Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Replacement tires for a Savage Flux?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Mysterious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement tires for a Savage Flux?

Am I reading the HPI site correctly that for a new pair, 2 tires mounted, it's $55?

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/4709/

So to buy 4 new tires its $110?

Anywhere else that sells them much cheaper?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 PM
aussiexl59

Default RE: Replacement tires for a Savage Flux?

hopmeup on ebay.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HPI-SAVAGE-F...item48406bd154
http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Savage-Flux-...item1c1bc56a82
just to grab 2 off the 1st page
Old 05-26-2011, 02:48 PM
steed2-inactive

grab a set of proline tech 5 rims and then choose your rubber. dont go with mashers as they turn into saw blades at speed. the tech 5 rims look sick, so do the warlock rims but for only one run, and i literally mean one run...in my experience...this coming from the guy who has warlock/gt-2's on 3 of his trucks. just a though. but then again you cant beat those ebay prices! cheers bud!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: steed2

grab a set of proline tech 5 rims and then choose your rubber. dont go with mashers as they turn into saw blades at speed. the tech 5 rims look sick, so do the warlock rims but for only one run, and i literally mean one run...in my experience...this coming from the guy who has warlock/gt-2's on 3 of his trucks. just a though. but then again you cant beat those ebay prices! cheers bud!
can't argue the saw blades about the mashers
got them on my truggy and they ay 70% throttle I want to saw are about 2 inches more in diameter
Hell glad I only paid $1 for the set brand new
Old 05-26-2011, 04:33 PM
steed2-inactive

i paid full pop for them. (30 bucks for 2) allthough they are the 40 series size mashers and are frickin huge! they were on my flux but i didnt like them, they now live on my tmaxx and the truck looks mean!! the 3.3 clutch gets beat with them but once moving the truck handles them fairly well!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xv63802.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	1614969   Click image for larger version

Name:	yw68482.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	1614970  
Old 05-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Alain2

How are the mashers at low speed for bashing? I just ordered a set to put on offset ofna pirate wheels, you guys make me anxious.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Freezetron

The stock tires suck, don't go back to those, anything else is better. Lotta people use the mashers and have good luck with them, its a popular all around tire.

FB2 tires/wheels are shot. They got plenty of tread left but the winter use has weakned the CA glue and most of the tires are coming off the rim and two of the wheels are cracking in places, not to mention all my hard work taping job has come off on each wheel, so they are completely unbalanced. Last time I use Mugen rims and tape my tires thats for sure.

Wanna get something lighter so its easier on my drivetrain and motor, so I'm gonna order a set of these this week and some white wheels from HPI as well. Then I can hopefully freaking drive my Flux for awhile and stop put money into it...

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/HPI-Dirt-...4-p-17532.html

Old 05-29-2011, 04:48 AM
steed2-inactive

keep in mind the those tires look even bigger on a savage as the t maxx is a wee bit bigger than a savage and the control arms on a savage are a little shorter also which causes 40 series mashers tires to rub stock gt-2 bodies at the back.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

The stock tires suck, don't go back to those, anything else is better. Lotta people use the mashers and have good luck with them, its a popular all around tire.

FB2 tires/wheels are shot. They got plenty of tread left but the winter use has weakned the CA glue and most of the tires are coming off the rim and two of the wheels are cracking in places, not to mention all my hard work taping job has come off on each wheel, so they are completely unbalanced. Last time I use Mugen rims and tape my tires thats for sure.

Wanna get something lighter so its easier on my drivetrain and motor, so I'm gonna order a set of these this week and some white wheels from HPI as well. Then I can hopefully freaking drive my Flux for awhile and stop put money into it...

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/HPI-Dirt-...4-p-17532.html

weird I find the stock are decent all around tires
Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 AM
steed2-inactive

the gt-2 tires are awesome. for some reason freeze put the old savage tires on his truck...maybe they are crap. i personally have no experience with them
Old 05-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

weird I find the stock are decent all around tires

I thought so to until I tried the GT-S tires and they grip a helluva alot more then the GT-2. Problem is, they weigh alot more and dohnut easily. I hated the look of the mashers on Flux so much I didn't even run them once. I wanna give the Dirt Claws a try this round. Had badlands once before to on the wrong sized wheel. Gripped well in loose stuff but the wrong rim made it slide around horribly, my fault. Tried Axial wheels also, and they stripped easily at the hubs, worthless POS. Not impressed with the mugen rims either on FB2. They were slightly too small and I couldn't get the tires to be seated and glued all the way around, so they slowly worked their way off the rim. Plus, two of them are already cracking. Guess thats why they were $8 on amain.......

Old 05-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Croozer
My Feedback: (1)

How does the Proline Tech 5/Big Joe combo hold up?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Personally I've been running the HB tires on UFO rim combo on my flux.
Not so much that I like them more than the stocks, but more so on the fact I got them for $5 a set from HB when they had the sale.
They are quite a bit heavier than the stocks, but I find that somewhat helps with the wheelies (even though I can still flip in in a heartbeat)
Seeing I got a 150A setup in it now my ESC, and motor don't even warm up much even with those big ass tires

BTW that pick was from before I totally ruined that body
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51315.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1616376  
Old 05-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Mysterious

So, is it the opinion the stock flux tires are not good???? [X(] Wouldn't a slightly softer tire grip better? Would different tires make a noticeable difference on a dirt RC racetrack?

I'm planning to go racing a bit at the local club this year in the newbie class... if different tires would make noticeable difference I might invest in a set... the track looks like this... though I think they are reconfig'ing it to have some more looping back & forth turn in the center:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...C/P5140014.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...C/P5140006.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...C/P5140007.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...C/P5140008.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...C/P5140009.jpg
Old 05-29-2011, 04:12 PM
hilifemt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're going to race, get some track tires. proline calibers are a good all around tire for the track. you can get their old line of track tires, crimefighters and bow ties pretty cheap on ebay right now.

hey freeze, the sand pit in the backround looks nice, is that private property? since I moved to MT, alot of the gravel and sand pits seem to be no trespassing with high fences
Old 05-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Mysterious

What kind of tire is best for dirt tracks? Our local one looks pretty soft dirt... has some clay.... are you looking for HARDER tires with exagerrated stud patterns? Is that what grips best? Any tutorials or comparisons on the web that'd explain?
Old 05-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: hilifemt

hey freeze, the sand pit in the backround looks nice, is that private property? since I moved to MT, alot of the gravel and sand pits seem to be no trespassing with high fences

Used to be, but Denny Washington gated it off last year because someone was stealing his dirt, so we don't have it anymore. Was an awesome place to go bashing in.