to my clutch bell my ration will be 15/49  think thats ok I called HPI and they said it should be allright.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:45 PM
BudBud

If you are running short tires, like 5.5" or less, that will be a pretty low gear ratio. You will have lots of power, but not much speed. Great for short tracks, jumps, deep grass, rough country etc... Glen
Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Argess

Just stay with the stock parts dude,they are cheaper and they work just fine.
There's a lot to be said for sticking with the stock parts:

lol you have a picture for just about everything dont you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.